Imágenes de páginas

ped from him, that he despaired of his recovery, in spite of all the attempts that were made to inspire him with hope and comfort. Various steps, which he did not think it necessary to describe, were recommended, with a view to allay his extreme irritation; but he objected to all of them in succession, ultimately insisting upon being allowed to go to bed, without making any attempt to produce relief, on the ground that he felt he must have a wretched life, and that if he were to use any medical prescription, it would only have the effect of taking away all his confidence in the powers of medicine. When witness saw Sir Samuel next morning in company with Drs Babington and Roget, he found his situation considerably altered. His skin, which the night before was quite dry, was then bedewed with moisture. He appeared much quieter as to his bodily agitation, but he was extreme ly concise in his answers, and said nothing which would have justified a more favourable opinion with regard to the ; state of his mind. On the contrary, all that was related to witness and Dr Babington, respecting the patient's state during the night, evinced an increased degree of internal agitation. From Sir Samuel's apparent tranquillity in the former part of the night, Dr Roget, who slept in his room, was led to suppose that he had enjoyed a few hours sleep; but Sir Samuel, upon the inquiry being made, declared that he had had no sleep whatever. This was the last interview which witness had had with the deceased.

[ocr errors][merged small][merged small]

Dr Marcet. It is impossible to say what consequences might follow from such causes. I should have deemed the case extremely alarming if such. symptoms had appeared in other men ; but relying on the firmness of Sir Samuel Romilly's mind, the idea of such a fatal catastrophe as has occurred never once entered my contemplation.

Dr Babington deposed, that he attended yesterday between ten and eleven o'clock at the house of Sir Samuel Romilly, in consequence of an urgent note from his friend Dr Marcet. Previous to his going up stairs to the bedroom of Sir Samuel Romilly, he had an opportunity of learning from his friends, Drs Marcet and Roget, all that had occurred antecedently to his arrival. His visit to Sir Samuel was therefore short. He found Sir Samuel in a situation corresponding exactly with the account which his medical friends had given him. He had, therefore, but a few questions to put to Sir Samuel, and these that worthy man answered with the most perfect distinctness, although his manner appeared peculiarly thoughtful and reserved. "I," said the witness, "expressed my hopes to the patient, that, from the change which had taken place in his situation, more especially from the apparent quietude which he had experienced in the night, and the perspiration which had occurred, we should have the satisfaction of finding a farther improvement when we had the pleasure of seeing him again in the evening." Witness then left Sir Samuel, and the consultation took place in another room; but the particulars of that consultation, or the measures recommended for the patient, it was not usual to describe on these occasions.

Coroner. Do you concur with the account given by Dr Marcet as to the state of Sir Samuel Romilly's mind? Dr Babington.-From what I heard


and saw, I cannot hesitate to say, that I consider Sir Samuel Romilly to have been deranged at the time the melancholy event took place which you are engaged in investigating.

did not reach the place in time. Two of the men were observed struggling for a long time, endeavouring to reach the rocks. Two of the crew were named Burton (brothers,) and belong

After a short address from the Co-ed roner, the Jury found a verdict, that the deceased had cut his throat in a state of temporary mental derange


The inquest continued from eleven till half after four o'clock.

The vicinity of the deceased's residence in Russell Court was crowded during the day by numerous inquirers, who were doubtful of the truth of the mournful event.


3d. This morning the Lord Chancellor took his seat, at a few minutes past ten o'clock. The court was crowded to excess, but not a single Counsel or Solicitor was present, from motives of respect for the memory of Sir Samuel Romilly. The Lord Chancellor left the court after sitting one minute. The venerable Lord was evidently much affected, the tears rolling down his face as he looked to the place where he had so often heard him with admiration. The melancholy event struck every person present with anxiety, and was regarded by all as an irreparable calamity. The Vice-Chancellor also did not sit, on account of the same deplorable catastrophe.

LOSS OF A KIRKCALDY PINNACE.— One of the pinnaces plying between Kirkcaldy and Leith, went down, at the Sea-field rocks, and all on board, consisting of (it is supposed) eight passengers and three boatmen, were drowned. It is reported that the master of the pinnace was left ashore in a state of intoxication, and that the remaining three of the crew, who were on board, were in the same situation.

The fatal catastrophe was seen from the shore, and boats were sent from Kirkcaldy to their assistance, but they

to Kirkcaldy. Of the passengers, we have heard of three only that are known, viz. Shaw, cooper of the Sisters Greenlandman of Kirkcaldy; a daughter of Robert Davidson, West Wemyss; and the miller of the Middle Mill, above Dysart. This man's wife and child were with him in Leith, but they fortunately sailed to Pettycur; he had also a dog with him belonging to a person in Leith, which made its way to the shore. The animal was brought back to Leith on Tuesday by a gentleman, who reports that eight hats and a lady's basket-reticule were found on the beach.

