« AnteriorContinuar »
SERIES OF READING BOOKS
PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS.
JOHN G. CROMWELL, M.A.
PRINCIPAL OF ST MARK'S COLLEGE, CHELSEA.
49 & 51 SOUTH CASTLE STREET.
TAE Editor is anxious to express his obligations to the following authors for their kindness in allowing him to make extracts from their works for the readers of this little book :-Mrs Ewing, Miss Dora Greenwell, Miss Ingelow, Mr F. T. Palgrave, Mr S. Smiles, Dr Yeats; to Miss Coleridge, for extract from “Pretty Lessons for Good Children," by Sarah Coleridge; and to the following publishers :-Messrs Longman, for extracts from Sir E. Tennent's “Ceylon;” Messrs Sampson Low & Co., for an extract from M. Audubon's works; Messrs Strahan & Co., for extracts from Mr Tennyson's and Miss Ingelow's works; Messrs Chambers, for an extract from Mary Howitt’s poems; Messrs Dalziell, for extracts from poems of Miss Greenwell, Miss Mulock, Otto Speckter, and L. W. T.; Messrs Murray, for an extract from Ford's “ Spain; " Messrs Routledge, for extracts
” from “ Waterton's Wanderings ;
Messrs Macmillan, for extracts from Miss C. Rossetti, Canon Kingsley, Mr Freeman.
13. The Hedgehog
14. The Hedgehog --continued
15. The Quiet Life (A. Pope)
16. The Dragon-fly
17. The Worm (Gisborne)
18. Signs of Rain (Dr. Jenner)
19. The Departure of Columbus (W. Irving)
20. Columbus and the Natives (W. Irving),
21. The Suspicious Cock and Hen (Sara Coleridge)
22. The Dog and the Avalanche (from the German)
23. That Children should be Gentle (F. T. Palgrave)
24. Who first lived in Britain (Freeman)
25. Seville Oranges (Ford)
26. The Sparrow's Nest (Mary Howitt)
27. The One-eyed Servant (Miss J. Ingelow).
37. Coridon's Song (from Walton's “ Complete Angler ")