« AnteriorContinuar »
1. Seuthes asked, "Would you be willing, Episthenes, to die for this boy?" And he said, holding up his hands, "Strike, if the boy commands you to strike." 2. He feared that the men from the mountains would not make war with the Greeks.
N. B. — The sentences below need correction: write out corrected forms for them with a right translation.
3. Ei oi8eir ipxppai his aKovoi ipe, ov8tis oocpartpos slew.
4. 'ApuTTrjaav ol 'EXXijves Ka I elirou Tov ms els Tio jroXeo>r rovrq thai.
5. And Xenophon, on arriving, said to Seuthes, that the men were friendly, and would have sent mercenaries if he had asked it.
1. The general with all his soldiers sailed away from the island, thinking that Cimon had come from Athens with twenty-seven ships. 2. The gods know well what it is best for man to have: to some they give much gold, to others a beautiful body, to others neither of these gifts. 3. (Write the following sentence in a corrected form, with the accents.)
rap toaou epavros avrovs iva Takavrov 8t ol Sv6ptmoi iiravcovTai
And immediately these soldiers came back and informed Xenophon that the enemy in great numbers had occupied the heights before Cleonymus had been able to lead his horsemen into the village. Then Xenophon said that if it seemed best to the other generals, he himself would march with his own men against the barbarians, that they might not attack the Greeks with their whole force.
Xenophon, the Athenian, fearing that, if he should leave Chirisophus and proceed by himself to attack the enemy, the barbarians would easily master the rest of the Grecian force before he could send them assistance, said that if the gods were willing to save them, they could save them where they were; but if not, that it was fitting that they should remain and suffer whatever the gods appointed until death came.
1. Decline Sa\aa-o-a, n\6os, and \lav throughout, and yty in the singular. Explain the Accent of the oblique cases of yty, 2. Decline the Adjective pi\as. Compare o-ucppau and cocpus, and give the rules. Compare piyas. 3. Decline ovros and f'paxtTov. 4. Give the rule for the Augment of verbs compounded with a preposition. Give the Imperfect Indicative Active of imypa<pa and irepiypcxpo. 5. Give the rules for the formation of the Future Active. Inflect the Future Indicative Active of ayye'XXo>. 6. Give the Second Aorist Indicative (Active, Passive, and Middle) of X«W Inflect the Present Optative Active of ripaa. 7. Give a synopsis of the Second Aorist Active of rid^u, and inflect the Imperative. 8. Mention any classes of verbs which are followed by the Genitive. How is the Agent expressed after verbals in -rear ? 9. K6ptu Xaplreatrw ipnuu (hair resembling that of the Graces): Explain the Dative Xapirfo-a-iv. 10. What constructions follow Iva and onas to denote a purpose? When is each construction used1 11. Divide the following verses into feet, and name the feet: —
XaJpere, K7jpvKes, Atij Hyye\ot i^5£ Kal ivSp&v,
1. Decline the Nouns pova-a and reixps. Explain the change of accent in pova-a where it is not the same as in the Nominative Singular. What nouns in a of the first declension have as in the Genitive Singular? 2. Decline the Adjective xapUis in the Singular. 3. Decline the Pronouns <ru and ofror. 4. What are the syllabic and temporal augments respectively 1 What is the ordinary reduplication, and what is the Attic reduplication? 5. Conjugate the Verbs rpifia, ayy(X\a>, and ypaqba. Inflect the Perfect Indicative Passive of ypa<pa>, and explain the euphonic changes which the root ypatp- undergoes in that tense. 6. How is the Future Active of a liquid verb formed 1 7. Give a synopsis of the Present and Second Aorist Active of irnqpn, and reflect those tenses in the Indicative. 8. What is the difference between 6 (TO<j)6s avqp and 0 avqp o-o<f>6s l What does avqp 6 <ro0os
mean 1 What do airos 6 avqp and 6 avrbs avqp mean? 9. In the phrase tic Tovt<ov hv \iyei, explain the case of Gr. 10. In dependent clauses, which tenses of the Indicative are followed by the Subjunctive, and which by the Optative? 11. Translate Xtndavei iavrov cro<pos a>v, and explain the use of Xavdavu with the participle.
1. Which consonants are called labials, which Unguals, and which palatals? Explain Syncope and Crisis, and give an example of each. 2. Define an Enclitic. Give the Enclitics which you remember. 3. Decline the Nouns povo-a and npaypa. Give the rule for the accent of the Genitive Plural of each. 4. Compare d\q6qr, ayadas, and Kqkos. 5. Decline ode in the Singular, and Ootis in the Plural. 6. Explain the Attic Reduplication, and give an example. How are verbs beginning with a diphthong augmented! Give the Imperfect and First Aorist Active of alrla. 7. Inflect the First Aorist Middle Indicative of /SouAewB, and the Second Aorist Passive Optative of XeiVa. 8. Give a synopsis of the Second Aorist Middle of rl6qpi through all the moods, and inflect the Indicative. 9. Where are evpoi, tvpqo-oi, and evpedelq formed, and from what verb? 10. What cases follow Verbs of accusing, prosecuting, and convicting i If these verbs are compounded with Kara, what construction follows them? 11. Translate tx Tovtwv Ziv Xe'yft> and octroi hv eiSes &vSpa. Explain the attraction in each case. 12. Explain the Genitive Absolute. When is the Accusative Absolute used 1
Sophomore Questions. — 1. Translate Emev on Tovto troiolq,