DEATH OF THE QUEEN. "Whitehall, November, 17th, 1818. "This day, at one o'clock, the Queen departed this life, to the inexpressible grief of all the Royal Family, after a tedious illness, which her Majesty bore with the most pious fortitude and resignation. The many great and exemplary virtues which so eminently distinguished her Majesty, throughout her long life, were the object of universal esteem and admiration amongst all classes of his Majesty's subjects, and render the death of this illustrious and most excellent Princess an unspeakable loss to the whole nation."

Her Majesty was born on the 19th of May 1744, and, till the last two years of her life, has enjoyed an almost uninterrupted state of good health.

The first change of a serious nature in the state of the Queen was on Monday afternoon, which was of such a pa. ture as to cause Sir Henry Halford to write to the Prince Regent ; and the language of the letter was such as to induce the Regent to send for the

Duke of York, to accompany him to Kew Palace. Their Royal Highnesses remained at Kew till near one o'clock, when her Majesty having recovered from her serious attack, their Royal Highnesses left their afflicted parent for the night. Her Majesty, however, passed a disturbed night, but only si milar to what she had frequently done for some time past.

At half-past nine o'clock, the bulletin was forwarded to town in the customary manner; and the groom, who carried it, was the bearer also of a letter from the Physicians to the Prince Regent, describing the variations which had taken place in her Majesty's disease, after his Royal Highness's departure.

The messenger, however, had not left the Palace more than three quarters of an hour, when her Majesty became so much worse, that a second messenger was dispatched to Carlton House, to request the immediate attendance of his Royal Highness. Couriers were also sent off at the same time to the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Baillie, Mr Robert Keate, and Lady Halford. Centinels were placed at the extremity of Kew Green to prevent carriages, with inquirers, from approaching the Palace; other messengers were dispatched to the Duchess of York, at Oatlands, the Duke of Sussex, at Tunbridge Wells, and the Princesses, at Windsor Castle.

The Archbishop reached the palace shortly after twelve o'clock; and almost immediately afterwards the Prince Regent and the Duke of York arri


By this time, all hope of her Majesty's surviving the paroxysm was at an end; her respiration was most laboriously performed; the tension on the side was almost to suffocation, and symptoms of mortification had begun to manifest themselves in the lower ex

tremities. Every possible mode of attempting relief was resorted to, but it became more and more evident, every minute, that a fatal termination of her Majesty's sufferings was at hand.

Immediately on the arrival of the Prince Regent and the Duke of York, Sir Henry Halford had an audience of their Royal Highnesses in the great drawing-room; the Princess Augusta and the Duchess of Gloucester were also present; when Sir Henry announ. ced that there was no longer any hope of their august parent surviving the paroxysm. Their Royal Highnesses received the melancholy information with the most poignant affliction. The Princess Augusta, in particular, was so much afflicted, that for some time she suffered under an hysterical affection. Their Royal Highnesses repaired to the chamber of their expiring parent, who, we are happy to say, was perfectly sensible of their presence.

About a quarter before one o'clock, the Archbishop of Canterbury was introduced into the Royal Chamber, when his Grace administered the Holy Sacrament to her Majesty.

At this time the Royal sufferer appeared free from pain, but she was nearly exhausted; and at 20 minutes past one o'clock, she breathed her last, so gently, that it was almost unperceived by those who were so anxiously watching her.

The scene was truly distressing, and the Prince Regent had the trying task of supporting his mother in her last breathings, a fit though melancholy close of his incessant attendance day and night, and of his anxious contrivance of every expedient that could administer relief and comfort to his

parent, in her long and afflicting illness of six months. His Royal Highness was assisted by the Duke of York and their Royal sisters. The expiring scene-the heart-rending feeling of the

Regent, and all present, it is equally impossible and unbecoming to attempt to describe.

The Prince Regent and the Duke of York remained afterwards with their illustrious and afflicted sisters, till three o'clock, when they set out toge. ther, in the Prince's carriage, on their return to Carlton House.

About nine o'clock last night, Mr Mash of the Lord Chamberlain's Office, and Mr France, the royal undertaker, arrived at Kew palace, to make arrangements for the funeral of the Queen.

St Paul's bell, and those of all the other churches of the metropolis, tolled at intervals throughout the whole of the evening; the several theatres were shut, and published notices that they would remain shut till further notice; and most of the shops in Bond Street, Piccadilly, &c. were half closed on the melancholy occasion.

