« AnteriorContinuar »
8. 48 men can do a piece of work in 30 days, working 10 hours a day; how many additional men will be wanted to complete it in 20 days, working 8 hours a day?
9. If 5 donkeys require as much hay as 3 horses, and each horse's hay cost 4s. a week, what must be spent in supplying 85 donkeys with hay for 6 months?
10. 75,000 flagstones, each 24 inches long and 5 inches broad, are required to lay down a court; how many stones, each 40 inches long and 6 inches broad, would be necessary for the same purpose?
11. If 9 men can earn £2, 10s. 51d. a day, how much will 15 men earn in 13 days?
12. If it costs £17, 15s. to fill a coal cellar when coal is at 1, 6s. 7d. a ton, what will be the cost of filling a cellar half the size of the other when coal is 33s. per ton?
13. If 8 fires consume 6 tons 8 cwt. of coal in 6 weeks, in what time will 9 fires consume 10 tons 16 cwt.?
14. If 23 horses can plough 46 acres in 8 days, how many acres will 7 horses plough in 9 days?
15. If 24 oxen require 6 acres of turnips to supply them for 10 weeks, how many acres would supply 6 score of sheep for 15 weeks, 3 oxen eating as much as ten sheep?
16. If 10 men or 14 women can perform a work in 431 days, how long would 8 men and 12 women working together require for double the work?
17. If 6 horses eat 18 guineas' worth of hay in 6 weeks. when hay is 9d. a stone, what is its price per stone when 15 horses eat 110, 5s. worth in 21 weeks?
18. If 5 men receive £5, 18s. wages for 12 days, what will be the wages of 16 men for 20 days?
19. If 12 men build a wall 60 feet long, 4 feet thick, and 20 feet high, in 24 days, working 12 hours a day, how many men will it take to build a wall 100 feet long, 3 feet thick, and 12 feet high, in 18 days, working 8 hours a day?
20. A man travels 120 miles in 5 days, at the rate of 3 miles an hour; how many hours a day must he travel at the same rate to go 200 miles in 8 days?
21. If £187, 10s. pay for the education of 20 boys for 6 months, how long will £150 pay for 8 boys?
22. If 6 masons, each receiving 31s. 6d. a week (6 days), earn as much as 7 bricklayers in the same time, in how many days at this rate will the wages of 35 bricklayers amount to £141, 15s.?
23. If 12 be charged for conveying 21 tons 10 cwts. of iron for 63 miles, how far should 430 tons 5 cwts. be carried for £4?
24. 115 men undertake to make a road 2 miles long in 46 days, but when it is half done at that rate, 69 men go off to another job; how many days altogether were spent in making the road?
25. A 20 horse-power engine pumps 40 gallons of water from a pit 100 yards deep in 3 hours; what quantity of water would an engine of 35 horse-power pump from a depth of 235 feet in 141 days, working night and day?
26. If the carriage of 1 cwt. 3 qrs. 21 lbs. for 104 miles come to £1, 145. 1od., what sum would be charged for conveying 2 tons for 23 miles?
27. I get 8 oz. of bread for 6d. when wheat is 15s. a bushel; what ought a bushel of wheat to cost when I get 12 oz. of bread for 4d.?
28. If 10 men or 15 boys can reap 20 acres of corn in 6 days, working 14 hours a day, how many boys must be employed to assist 3 men to reap 11 acres in 1 days of 8 hours a day?
29. If the carriage of 5 tons 5 cwt. 2 qrs. 1 lb. for 50 miles cost £27, 10s., what will be charged for conveying 254 cwt. 117 miles?
30. If 24 cakes can be made out of 3s. worth of oatmeal when its price is 18d. per peck, how many cakes can be made out of 10s. 31d. worth when oatmeal is at 13d. per peck?
31. If 7 men earn £9, 10s. 6d. in 10 days, in how many days will 28 men earn £114, 6s. ?
32. If a family of 9 persons spend £120 in 8 months, how h will serve a family of 24 persons 16 months?
cloth at the rate of 41 s. for of a yard, other materials in S., and 23 s. for making.
15. What is the number to which, if we add io of 6%, the result will be equivalent to of 133 ?
16. A shopkeeper having of 58} lbs. of tea, sold } qr., Tiscwt., į gr., io cwt, & qr., and of 11 of 18% lbs. ; 'what quantity had he left ?
17. Multiply 1 ton 3 cwt. I qr. 15 lbs. 10 oz. 6 drs. by 36 and 2, and add the two products together.
18. 41 yds. of cloth fyd. wide cost £2, os. 6d. ; how many yards & yd. wide should be got for 3 guineas ?
