« AnteriorContinuar »
HISTORY AND GEOGRAPHY.
1. MENTION the principal nations that flourished before the Greeks. 2. What was the extent of Greece as compared with the territories of those nations? 3. What were the earliest governments among the Greeks? Mention the other forms of government which were afterwards adopted. 4. Mention the principal periods in Grecian history. 5. Give some account of Lycurgus; of Solon. 6. Mention the principal events in the Persian wars; mention some of the most distinguished persons engaged in them. 7. What causes led to the Peloponnesian War? Mention the principal events; the principal persons; the duration; the result of this war. 8. State what you know of the condition of Greece in the period following the Peloponnesian War. 9. State what you know of the history of Thebes. 10. State briefly what you know of the relations between Macedonia and Grecee in the time of Philip and Alexander. 11. When, and by whom, was Greece subjected to Rome? 12. Give some account of the foundation of Rome, and its first form of government. 13. What revolution put an end to the first government? and what government succeeded it? 14. Mention some of the early
Italian conquests of the Romans. 15. State some of the principal events in the Punic wars, and what was their conclusion. 16. State what you know of Catiline; at what period he lived; what political transactions he was engaged in; who were his most distinguished contemporaries; what became of him. 17. Give some account of the leaders in the Civil Wars. 18. Mention the circumstances of the death of Julius Cæsar. 19. What events followed his death? How, and by whom, were the civil conflicts composed?
1. Name the following persons in proper historical order, and mention something that is recorded of each: Codrus, Flaminius, Lysander, Mardonius, Marius, Pyrrhus, Regulus, Socrates, Themistocles. 2. State briefly the origin of the First Punic War. 3. Give some account of Pericles, and what he did for Athens. 4. What famous battles were fought in Boeotia? 5. Give some account of Hannibal. 6. Who was Cleopatra? 7. Describe the battle of Pharsalia? 8. Name the first six Cæsars. 9. What is meant by the Heroic Age?
1. Name the following persons in proper historical order. mentioning to what nation each belonged, and for what he was noted: Aristides, Cincinnatus, Draco, Epaminondas, Fabius, Pericles, Pompey, Solon, Sylla, Trajan. 2. Name the three persons whom you consider most noted in Grecian history; and state very briefly what each did. 3. Three in Roman history, in like manner. 4. What was the occasion of the First Persian War? 5. Describe the battle of Marathon; of Arbela. 6. Who were the kings of Rome? 7. State all you know of Jugurtha.
1. Give an account of the first invasion of Greece by the Persians. Tell when it occurred, what was the cause of it, what forces were employed, both of ships and men, what generals were engaged, and every other particular you remember. 2. Describe the Second Punic War in the same way. 3. Name "the twelve Cæsars" in the order of their reigns. 4. In what year was Julius assassinated? 5. When did Constantine become emperor?
1. What were the principal countries known to the ancients? 2. Describe the situation of Palestine; of Phoenicia; of Egypt. 3. What were the principal divisions of Asia Minor? By whom was Asia Minor colonized? 4. Describe the situation of Greece; mention some of the most important mountains, rivers, plains, gulfs, seas. 5. Mention the principal divisions of Greece; give the names and situation of the most celebrated cities. 6. What countries were comprised in Greece proper? in Peloponnesus? What were the principal Greek islands? 7. Describe the situation of Italy. What countries were comprised in Italy proper? 8. Where was Rome? on what hills was it built? Mention some of the other principal cities of Italy; the principal islands. 9. Describe the Mediterranean Sea; its shape; its extent. Mention the principal ancient nations that inhabited its shores.
1. Describe Sicily. 2. What were the principal cities of Greece? 3. What countries in Africa? 4. What rivers in Cisalpine Gaul? 5. Where was Illyricum? Arca
dia? the river Thermodon? 6. Draw, on half a page, an outline map of Greece, Macedonia, Thrace, and Asia Minor, especially of their sea-coasts; or, if you cannot draw, name the seas of the ancient world, and all the islands in each of them.
1. Describe Egypt. 2. What were the principal cities of Asia Minor, and for what was each noted? 3. What mountains in and around Thessaly? What in Peloponnesus? 4. Where was Colchis? Mount Ararat? the river Strymon? Tyre? 5. Draw an outline of the coasts of the Mediterranean and Adriatic Seas, with the principal islands; and give the ancient names of the countries and rivers in the regions now occupied by Italy, Spain and Portugal, France, and Great Britain.
1. Where was Colchis? 2. Name the countries of Greece proper. 3. What mountains in Boeotia? 4. What was its capital? 5. What other noted places in Boeotia? 6. Draw a map about two inches in breadth representing the Peloponnesus, with the divisions and cities marked. 7. Describe Spain. 8. What was the former name of Saragossa? 9. What river between Italy proper and Cisalpine Gaul ?. 10. What Roman roads do you remember?
1. What mountain ranges enclose the Mississippi Valley? Describe the Mississippi River and its tributaries, giving the source and direction of each. 2. Describe Chesapeake Bay and the rivers which run into it. 3. De