« AnteriorContinuar »
preaching, and proclaiming the glad tidings of the kingdom of God; and the twelve being with him, 2. And also certain women who had been cured of evil spirits, and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went seven devils, 3. And Joanna, the wife of Chuza, Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others, w•ho ministered to him of their substance.
4. Now much people being come to him out of every city, he spake by a parable. 5. A sower went out to sow his seed:—and, as he sowed, some fell by the way-side; and was trodden down, and the fowls of the air devoured it. 6. And some fell on a rock; and being sprung up it withered, because it wanted moisture. 7. And some fell among thorns; which sprang up with it, and choked it. 8. But others falling on good ground, sprang up, and yielded fruit an hundred fold. And having said these things, he cried, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.
9. Now his disciples asked him, What means this parable? 10. Then he said, To you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God, (as ye are more spiritually minded) but to others in parables (suited to their capacity); because in seeing they perceive not, and in hearing they understand not.
11. % Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. 12. Those by the way-side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and takcth away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. 13. They on the rock, arc those who, on hearing, receive the word with joy; but having no root, tho' they believe a while, yet in time of temptation, they fall away. 14. And these which fell among thorns, are they who having heard, go forth, and are choked with cares, and riches, and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection. U. But these on the good ground, are they, who, having heard the word, keep it in an honest and good heart, and bring forth fruit with patience.
16. No man lights a candle and covers it with a vessel, or puts it under a couch, but sets it on a candlestick, that they who enter in may see the light. 17. For nothing is secret that shall not be made manifest; nor is any thing hidden, that shall not be known, and come abroad. 18. Take care, therefore, how ye hear; for whoever improves what he hath, to him more shall be given; and whoever improves not what he hath, from him shall be taken even what he seemeth to have;—(the outward appearance and name that he has).
19. ^[ Then came his mother and his brethren, but could not come at him for the multitude.
20. Now some told him, saying, Thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to see thee. 21. But he said to them, My mother and my brethren are they who hear the word of God, and do it.
22. % Now, on a certain day, he went into a ship with his disciples, and said to them, Let us go over to the other side of the lake; so they launched forth. 23. But as they sailed, he fell asleep; and there came a tempestuous wind on the lake; and the ship being filled with water they were in danger. 24s Then they came to him, and awoke him, saying, Master, Master, we perish. Then he arose, and rebuked the wind, and the raging of the water, so they ceased, and there was a calm. 25. Then he said to them, Where is your faith? But they, being afraid, wondered, saying one to another, What sort of man is this!.who commands even the winds and water, and they obey him,. .'
26. Then they arrived at the country of the Gadarenes, which is opposite to Galilee.
27. And having landed, there met him from the city, a certain man, possessed of devils a long time, and wore, no clothes, nor abode in any house, but in the tombs. 28. And seeing Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him, and said aloud, What hast thou to do with me, Jesus, thou Son of God most high? I beseech thee, torment me not. 29. For he had commanded the unclean spirit to come out of the man. For it had often seized him; and being bound with chains and fetters, he brake the bands, and was driven by the devil into the wilderness. 30. And Jesus asked him also, What is thy name? And he said, Legion; because many devils were entered into him.
31. Now they besought him not to command them to go out into the deep (hell). 32. Now there was an herd of many swine feeding on the mountain; so they besought him to suffer them to enter into them; which he did. 33. Then went the devils out of the man, and entered into the swine; then the herd ran violently down a steep place into the lake, and were drowned. (Thus they were punished for dealing in swine contrary to the law.)
34. Now the keepers seeing what was done, fled, and told it in the country, and in the city.
35. Then they went out to see what was done; and came to Jesus, and found the man, out of whom the devils were departed, sitting at Jesus' feet, clothed, and in his right mind; and they were afraid. 36. They also who saw it told thein how he that was possessed of the devils was healed.
37. i[ Then the whole multitude of the country of the Gadarenes around, besought him to depart from them: for they were seized with great tear. Then he went into the ship, and returned back.
38. Now the man out of whom the devils were departed, desired to be with him; but Jesus sent him away, saying, 39. Return to thine own house, and tell how great things God hath done for thee. So he departed, and published thro' the whole city how great things Jesus had done for him.
40. Now when Jesus returned, the people gladly received him: for they all waited for him.
41. i[ And lo, a man named Jairus, a ruler of. the synagogue came, ami fell down at Jesus feet and besought him to come into his house. 42. For he had an only daughter about twelve years old, who lay dying. But as he went the people thronged him.:
43. % And a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, who had spent all her substance on physicians, nor could be healed by any, 44. Came behind him and touched the border of his gari ment; and immediately her issue stopped. 45. Then Jesus said, Who touched me? When all denied, Peter and those with him, said, Master, the multitude throng, and press thee, and sayest thou who touched me? 46. But Jesus said, Somebody touched me; for I perceive virtue is gone out of me.
47. Now the woman seeing she was not concealed, came trembling, and falling down before him, declared to him before all the people, why she had touched him, and how she was healed immediately.
48. Then he said to her, Daughter, take good courage; thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.
49. i[ While he yet spake, one comes from the ruler of the synagogue's house, saying to him, thy daughter is dead; trouble not the Master. 50. But Jesus hearing it, said, Fear not: believe only, and she shall be made whole. .51. And coming into the house he suffered no man to go in but Peter, and James, and John, and the child's father and mother. 52. Now all wept and lamented her; but he said, Weep not; she is not dead, but sleepeth.
53. But they derided him, knowing she was dead.
54. But he put them all out, and taking her by the hand, said, Child, arise. 55. Then her spirit came again, and she arose immediately, and he comm anded to give her meat.
56. And her parents were astonished; but he charged them to tell no man what was done.
CHIUST SENDETH HIS APOSTLES TO PREACH.
Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases. 2. And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and heal the sick.
3. Saying to them, Take nothing for your journey, neither staves, nor a bag, nor bread, nor money, nor two coats each. 4. And into whatever house ye enter, remain there and thence depart. 5. And whoever will not receive you, when ye depart from that city, shake off the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them.
6. So they departed, and went thro' the towns, preaching glad tidings, and healing every where.
7. i[ Now Herod the tetrarch hearing all that was done by him, was perplexed, because some said that John was risen from the dead; 8. And some said that Elias had appeared; and others, that one of the old prophets was risen again.
9. Now Herod said, I beheaded John; but who is this of whom I hear such things? So he desired to see him. 10. 1 And the apostles being returned, told him all they had done, then he retired with them privately, into a desert place belonging to the city called Bethsaida. 11. But the people, knowing it, followed him, and he received them, and spake to them of the kingdom of God, and healed the diseased.
12 % And at the. decline of day the twelve came, and said to him, Send the multitude away to go into the towns and the country around, and lodge, and get provision; for this is a desert place. IS. But he said to them, Give ye them to eat. Then they said, We,have no more but five loaves and