« AnteriorContinuar »
14. If 14 couples of fowls are worth £3, 18s. 2d., what is the value of 3 fowls ?
15. If a man eats 2 lbs. of meat in 3 days, and a boy 1 lb. in 2 days, how long will the supply of 5 men for 3
weeks last 10 boys?
16. If a contractor incurs a fine of £9, uis. 9]d. per week, what will he have lost at the end of a year of 365 days?
17. If i cwt. of sugar cost £2, 16s. 6d., what will i ton 17 cwt. I qr. cost ?
18. The rent of a farm of 39 ac. 2 rds. 20 p. is £148, 11S. 10}d. ; what ought 42 ac i rd. to be rented for at the same rate?
19. If 145 sheep cost £169, 35. 4d., what is the price of a score at the same rate ?
20. If one can travel 176 miles for £2, 18s. 8d., what must one pay for travelling 65 miles?
21. What weight of sugar may be bought for £187, 45., when the cost of 6 cwt. 2 qrs. is £27, 14s. 8d. ?
22. A wedge of gold weighing 14 lbs. 3 oz. 8 dwts. is valued at £514, 4s. ; what is the value per oz. ?
23. How many acres can be bought for £975, when 15 ac. 3 rds. cost £787, 1os.?
24. What is the value of a wedge of gold weighing 5 lbs. 3 oz. 7 dwts. 16 grs., if 33 oz. are worth £13, 135. 3d. ?
25. If it costs £1, 14s. 5d to mow a 3} acre field, what must be paid for mowing 45 ac. 3 rds. 20 p. ? 26. If either 5 oxen or 7 horses eat up the
of a field in 87 days, in what time will 2 oxen and 3 horses eat it up?
27. Fifty-seven cottages cost £9170, 9s. 4}d. ; what is the cost of eleven such cottages ?
28. If 5 tons and a half cost £616, what is the price of 17 cwt. 3 qrs. 17 lbs. 6 oz. ?
29. What is the cost of 179353 pipes of wine, if two pipes cost £50, 8s. 7d.?
30. After paying an income tax of 7d. in the £, I have £248, 1os. 8d. left; what is my gross income?
31. A work is performed in 53 days by 15 men or 27 boys; in what time would 27 men and 15 boys perform the same?
32. The rates in a rental of £365, 75. 3d. amount to £36, 8s. 9d. ; what should be the rental of an estate on which the rates are £24, 55. rod. ?
33. If six blacksmiths, receiving 4s. 8d. a day each, earn as much as seven carpenters, what are the weekly (six days) wages of 105 carpenters?
34. How much cloth may be bought for £20, 16s. 3d., if 2025 yards cost £34, 135. 9d. ?
35. Working 7 hours a day, A can complete a job in 6 days, while B can do it in 8 days; how long will they take to do it, working together?
36. If 3 quarters of wheat are worth 4 quarters of barley, what should be the price of a bushel of wheat when barley is at £2, 16s. 6d. per quarter ?
37. If 1000 pilchards cost ios. 5d., what quantity could be got for 3 d., and what quantity for 2s. 5 d. ?
38. A man has an annuity of £700 a year, and spends £1,175. 10 d. per day; what does he save in 9 years, neglecting the extra day in leap year?
39. Find the cost of 26594 lbs. of rice at 20 guineas per ton?
40. £45, 25. 2}d. was paid for mowing 91 acres 3 roods; how many acres should be mowed for £5, 35. 3d. at the same rate?
41. If potatoes are sold at £3, 145. 8d. per ton, what quantity can be bought for one penny?
42. A bankrupt, having £645, 55. 3}d. left, can pay 7s. 8!d. in the £; what is the amount of his debts?
43. If 375 apples sell for 125., what should be given for 1000 apples, and how many may be had for £1?
44. If 35 loads of hay can be had for £100, what should be given for 126 loads, and how many loads can be had for £180?
45. What is the rent of 893 acres of land at £1, 11s. 3d. per acre, and what quantity could be rented for 6s. 3d. ?
46. A stick 2 ft. in. high, standing perpendicularly on a level ground, throws a shadow 3 ft. 6 in. long. What is the height of a tower, and of a flagstaff on the top of it, throwing a shadow of 126 feet, the flagstaff being the height of the tower?
47. Find the cost of 1019 yards of velvet, if 7 yards can be had for £2, 18s. 5 d.
48. If 11 horses require as much hay as 19 cows, and 19 tons is sufficient for 38 horses for 34 months, what quantity will suffice for 19 cows for the same time?
49. Seventeen boxes of tea, cach containing on an average 1.} cwt, are sold for £ 520, 125. 6d. ; how much is that per lb.?
50. If the price of the 4 lb. loaf be 8}d. when wheat sells at 45. 3d. a bushel, what should be its price when the bushel costs 55. 6d. ?
51. Two boys were picking up potatoes; while one picked up 10, the other picked up 11. When the first boy had it score, how many had the other ?