The Duke of Norfolk, as hereditary Earl Marshal of England, is expected in town this day, to issue the customary recommendation for a general mourning, tocommence on Sundaynext. The first communication which arrived in town of the melancholy tidings, was about half past two, at Carlton House, by communication, sealed with black, to Viscount Sidmouth, as Secretary of State for the Home Department; together with a letter to Sir Henry Torrens, from the Duke of York, to postpone his Royal Highness's levee. The intelligence was soon circulated, and inquiries were made very numerously at Carlton House; and at three o'clock the fol. lowing notification was issued:

"Carlton House, Nov. 17. "Her Majesty expired at one o' clock this day, without pain."

It was written on paper with wide black edges.

Shortly after, the following letter, sent by Lord Sidmouth to the Lord

Mayor, was placarded at the Mansion House :

"Whitehall, Nov. 17.

66 My Lord, It is my painful duty to inform you of the death of her Majesty the Queen. This melancholy event took place at Kew Palace, at one o'clock this day.

"I have the honour to be "Your Lordship's most obedient, "SIDMOUTH.

"To the Right Hon. the Lord Mayor."

Lieutenant-General Geo. Murray, chief of the staff of the English army of occupation, has published at the head-quarters, at Cambray, the fol lowing

ORDER OF THE DAY. "Field-Marshal the Duke of Wellington cannot take leave of the troops whom he had the honour to command, without expressing to them his gratitude for the good conduct which has distinguished them during the time that they have been under his orders.

"It is now nearly three years since the allied sovereigns confided to the Field Marshal the chief command of that part of their forces which circumstances rendered it necessary to keep in France. If the measures which their Majesties commanded have been executed in a manner to give them satisfaction, this result must be wholly attributed to the prudent and enlightened conduct manifested on all occasions by their excellencies the generals commanding in chief; to the good exam. ple which they have given to the other generals and officers who were subordinate to them, as well as to the effects of these latter to second them; and lastly, to the excellent discipline which has always prevailed in the contingents.

"It is with regret that the general has seen the moment arrive when the dissolution of this army was to put an end to his public connexion, and his pri vate relations, with the commanders and

[ocr errors]

other officers of the corps of the army. The field-marshal deeply feels how agreeable these relations have been to him. He begs the generals command. ing in chief to receive and to make known to the troops under their orders, the assurance that he shall never cease to take the most lively interest in every thing that may concern them, and that the remembrance of the three years, during which he has had the honour to be at their head, will be always dear to him.

(Signed) "G. MURRAY, "Lieut.-General, and Chief of the

Staff of the Allied Army."

STEALING OF MR HORSLEY'S CHILD. Bow STREET.-On Wednesday the 11th, Mr Horsley, of Canonbury Lane, Islington, who on Sunday lost his son, who, together with his infant sister, had been taken out by a female servant in a child's chaise, attended before Mr Hicks and Mr Birnie, the sitting magistrates, accompanied by a friend, and stated that they had found a witness who had seen a man take the infant, which is only a year and a half old, out of the chaise, when it was left near the Asylum, and walk away with it. It appeared to the man a singular circumstance, and he was induced to follow the thief, who in the Borough went into a liquor shop, where he had a glass of gin; the wit ness went into the liquor shop, and had a full view of the man and the child; and, from his description, there is no doubt of the infant being Mr Horsley's. The thief left the liquor shop, and proceeded towards London bridge, where the witness lost sight of him. Mr Horsley was so much affected, he was not able to state his case; and Mrs Horsley being in a pregnant state, he was fearful of the consequences. The circumstances, however, were clearly related by his friend, who stated, that they considered the se

duction of the servant girl away, as an under-plot to getting the child. There was no doubt, however, but that she had been induced to take the children in that direction, for she was restricted from taking them out of Canonbury Lane, or very near it; whereas she had been seen going away, on Sunday, crossing the Shepherd and Shepherdess' Field, and pulling the chaise with both her hands, apparently as fast as she could. She had not taken any precaution for herself to stay out, as she had no other clothes but those she had on. It was strongly suspected that she went to a house of ill fame in Mead's Row, near the Asylum, kept by a woman of the name of Patch. Her parents, or any of her relations or friends, had not heard any thing of her. They suspected that she had been murdered, or destroyed herself, but they did not state their reasons for thinking so. They stated, that they had been at the Police Office in Union Street to give similar information, and they intended to go to the Secretary of State's Office for the Home Department to apply to the Secretary and Under Secretary of State.

16th. The stealing of Mr Horsley's boy, who is not yet found, has become of so much public interest, that he has not only received every possible assistance from the Police Office, but from the Post Office, and other establishments. The examination was resumed by Mr Birnie on Thursday. He sent for Elizabeth Holbrook, the servant, who has been found, and examined her privately, and very minutely, as to the whole of the transactions she had with the man, who said his name was George Faulkner, and who made her the dupe, for the purpose of getting possession of Mr Horsley's boy. After a long examination of the girl, it appeared that no improper or criminal connexion had taken place between them, as erroneously stated. The first thing Mr Birnie

« AnteriorContinuar »