« AnteriorContinuar »
44. How many copies of an engraving must a picture dealer sell, at £1, 113. 6d. per copy, so as to realize 51} p. c. on an outlay of £250?
45. I bought goods for £53, and sold them for £75, giving one year's credit (interest at 5 p. c.); what did I gain per cent. ?
46. If I buy 2048 yds. of linen at 38. 2}d. per yard, and sell the whole for £359, 6s. 8d., required the whole gain and the gain p. c.
47. What sum was lost by selling for £182, 8s., 288 yds. of cloth, bought 6 months ago at 12s. 6d. per yard? Interest calculated at 5 p. c. per ann.
48. By selling apples at 3 a penny I gain 5 p. C. ; what do I gain or lose p. c. by selling them 25 for 6d. ?
49. If I lose 14 p. c. by selling 340 yrs. of wheat at £2, 1os. 2d. per qr., at what price per qr. should it be sold to gain 16 per cent. ?
50. A bookseller bought two copies of a valuable work at the same price, and sold one for £25, with a profit of 911 p. c.; how much p. c. did he gain by selling the other for £27, Ios. ?
51. I sold a quantity of hay for £50, losing 33} p. c.; for what should I have sold it to receive 3 times as much as it cost me?
52. If the price of goods be 29 florins 7 cents 5 mils per cwt., and they are retailed at 8.1d. a lb., what is the gain p. c., stated in decimals of £1?
53. If a tradesman by selling an article at 8s. 3d. loses 17} P. C., what should he have sold it for to gain 40 p. c. ?
54. If a corn dealer, by selling 52 quarters of oats for £69}, lost 10 p. C., what ought to have been the price per bushel in order to have gained 8 p. c. ?
55. What is the prime cost of a yard of cloth, if selling it at 7 p. c. advance brings 5s. more than selling it at 17 p. c. loss ?
56. By selling an article for 2 guineas I gain 40 p. c. ; how much p. c. should I have lost by selling it for £1.2375?
57. I bought 18 cwt. 3 qrs. 24 lbs. of saltpetre at £1, 6s. iod. per cwt., and sold a half of it at 3d. a lb. and the other half of it at £1, 39. 4d. per cwt. ; how much p. c. did I gain or lose, and how much money altogether?
58. I bought 100 yards for gs. 2d., and sold the lot so as to gain f of the selling price. Find the selling price, and my gain per cent.
59. 336 yards are bought at 7s. 10d. a yard, and of this quantity 1 is sold at ios. 3d. a yard, f at 8s. 6d., and the rest at 7s. ; state decimally the percentage of profit or loss.
60. I bought i cwt. of hams for £2, 12s. 6d., and sold it at 7d. a lb.; also i cwt. of soap for £2, 6s. 8d., and sold it at 6 d. per lb. Compare the profit per cwt. of the two transactions, and state the percentage of gain in each case.
61. I sold a book to a friend at 17 p. c. below cost price. If I had taken his offer of an additional 5s. for it, I should have made a gain of 7 p. c. on my outlay. What did the book cost me, and what did I get for it?
62. A grocer buys sugar at 7d. and at rod. per lb., and mixes them in the proportion of 3:5; what will he gain or lose p. c. if he sells the mixture at gd. a lb. ?
63. If A's rate of profit is of B's, and for every guinea that B gains C gains a sovereign; compare the profits of A and C.
64. 3. p. c. would have been lost by selling steel pens at 35.
6d. per gross, but the actual result of their sale was a gain of p. c. ; at what rate were the pens sold
thousand ? 65. I gained 4 per cent by selling an article for £}; how much per cent. should I have gained by selling it for ki?
66. Suppose that a reduction of 15 per cent in a man's wages causes him to lose eighteenpence weekly, what were his weekly wages before the reduction?
67. If i} cwt. of tea is sold at a profit of 20 per cent. for £37, 16s., what was its cost price per lb. ?
68. I gained 33 per cent. by selling lace at 135. 6d. a yard; what was gained per cent. in selling it at 12s. a yard ?
69. A woman bought eggs at 9 for 6d., and sold them at
19d. a score. Her profits came to 25. rod. How many eggs did she sell, and what did she gain per cent. ?
70. A butcher contracts to supply a regiment with 100 cwt. of beef at 5!d. a lb. ; what will be his gain per cent. if he can procure the meat for £2 a cwt. ?
71. By selling an article for 198. I lose 5 per cent. ; what price should it have fetched to clear 12} per cent. ?
72. In a shipwreck goods were damaged to the extent of 4375 per cent. Find the number of ozs. whose value was lost in every lb.
73. A commission agent is to have 15 per cent on the profits of selling an estate which cost £90,906, 135. 4d. ; what sum must it be sold for in order that the agent may gain £7552
74 By selling cheese at £3, 135. 6d. per cwt. a grocer made a profit of 221 per cent. ; what did the cheese cost him per Ib. in the first instance ?