19. Take of a guinea from £io, and express their difference as the fraction of half-a-crown. 20. A person owning it of an estate sold of of his
33 share for £120%; what would } of io of the estate sell for at the same rate ?
21. Jf claret be of a guinea per doz., and marsala be of 1 of 10s. a bottle, what fraction of the price of a dozen of the former will be the price of a dozen of the latter?
22. What fraction of £10, together with 31 guineas, is equivalent to 5 guineas ?
23. Subtract } of from j of it, and multiply the result by of 24. If 10 yds. of cloth which is 18 in. wide cost £4, 18s. 6.£d., what will 1231 yds. of yard wide cloth cost ?
25. If of a ton is worth £4, 1os., what is the value of } of a ton? 26. Express 4 bush. 1 pk. y gall. 2 qts. as the fraction of a
4 quarter ; and the sum and difference of sy of £i and of a crown as fractions of a half-sovereign. 27. How many seconds are there in
100,000 part of a day, together with 3.400.000 part of 3 weeks 4 days?
4 28. A farmer has to pay yearly the price of 74 bushels of wheat at 45. 9d. per bushel, and 91 of malt at 5s. 3d., and 6 of
oats at 25. 4d. His landlord gives him a receipt in full for £4, 1os. ; how much does the landlord forego ?
29. I spent of my money yesterday, and of the remainder to-day, thereby leaving half-a-guinea in hand; how much money
had I at first, and what fraction of it is left ? 30. I bought a watch and chain for 20 guineas; the watch cost me 31 guineas more than the chain. Find the price of each in £ s. d.
31. If the wages of 13 men for 71 days amount to £13, 75. 0.d., how many men ought to work 4 weeks for £173, 8s.?
32. Multiply 153 shillings by 1097; and divide £61, 456 7.d. by 267 10.
33. Find the difference between 414 and 31, and multiply it by the quotient of 3 + 25.
34. Divide 11 acres by 28%, and find the value of the quotient at the rate of 7s. 6d. per pole.
35. In a map drawn on the scale of you of that of nature, how many inches represent a mile?
36. A dollar weighs of an oz. Troy, and an English crown piece of a lb. Troy; express the weight of the former as the fraction of the latter.
37. If of a yard of silk cost 45. 11 d., what is the cost of 3 of of 4 yards of it?
38. Divide 7s. 1}d. by liz, and subtract from the quotient 3 3 of 7 half-crowns.
39. What fraction should be multiplied by 3} of 3} to produce 3, and what number should be divided by the same fraction to produce is?
40. A farmer went to market with £2; in his pocket. He received for wheat sold £17%, for poultry 18js., for eggs 35 s. ; how much did he bring home?
41. A merchant owns of a ship worth £3000, and its cargo worth £27,000. He purchases another person's share, which is ļof of it; what part of it has he now, and what is its value?
42. A yard measure worn it of an inch short is used to find
cloth at the rate of 413s. for of a yard, other materials 11s., and 23 s. for making.
15. What is the number to which, if we add of 67, the result will be equivalent to of 133}?
16. A shopkeeper having of 583 lbs. of tea, sold qr., Y cwt., qr., cwt., 3 qr., and of of 184 lbs. ; what quantity had he left?
17. Multiply 1 ton 3 cwt. I qr. 15 lbs. 10 oz. 6 drs. by 35 and 2, and add the two products together.
18. 4 yds. of cloth yd. wide cost £2, os. 6d.; how many yardsyd. wide should be got for 3 guineas?
19. Take of a guinea from £, and express their difference as the fraction of half-a-crown.
20. A person owning
of an estate sold of of his 13353 share for £120; what would of of the estate sell for at the same rate?
21. If claret be of a guinea per doz., and marsala be 3 of of 10s. a bottle, what fraction of the price of a dozen of the former will be the price of a dozen of the latter?
22. What fraction of £10, together with 3 guineas, is equivalent to 5 guineas?
23. Subtract of from of, and multiply the result by of §.
24. If 10 yds. of cloth which is 18 in. wide cost £4, 18s. 61d., what will 123 yds. of yard wide cloth cost?
25. If of a ton is worth £4, 10s., what is the value of of a ton?
26. Express 4 bush. 1 pk. 1 gall. 2 qts. as the fraction of a quarter; and the sum and difference of crown as fractions of a half-sovereign.
of 1 and of a
part of a day,
27. How many seconds are there in together with 100.000 part of 3 weeks 4 days?
28. A farmer has to pay yearly the price of 7 bushels of wheat at 4s. 9d. per bushel, and 91 of malt at 5s. 3d., and 63 of