« AnteriorContinuar »
him to you. 8. And being come he will convince the world concerning sin, righteousness, and judgment. 9. Concerning (the) sin (of infidelity), because they believe not on me. 10. Concerning (my) righteousness, because I go to my (righteous) Father, and ye see me no more (in this world.) 11. Concerning judgment, because (Satan) the prince of this (wicked) world is judged (and toiled, as his agents will be at the last day). 12. I have yet many things to say to you, but ye cannot bear them now. 13. However, when the Spirit of truth himself is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself (any different doctrine); but whatever he shall hear (of me), he shall speak; and he will shew you things to come. 14. He shall glorify me, by receiving of mine, to communicate it to you. 15. All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shew it to you.
16. % A little while, (between my death and resurrection), ye shall not see me; and again, a little while, (between my resurrection and ascension), ye shall see me; before I go to the Father.
17. Then said some of his disciples among themselves, What is this he saith to us, A little while, and ye shall not see me; and again, a little while, and ye shall see me; because I go to the Father?
18. They said, therefore, we know not what he saith.
19. Now Jesus knew that they were desirous to ask him, and said to them, Do ye enquire among yourselves concerning what I said, A little while and yc shall not see me; and again, A little while, and ye shall sec mc? 20. Verily, verily, I tell you, Ye shall weep and lament (at my going away), but the (wicked) world shall rejoice at it; ye shall be sorrowful at it, hut your sorrow shall be turned iuto joy, (at my return). 21. [ A travailing woman hath sorrow, because her hour is come; but when she is delivered of the child she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world.]] 22. And thus ye now have sorrow; but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you. 23. And at that day ye shall ask me nothing, (having clear knowledge of all). Verily, verily, I tell you, Whatever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he shall give it you. 24. Hitherto ye have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full. 25. These things I have spoken to you in parables; but the time cometh when I shall no more speak to you in parables, but I shall shew you freely concerning the Father. 26. At that day ye shall petition in my name; and I say not, that I will request the Father for you; 27. For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God. 28. I came forth from the Father into the world; again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.
29. % His disciples said to him, Lo, now thou speakest plainly, and speakest no parable. 30. Now, we are sure that thou knowest all things, and needest not to be asked by any man, (as thou tellest all things plainly without enquiry): by this we believe that thou eamest forth from God.
31. Jesus answered them, Do ye now believe? 32. Behold the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, each to his own home, and shall leave me alone; and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.
33. These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have affliction; but be of good courage, I have overcome the world.
CHAP. XVII. Christ's Mediatory Prayer To His Father^ These words spake Jesus, and looking up to heaven, said, Father, the hour (for overthrowing the powers of darkness) is come; glorify thy Son (by the victory) that thy Son may also glorify thee (in the triumph, Col. ii. 15). 2. As thou hast given him power over all men, that he may give eternal life to all whom thou hast given him. 3. And this is life eternal, that they might ("savingly or experimentally) know thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent (to save the world). 4. I have glorified thee on the earth, as I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. 5. And now, O Father, glorify thou me /ith thyself, even with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.
6. % I have manifested thy name, (nature, and will,) to the men thou gavest me out of the world, (to believe and obey the truth); they were thine (by creation) and thou gavest them me, (to serve me), and they have kept thy word (obeying it). 7. Now they have known that (the words, and works, and) all things whatever thou hast given me are from thee: 8. For I have given to them the words thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came from thee, and have believed that thou didst send me. 9. I pray for them, I pray not for the world (for they will not receive my words, v. 4.) but for them whom thou hast given me (to believe and obey the truth), for they are thine. 10, And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them, (by saving them). 11. And now 1 am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one (in love), as we are. 12. Whilst I was with them in the world I kept them in the (fear of) thy name. Those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition (Judas, who is gone to perdition), that
the scripture might be fulfilled. 13. But now I come to thee: and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in them. 14. I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 15. I pray not that thou wouldest take them out of the world, but that thou wouldest keep them from the evil. 16. They are not conformed to the world, even as I am not conformed to the world. 17. Sanctify them thro' thy (pure word of) truth, (Jer. xxiii. 29. Eph. v. 26.); thy word is truth. 18. As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world, (to teach it). 19. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, (being consecrated and devoted to the work of their salvation), that they also may be sanctified thro' the truth, (purified by it from error and immorality,).
20. Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also who shall believe on me thro' their words, 21. That they all may be as one; as thou Father art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us (in mutual love;) that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. 22. And the glory (of doing mighty works) which thou gavest me, I have given them, that they may be one (in love,) as we are one. 23. Thou in me, and I in them; that they maybe perfected in one (cordial love;) and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
24. Father, I will that they whom thou hast given me be with me where 1 am; that they may behold my glory which thou hast given me; for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world. 25. O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee; but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. 26. And I have declared to them thy name, and will declare it, that the Vol. nr. K k 30
love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in thero, and I in them, (by my Spirit abiding in them.)
JUDAS BETBAYETH CHBIST.
When Jesus had spoken these words he went with his disciples over the brook Cedron, where was a garden, into which he entered, with his disciples. 2. And Judas also who betrayed him, knew the place; for Jesus often resorted thither with his disciples.
3. Judas then, having received a band of soldiers and officers from the chief priests and Pharisees, cometh thither with lanterns, and torches, and weapons.
4. Jesus, therefore, knowing all things that should befall him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye? 5. They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith to them, I am he. And Judas also, who betrayed him, stood with them. • 6. As soon then as he had said to them, I am he, they went (staggering) backward, and fell to the ground, (as it were thunder-struck by the power of his word.)
7. Then he asked them again, Whom seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth, 8. Jesus answered, I told you I am he; if, therefore, ye seek me, let these (my disciples) go away: 9. That what he spake might be fulfilled, Of them whom thou gavest me I lost none (by apostasy, xvii. 12.)
10. T Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Match us.
11. Then said Jesus to Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup of (sufferings) which my Father hath given me, shall 1 not drink it?