52. Find the cost of 1663 pints of spirit at 19. 2d. per gallon.
53. If 8 cwt. 3 qrs. 22 lbs. Il oz. of coffee cost £50, 25. 8 d., what must be given for 2 tons of it?
54. My rental increased from £1000 in 1871 to £1256, ios. in 1876 ; in the former year I paid £72, 18s. 4d. poor rate, in the latter my rate amounted to £109, 18s. 101d. What did I pay in the £ in the former, and what in the latter year?
55. I spent £4908, 155. on equal quantities of wheat at 2 guineas a quarter, barley at i guinea a quarter, and oats at 145. a quarter ; what quantity of each shall I have?
56. A race-horse goes 5 miles in 32 minutes; how long will he be in going 1650 yards?
57. The annual poor rate on a net rental of £1096, is. 9d. amounts to £109, 6s. 3d. ; what is the net rental of an estate for which the poor rate amounts to £24, 55. rod. a year?
58. What quantity of sugar can be bought for £324, if 14 cwt 3 qrs. 14 lbs. of the same cost £36?
59. If i cwt. I qr. 21 lbs. of sugar cost £3, 75. Id., what quantity of the same quality can be had for £29, 155. ?
60. A lump of gold, at £3, 175. 10 d. per oz., is worth £150; what will be the worth of a lump of silver of equal weight, at 545. 6d. per lb. ?
61. If I can travel 198 miles by train for £2, 9s. 6d., how far ought I to be carried at the same rate for £8, os. 10d. ?
62. How much may I spend in 73 days if I wish to lay by in the year 50 guineas out of my income of £450?
63. What quantity of wine, at the rate of £31, 16s. 4d. per 46 gallons, may be got for £117, 118. 8d. ?
64. If 55 score of sheep eat bare 80 acres of grass in 6 weeks and 2 days, how long would that quantity of pasture serve for 968 sheep?
65. What is the price of a millionth part of 83 tons 14 cwt. 12 lbs. at the rate of one-millionth part of £3125 per oz.?
66. If the one-thousandth part of £3, 2s. 6d. will pay for I 02., what must be paid for the millionth part of 167 tons 8 cwt. 24 lbs. ?
67. If a man has £1553, 6s. 8d. remaining after paying an income tax of 7d. in the £, what is his gross income?
68. A clerk's net salary, after paying 6d. in the £ income tax, is £195; what would it have amounted to had there been no income tax ?
69. After paying an agent 6d. in the £, my net receipts for rents came to £390; what was the total amount paid by the tenants ?
70. A rent-collector, after deducting his commission of gd. in the £, paid to his employers £ 1203, 2s. 6d. ; what was the total amount of the rents collected ?
71. After paying 7d. in the £, a gentleman had 4,971, 16s. 1d. over; on what amount had the tax been charged ?
72. A bankrupt fails for £9619, 145. 6d., and his property remaining amounts to £1603, 5s. od. ; how much can he pay in the £?
73. If 77 tailors can execute an order for regimental clothing in thirty days, how many more tailors must be engaged to do the work 8 days sooner?
74. Thirty-three masons can build a wall in 47 days, but after working 11 days, 15 of them strike; in how many days after the strike will the wall be finished ?
75. A salmon leaves Berwick at 7 o'clock on Saturday evening, and swims 8 miles an hour; when will he
under Peebles Bridge, the distance by water being 69 miles ?
76. A clock set on Wednesday at 9 in the evening gains 15 sec. in 4 hours; what is the correct time when the clock points
4 to 3 hrs. 4 min. 7 sec. on Saturday afternoon ?
77. If 64 men can do a job in 57 days, and if, after they have been working for 12 days, notice is sent to finish the job 9 days before the time agreed upon, how many additional men must be put on?
78. Five pheasants are worth 4 grouse, 5 grouse worth 8 partridges, 2 partridges worth 5 snipes; how many snipes should be given for 10 pheasants ?
PROPORTION (Compound). 1. If 40 men require £20 worth of bread in 10 days when wheat is at 63s. per quarter, how long would £90 worth serve 54 men when wheat is at 56s. per quarter?
2. If 40 bushels of corn serve 12 horses for 37 days, how many days would 197 bushels of corn serve 9 horses?
3. A stone slab, 2 inches thick, 3 feet wide, 51 feet long, weighs 171 cwt. ; what would be the weight of a slab of the same width, but 3 inches thick and 9 feet long?
4. A family of 8 persons require £5, 5s. to keep them 3 weeks when four is at 6s. 3d. a bushel ; how much should a family of 10 persons require to keep them for 8 days when flour is at is. 3fd. a peck ?
5. If £730 gain £8, 25. 6d. in 120 days, what will £100 gain in a year?
6. If a penny loaf weighs 7 oz. when wheat is 6s. 8d. a bushel, what should be the price of the 4 lb. loaf when wheat is at 55. rod. a bushel?
7. If 7 fires consume 4 tons 7 cwt. of coal in 30 days of 10 hours each, how much will be consumed by 6 fires in 20 days of 14 hours each?