« AnteriorContinuar »
Genitive and Vocative Singular of στρατιώτης. Decline ιχθύς in the Singular and veós in the Plural number. 3. Decline the Adjectives αληθής, ήδίων. Compare μικρός, μέλας, σοφός. 4. Decline σύ, ούτος, and the Masculine Singular of όστις. 5. Give a synopsis of the Future Active of pévw, of the Second Aorist Active of τίθημι, and of the Present Middle of δίδωμι. 6. Inflect the Imperfect Middle of pidéw, and the Aorist Middle Indicative of Bouleuw. 7. State the tense, mood, voice, and Present Indicative First Singular of the following verbal forms : λιπώ, νομιώ, ετύψω, έστω. 8. Translate την αυτήν γνώμην (opinion) ημϊν έχουσιν, and explain the case of ημίν. SOPHOMORE QUESTIONS. – 1. When is the subject of the In
finitive Mood regularly omitted? When does the Aorist Infinitive refer to past time relatively? When does örı or és take the Optative Mood?— give examples. 2. By what mood and tense is a supposition referring to past time, and represented as contrary to fact, expressed ? Give an example. 3. Translate R10v iva ton. What might be substituted for ion, and
ήλθεν ίδη which would be the more regular form ?
1. Define an Enclitic. Give the Enclitics which you remember. State the quantity of the a in the following words, and give the rules : dóća (Nom. Sing.), dúćas (Acc.), énidas. What must be the quantity of the a in owua, and why? 2. Decline the Nouns πράγμα, χώρα, γύψ, νεώς, in the Singular, and τριήρης, äory, in the Plural. What exceptions to the usual rules for Accent occur among the forms here required? 3. Decline the Pronouns ούτος and όστις. Decline in the Singular the Participle βεβουλευκώς and the Adjective γλυκύς. Compare γλυκύς and ydús, and decline the Comparative of the latter in the Plural. 4. Inflect the Imperfect Active and the Present Optative Middle of tipáw, writing both uncontracted and contracted forms. Give synopses of the Aorist Active, Middle, and Passive of Bouleuw
through all the moods. 5. Where are αγγελώ, έστω, στώ, έλύσω, anpow, formed (i. e. tense, mood, voice), and from what verbs ? Infect the first and the last. 6. Translate ή αυτή γυνή, - αύτη η γυνή, - η γυνή αυτή, writing the Greek with the English. SOPHOMORE QUESTIONS. - 1. Translate on TOÛTO Toñoai, and
-1 έφη τούτο ποιήσειν. Substitute είπεν ότι for έφη, and make the requisite changes in ποιήσαι and ποιήσειν. 2. Translate όστις αν έλθη, όψεται,- όστις ήλθεν, είδεν άν. To what kind of sentences are these relative clauses analogous ? Explain the two uses of the adverb äv illustrated above. 3. How is a Purpose expressed in Greek? How a Wish referring to Future Time? How a Prohibition in the Second Person?
1. Write more correctly Βάκχος, τέτριβμαι, νύκτ’ όλην, ούτως φησί. What is Crasis ? Give an example. Mark the quantity of the final syllables in the following words : dóca (Nom. Sing.), dóta (Nom. Dual), kpırás (Acc. Pl.), deuévas (Acc. Pl.), dúoas (Part.). 2. Decline the Nouns Πέρσης, πόλις, τείχος, κέρας, in the Singular, and Buocheús, ávøyewv, in the Plural. 3. Decline the Pronouns oů (i) and tis. Decline the Numeral cis, and in the Plural the Adjectives tâs and mpãos. What exceptions to the regular rules for Accent occur among the forms here required ? 4. Compare σώφρων, τάλας, αγαθός, and decline one of the Comparatives of the last in the Plural. 5. Inflect the Present Optative Active of riuaw, and the Imperfect Middle of didwul. Give synopses of the Future Middle of kreivw, and of the Second Aorist Active of tionue through all the moods. 6. Where are λίπω, λιπώ, @, elw, expivw, formed i. e. tense, mood, voice), and from what verbs ? Give synopses of the first and last.
SOPHOMORE QUESTIONS. — 1. Translate éon kalôs åv apáčac in two ways, showing what two forms in Direct Discourse are here represented. 2. Translate λέγει εάν δόξη αυτώ, -λέξει εάν δόξη auto, and explain the two uses of the Subjunctive. 3. Trans
late όστις είδεν, εχάρη άν, and explain the meaning of the relative sentence. What would be the meaning, if the verbs were changed to the Optative of the same tense ? What negative particle would be proper with the first verb? Describe two classes of Relative Sentences.
