« AnteriorContinuar »
THE TABLE OF CHRIST'S GENEALOGY.
THE GOSPEL HISTORY WRITTEN BY
THE history of Jesus Christ, the offspring of
2. Abraham begat Isaac; and lie begat Jacob; and he begat Judas and his brethren; 3. And he begat Pharos and Zara of Thamar; and Pharez begat Esrom; and he begat Aram; 4. And he begat Aminadab; and he begat Naasson j and he begat Salmon; 5. And he begat Booz of Rahab, and he begat Obed of Ruth; and he begat Jesse; 6. And Tie begat David the king; and he begat Solomon of her that had been the wife of Urias; 7. And he begat Roboam; and he begat Abia; and he begat Asa; 8. And he begat Josaphat; and he begat Joram; anil he begat (Ahaziah, and he begat Joash, and lie begat Amaziahy and he begat) Ozias; 9. And he begat Joatham; and he begat Ahaz; and he begat Ezekias; 10. And he begat Manasses; and he begat Amon; and he begat Josias; 11. And he begat (Jehoiakim) and he begat Jechonias and his brethren, about the time they were carried to Babylon: 12. And after that Jechonias begat (politically or adopted) Salathiel; and he begat Zorobabel; 13. And lie begat Abiud; and he begat Eliakim; and he begat Azor; 14. And he begat Sadoc; and he begat Achim; and he begat Eliud; 1.5. And he begat Eleazar; and he begat Matthan; and he begat Jacob; 16. And he begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ, (the anointed king, priest, and prophet, Zcch. vi. 13.)
»' ?•?. ($o 811 the generations from Abraham to DaVM are fourteen; and i'rom him till the"removal to Babylon, are fourteen; and from that.td^ Chrfejriinclusive) are fourteen generations: (Uectefcieh omitted, as Jeconiah outlived him, tewned -a* Babel.)
18. ^ [ Now, the birth of Jesus Christ was in tUH (miraculous extraordinary) manner': Hh "mother Mary was promised in marriage to Joseph', but before they were married, she became pregnant by the powerful influence of the Holy Spirit.
19. Then Joseph her betrothed'husband, being ft. reasonable mun, and not Willing to discard her itt it public manner, intended to do it privately.""
29. ^t whilst he thought on these things, loj the angel of the Lord appeared to him ittiadi'eamj saying, Joseph, ihcK* sort of David, fear riot tin take onto thee Mary thy betrothed spouse, for her^rtu ception is produced by the (supernatural operation) of the Holy Spirit. : " 'v •y.. on/ .°
€li And she shall have a 'son, whose" name shall be called Jesus, (i. e, the Saviour), because he^shatt save his people from their sins. . '.' • 3
22. Now all this wis done, that it might.he.fulfilled which was Spoken of the Lord by the prophet saying, i' - . ^'
23. Behold, a virgin shall be pregnant, and shall have a son, whose name shall be called Lmavcelj which being interpreted, is God with us, (isVVft ,4.) - ' ^' •" .
24. Then Joseph having awaked, did as the angel of the Lord had commanded him; 25. He fcoott unto him his betrothed spouse, but knew her noli And when she had brought forth her firstborn son^ she catted his name Jesus.
CHAP. II. ]
'• THE EASTERN MAGI WORSHIP CHRIST.
And after Jesus was bom in Bethlehem of Judea, in the time of Herod the (Edomitish) king, behold, wise men from the east came to Jerusalem, 2. Saying, Where is he that has been born the King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
3. But Herod the king hearing these things, was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.
4. Therefore he called all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, and asked them where Christ would be born.
5. And they said, In Bethlehem of Judea: for so it is written by the prophet, 6. Even thou, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, art not the least among the principalities of Judah (Micah v. 2.); for out of thee shall come a Governor that shall rule my people (the spiritual) Israel.
7. Then Herod privately calling the wise men, asked them anxiously what time the star appeared.
8. And sending them to Bethlehem, he said, Go, and search diligently for the young child; and when ye find him, come and tell me, that I may go to worship him also.
9. Having heard the king, they departed, then lo, the star they saw in the east, went before them till it came and stood over the place where the child was.
10. And seeing the star, they rejoiced exceed" ingly.
11. % And having entered the house, they saw the child with Mary his mother, and falling down they worshipped him. And having opened their treasures, they presented to him gifts; gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
12. But being warned of God in a dream not to return to Herod, they departed to their country another way.
13. And being departed, lo, the angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream, saying, Flee