75. A grocer buys 106 lbs. of tea at 35. 4d. per
75 lbs. 94 lbs.
55. 5d. At what rate per lb. must he sell the mixture of these teas in order to gain 10 p. c.?
76. If teas at 5s. 6d., 6s. 5d., and 45. 9d. a lb. be mixed in equal quantities, and the mixture sold at £32, 18s. per cwt., what will be the gain or loss per cent. ?
77. A merchant buys some tea at 2s. 3d. per lb., and some at 3s. 6d. ; in what proportion must he mix them so that by selling the mixture at 45. a Ib. he may realize 20 per cent. ?
78. If 100 lbs. of tea be bought at 45. 4d. a lb. and sold at 55., and 100 lbs. of sugar be bought at 6d. a lb. and sold at 7d. a lb., how much short of 18 per cent. will be the profit realized on the whole transaction ?
79. A merchant invested £3480 in his business. The first year he lost 5 per cent. ; next year he gained 4 per cent. ; and the third year he gained 1'5 per cent. What was the amount of his capital at the end of the third year?
80. A tea dealer buys a damaged cargo for £530, and after spending 7 per cent on the cost price in preparing it for the
88. If £880 amount to £899, 5s. at simple interest for of a year, what must be the rate per cent. per annum?
89. In what time will £225 amount to £256, 10s., at 31 p. c. per annum, simple interest?
90. At what rate per cent. simple interest will £936, 13s. 4d. amount to £1157, 7s. 41d. in 4 years?
amount to £256, 10s., at 12
91. In what time will £225
p. c. per annum?
92. What sum will amount to £105, 6s. old. in 3 years, at 44 per cent. per annum?
93. What principal lent from March 10 to May 22, at 5 per cent., will amount to £712, 9s. 5d.?
94. A sum invested at 83 per cent. per annum amounts to a guinea in 219 days; what is the sum?
95. Find the rate p. c. at which £411, 10s. will amount to £416, 12s. 10d. in a quarter of a year.
96. What principal will yield £43, 10s. 71d. simple interest in 3 years, at 4 p. c. per ann. ?
97. £175 produced £26, 185. 1d. simple interest in 3 yrs. 5 mths.; find the rate per cent.
98. If I lend to a friend £1250 at 4 p. c. simple interest, and tell him to keep it until principal and interest amount to £1666, 13s. 4d., how long will he have it?
99. At what rate per cent. simple interest will £1248, 125. amount in 2 years to £1443, 135. 10дd.?
100. In what time will £112, 10s. amount to £128, 5s., at 3 p. c. simple interest?
101. In what time will £926, 15s. amount to £962, 2s. 81d., at 7 p. c. per ann. ?
102. At what rate per cent. will £325, 16s. 8d. amount to £374, 6s. old. in 3 years at simple interest?
103. What sum invested at 5 p. c. per ann., simple interest, will produce in 4 years the same amount of interest as £250 lent out at 3 p. c. would produce in 6 years?
-104. What sum will amount to £150, 8s. in 4 years, at 5 p. c. per ann. ?
105. In what time will £1275 amount to £1549, 11s. at p. c. per ann.?
106. What sum will amount to £425, 19s. 4 d. in 10 years, at 34 p. c.?
107. In what time will the simple interest on £812, 10s. 10d. amount to £771, 18s. 34d. at 4 p. c. per ann.?
108. In what time will £125 double itself at 5 p. c. simple interest?
109. At what rate p. c. per ann., simple interest, will 31d. produce 31s. in 33 years?
110. If £725 gain £141, 7s. 6d. in 12 years, what is the rate of interest per cent. per ann. ?
111. What sum put out to interest at 2 p. c. per ann. for 6 years will amount to £188, 12s.?
112. At what rate p. c. per ann. will £560, 12s. 6d. amount to £734, 175. 4d. in 4 years?
113. The interest on £102, 10s. amounts to £12, 13s. 81d. in 2 years; and the interest on £200 for 146 days in another investment amounts to £4, 16s.: compare the rates of interest.
114. In how many years would £250 double itself at 2} P. c. per ann. simple interest?
115. If £250 doubled itself in 11 years at simple interest, what would be the rate p. c. per ann. ?
116. What sum put out to interest for 4 years at 3 p. c. will amount to £259, 7s.?
117. What principal will gain £29, 4s. 74d. in three years at the same rate by which £45, 10s. amounts to £56, 17s. 6d. in 5 years?
118. How long will £1465 take to amount to £1836, 145. 10 d. at 3 p. c. per ann.?
119. Lent £511 on the 1st of January at 43 p. c. per ann., when will it amount to £517, 13s. ?
120. A borrowed from B £655, and at the end of 8 yrs. 8 m. repaid him with the interest; B's whole receipts being £902, 3s. 516d., what was the rate of interest p. c. per ann. ?