« AnteriorContinuar »
CRITICAL NOTES OF THE LATIN EDITOR
AND THE REVISER.
| Page Line The Latin has "heads” for || 183 6 The photolithograph has "horns,” but see just ||
"in" for "ex.” above and on page 1, and || 193 The Latin has "in quidem" below n. 777.
for "quidem." 6 16 The Latin has “prophet"
The Latin has "non sciunt” for "prophets." See A.
for "sciunt.” C., n. 7933, where we read
tin has " quam" for "prophets" which agrees
"quod." with the Greek text. 214 The Latin has "et," but in 24 8 The photolithograph has
the text of the chapter "eagles," the Hebrew
we read "aut." has "leopards.” In the 218 12 | The photolithograph reads explanation Swedenborg
"multiplicationem," but translates it " leopards."
just above "multitudiThe Latin has "before" for
The photolithograph has The photolithograph has
"edere et vendere" for "I will come," the Greek
emere et vendere." "we will come."
The Hebrew has “thy." the The photolithograph has
photolithograph has “I will make,” the Greek
" Deus Deus." "we will make."
4 | The Hebrew has “Judah," 36 | The photolithograph has
which is also found in "My," the Greek reads,
n. 922. "of God.”
20 See note just above. 8 The photolithograph has
34 The Hebrew has "its," see "ambulare el vivere sig
above, n. 652c. nificat vivere ;" "to walk
The Hebrew has "their,” and live signifies to live."
see above, n. 328d. 20 | The photolithograph has || 300 The Hebrew is the same "truths" for "goods."
expression as that used 19 | The Latin hay " David" for
in the preceding passage "Balaam,"
translated "unmixed 107 The Latin has “Father"
wine" merum, but Swefor “God.”
denborg has vinum, 115 The Latin has “ quod " for
300 | 34 | Sce preceding note. 31 See above, n. 741(d), where 319 21 The photolithograph has we read "his."
“mortuorum," "the 35 The Latin has “ye did not
dead," the Greek text come," for "ye came.”
has "the just." 142
The photolithograph has 321 26 The Latin has "mors se"filiam" "daughter," for
cunda" second death, for "filium," "son.”
“ resurrectio secunda" 148 9 The Latin has “Father" ||
second resurrection. for "God.”
343 | 20 | The photolithograph has The photolithograph has
"capile" "head" for "tunc" for "hunc,”
"ramis"" branches." In 'then" for "him."
the text just above.
|| Page Line 359 The Hebrew hag "days
following explanation he upon a year," Schmid
wrote "magnum" where ius has "year upon
the word is quoted. The year."
Greek word means evil. 359 The Hebrew has “days
In the Apocalypse Reupon a year,” Schmidius
vealed Swedenborg transhas “ year upon year."
lates it “malum" evil,” | 28 | In the text at the begin
wherever quoted. ning of the chapter it || 422
See note above. reads "malum et non 427
The Latin has “vestrae" ium." "evil and nox
"your." The Hebrew has ious" here in the photo
"my." lithograph Swedenborg
27 See note above, p. 421. first wrote “malum" but
See note above, p. 421. crossed this out and
33 See note above, p. 421. wrote over it "magnum"
9 See note above, p. 421. "great," through the l' 434 | 13 See note above, p. 421.
CHAPTER XIII. 1. And I saw a beast coming up out of the sea having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten diadems, and upon his heads a name of blasphemy.
2. And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion; and the dragon gave him his power and his throne and great authority.
3. And I saw one of his heads as if it had been wounded to death; and the stroke of his death was healed; and the whole earth wondered after the beast.
4. And they worshiped the dragon which gave authority unto the beast; and they worshiped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him ?
5. And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and there was given unto him authority to work forty-two months.
6. And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme His name and His tabernacle and them that dwell in heaven.
7. And it was given unto him to make war with the saints and to overcome them; and there was given to him authority over every tribe and tongue and nation.
8. And all that dwell on the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain froin the foundation of the world.
9. If any one hath an ear let him hear. 10. If any one shall lead into captivity he shall go into captivity ; if any one shall kill with the sword he must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.
. 11. And I saw another beast coming up out of the earth, and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.
12. And all the authority of the first beast he exerciseth before him; and he maketh the earth and them that dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose stroke of his death was healed.
13. And he doeth great signs, so that he even maketh fire to come down from heaven unto the earth before men; " 14. And he seduceth them that dwell on the earth by reason
And he seduceth them that dwell on the earth by me of the signs that were given hiin to do before the beast; saying to them that dwell on earth that they should make an image to the beast which hath the stroke of the sword and did live.
15. And it was given unto him to give breath to the image of the beast, that the image of the beast may both speak, and may cause that as many as do not worship the image of the beast be killed.
16. And he causeth all, the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free and the bond, that there be given them a mark upon their right hand or upon their foreheads;
17. And that no one be able to buy or to sell if he hath not the inark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18. Here is wisdom. He that hath intelligence let him count the number of the beast; for it is the number of a man; and his number is six hundred sixty-six.
773. Verse 1. And I saw a beast coming up out of the sea having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten diadems, and upon his heads a name of blasphemy. 1. “And I saw a beast coming up out of the sea," signifies reasonings from the natural man confirming the separation of faith from life (n. 774); “ having seven heads," signifies knowledge (scientia) of holy things, which are falsified and adulterated (n. 775);“and