1. Give an example of Elision. In what words does the acı cent of the elided vowel disappear with the vowel? What is the word té called with respect to accent ? Give the other words of the same sort. Write tuvos after åvopánou with the accents properly disposed. Write té after oua. 2. Decline πόλις, Σκύθης, οικία, οστέον in the Singular, and σύκον, νεώς, θώς, tpiñpns in the Dual and Plural. Give the Genitive, Dative, and Accusative in all genders and numbers of ačios, yukús, of the Present Active Participle of cornue, and of the Perfect Active Participle of βουλεύω (or παύω). 3. Compare σοφός, τάλας, αληθής, Tolús. Decline the Comparative of péyas. Form an adverb from ndús, and compare it. Decline oú in the Dual and Plural and oŮtos in the Singular. Give the Cardinal Numerals as far as twelve. 4. Give synopses (through all the moods) of the Aorist Middle and Aorist Passive of βουλεύω (or παύω), and infect the Imperative. Give synopses of the Perfect Passive of théw and the Present Active of δίδωμι. Inflect the Perfect Passive Indicative of théw and the Imperfect Passive of tiuko. 5. Where are μενώ, επαύσω, λιπώ, στώ, ίω, and εδίδω formed (i. e. tense, mood, voice), and from what verbs ?
SOPHOMORE QUESTIONS. - 1. What is the construction in Object Clauses after verbs of striving? How do such clauses differ from Pure Final Clauses? What is a General Supposition ? How are General Suppositions expressed ? How are Prohibitions in the Second and Third Persons expressed in Greek? Translate έφη δώσειν ει δύναιτο, and state what form the last three words would have in the Direct Discourse.
4. Give synopses
1. Give an example of Crasis. When does Iota become subscript in Crasis ? Write té after képas with the accents properly disposed. Write eiui after Küpos. What is ós called with respect to accent ? 2. Decline βασιλεύς, δεσπότης, χώρα, κέρας in the Singular, and åváyewv, ixdús, äotu in the Dual and Plural. Give the Genitive, Dative, and Accusative, in all genders and numbers, of χαρίεις and αληθής, of the Second Aorist Active Participle of δίδωμι, and of the Perfect Active Participle of βουλεύω (or παύω). 3. Compare άξιος, μέλας, σώφρων, μέγας. Decline the Comparative of ndús. Form an adverb from taxts, and compare it. Decline εγώ, όστις, ούτος in the Dual and Plural. (through all the moods) of the Aorist Middle of Boulevw and the Present Passive of τιμάω and ίστημι. Infect the Future Optative Active of ảyyéklw and the Perfect Passive Indicative of τρίβω. 5. Where are ειδώ, έστω, έπαύσω, ίω, λίπω, λιπώ, ετιμώ, and édiow formed (i. e. tense, mood, voice), and from what verbs?
SOPHOMORE QUESTIONS. - 1. Translate εί τούτο ποιείν δύναται, ποιεί, and εάν τούτο ποιείν δύνηται, ποιεϊ, and explain the two sorts of Conditional Sentences. How would the latter be written if Trolei were changed to étolec ? Describe two classes of Relative Sentences. 2. What is the construction in Greek after verbs of fearing ? after verbs of hindering? Give the general rule for the Indirect Quotation of compound sentences after őri or ós. Translate χαλεπόν ευρείν and φησίν ευρείν, and explain the two distinct uses of the Infinitive.
1. Decline kpiths, mous, and the Singular of voos. Explain the accent of the Nominative and Genitive Singular and the Nominative Plural of voos. 2. Decline the Adjective xpuoeos in the Singular of all genders, and tâs in the Plural. Compare ropós, ģdús, and uéyas; and the Adverb oopôs. 3. Decline the
Pronouns eyó and oú in the Plural, oŮ in all numbers, and oŮtos in the Plural. Explain the accent of oide and olotiol. 4. Give a synopsis of the Future and Aorist Middle of Bouleuw (in all the moods), and inflect the Optative of each. Give a synopsis of the Second Aorist Passive of deinw, and inflect the Subjunctive. Inflect the Perfect Passive Indicative of leita, and explain the euphonic changes. 5. Give a synopsis of the Second Aorist Active of didwul, and of the Second Aorist Middle of rionue, and inflect the Indicative of each. 6. Translate εκ των πόλεων ών ετύγχανεν έχων, and explain the case of ών and the construction of exwv. 7. Give rules for the position of the Article, (1) with a noun and an adjective, (2) with a noun and a demonstrative pronoun, (3) with aŭtós. Give an example of each, and translate it. 8. Give the names and mark the quantity of the feet of two syllables.
SOPHOMORE QUESTIONS. — 1. Explain the ordinary difference between the Subjunctive and the Future Indicative after onws, and give an example of each. 2. Translate εί δύναιτο, τούτο επoίει, and εί δύναιτο, τούτ' άν ποιoίη, and explain the two uses of the Optative. Explain the two corresponding uses of the Subjunctive, and give examples. 3. What various constructions follow mpív? give examples. Is τούτο ποιήσω πριν αν έλθω or TOŪTO Toiņow apiv endelv more correct ? — and why?
1. What consonants are called liquids ? How are mutes divided into labial, palatal, and lingual mutes ? 2. Form the Future of τρίβω, γράφω, and πείθω, and explain the euphonic changes which are made before the ending 3. Inflect the Perfect Passive (τέτριμμαι) of τρίβω, and explain the euphonic changes made in adding the endings -μαι, -σαι, ται, -σθον, and -σθε to the stem τριβ-. 4. Decline the Nouns πολίτης and νησος in the Singular, and déw and Baoideus in the Dual and Plural. Give the Accusative Singular of έρις, ελπίς, πόλις, and ναύς ; and