« AnteriorContinuar »
give a rule for each case. 5. Decline the Pronouns try and Sonr. 6. Give a synopsis (through all the moods and participles) of the Future Passive of ha, (or povkeva). Give a synopsis of the Second Aorist Middle of XttVnu, and inflect the Indicative and Imperative. 7. Give a synopsis of the Second Aorist Middle of riSrjiu, and inflect the Optative. Give the Principal Parts of urnfp* and &ihapx. 8. What is the difference between the use of the Article in Attic Greek and in Homer? Give a rule for the position of the article with adjectives and with demonstrative pronouns, and give an example of each. 9. Which tenses of the Indicative are primary1 and which are secondary (or historical)] How does this distinction often affect the mood of a dependent verb 1 10. What is the difference between the Imperfect and Aorist Indicative? and between the Present and Aorist Subjunctive!
Sophomore Questions. — 1. Explain the principle of Indirect Quotations, as regards both the leading and the dependent verbs. When can the Subjunctive be used in Indirect Questions in Greek 1 Give an example. 2. Explain the analogy between relative sentences and conditional sentences, and give examples. 3. What form of the Infinitive construction can follow verbs denoting hindrance or prevention (like tIpya, to prevent)? Give examples.
1. Correct the form yeypcuppai, and form the Second and Third Persons Singular of it. Perform the operations of Crasis and Elision on the words prire 6 avfjp. 2. Decline in the Singular Bahatroa, Sea~n6rr)s, 6pl£, and 8<ttv, and in the Plural Tpiriprjs. 3. Decline the Pronouns o-o in all numbers, Ostos and Sans in the Singular. Decline ij8us in the Plural. Compare o-o(p6s, pl\as, Kqkos, and pa8ios. 4. Inflect the Aorist Subjunctive Passive of Ttpaa, the Present Indicative of etpi, the Second Perfect ot8a in the Indicative. 5. Write the Perfect of aKova, the Future and Aorist of Sidapt, the Second Aorist of Upavdava and of dnodvfiarKa, — all in the Active Voice. 6. How do d avrjp dyaBos and o ayaBbs avfjp differ in meaning? How is a Wish referring to future time expressed? 7. Write out the scheme of the Dactylic Hexameter Verse.
Sophomore Questions. — 1. What is the difference in meaning between ifiaal\tvof and tfiaai\tvo-al Give the different constructions in use after tm in Final Clauses. How do Final and Object Clauses differ in meaning? 2. How do « nuas lSoi, oiSiv ai > toroi and et rivat tSoi, oiSii/ they differ in sense and grammar ] What form of Direct Discourse is represented by i\tyev on ypa\)reiev l How do you express a Wish referring to past time 1 Write out the scheme of the Iambic Trimeter Acatalectic.
1. Explain Elision and Crasis; give examples in Art tripe and Koi airot. 2. What are Enclitics? Correct the accent of ovroe io-rtv, riuai re, riuav Ts, Toutou yi. 3. Decline the Nouns vriaos, hay, and fiaai\evs throughout, and avTjp in the Singular. 4. Decline the Adjective yKvxvs. Compare aefivos, 6£vs, and dXijtfijr. 5. Give the synopsis of the Future Passive of ha, (or fiovKtva) through all the moods, and inflect the Indicative. Inflect the Present Indicative Passive of dijXou (in the contract form). In what places in this verb is the form 817X0! found 1 6. Give the synopsis of the Second Aorist Middle of rtf^u in all the moods, and inflect the Optative. Inflect the imperfect of eifu (to go). 7. State briefly the distinction in the uses of the adverb 3v.
Sophomore Questions. — 1. Explain the analogy between the expression of a Wish and of a Condition. What are the constructions which may follow expressions denoting hindrance? What are the two uses of an Aorist Infinitive? Translate "He does this whenever he pleases," and "He did this whenever he pleased." 2. What are the differences between the Homeric use of the Article and the Attic use 1 3. What varieties of verse are measured by Dipodies? Explain the substitutions in the Iambic Dipody. How does the Trochaic Dipody differ from this ]
1. Write down the smooth mutes; the labial mutes. Perform Crasis and Elision on /^re 6 dvqp. 2. Form the Accusative Plural of Tipij, Vocative Singular of jroXiVqr, entire Singular uncontracted and contracted of oarkov, Singular in all cases of fiaaiktis, Nominative Plural and Genitive Plural of napa and jeokis. 3. Decline. d\rj6t)s in the Singular. Compare dyados and Kaxpos. Decline true in all its numbers, and Sons in Masculine Singular. 4. Form the Second Person Singular, Aorist Imperative Middle of [iov\fva. Form the First Person Singular of Xvu in Aorist Optative Passive, of tpeiya in Second Aorist Subjunctive Active, of helms in 2d Aorist Indie. Middle. Form the Second Person Singular of Ti%u in Second Aorist Indicative Middle. Inflect tlpi (I go) in the Present Indicative. Write out the Principal Parts of yiyvexrim and «8/8a/xt. 5. How is the Article used in Homer? What is the difference between Ka\6s 6 jralr and 6 Kakos irais 1 Scxparepos ianv ii iyi> J express this by changing 4yi> into an oblique case. What constructions are used in Final Clauses 1 How do you express a General Supposition in present and in past timel What is a Dactyl, an Iambus, a Trochee, an Anapaest 1
Sophomore Questions. — 1. Explain the use of tva with the past tenses of the indicative. Explain the Accusative in paxqv viKav. Express "that man" in Greek prose. What constructions are allowed with verbals in -ttoj, -rtov 1 What tenses and moods are used to express Prohibition t Write out the scheme of the Iambic Trimeter Acatalectic both of Tragedy and of Comedy, naming the feet employed.
1. State the general principle for the Accent of verbs, with such exceptions as you remember. 2. Decline the Nouns MoOcra, ntxos, and 6vyarqpi the Singular of <p\fy, and the Plural of \eav. 3. Decline the Pronouns <ri and fir, and the Numeral els. 4. Compare raxis, alo-xp6s, and Kokos, and decline one of the Comparatives of the last in the Plural. 5. Inflect the Present Optative Middle of npaa, and the Imperfect Middle of rt%u. Give a synopsis of the Present Active of SijXoa, and of the Aorist Passive of Itmjpi. 6. If in the sentence tpxerai Iva rriv Jtoxik tin the first verb should be changed to rjkBev, how would you construct the dependent verb? 7. Translate into Greek the following: I saw those who were present, and I say that I have seen them.
Sophomore Questions. — 1. Translate e<prj naXus b\v npagai in two ways, showing what two forms in Direct Discourse are represented. 2. Translate oonr fl8ev, ix°P1 ",v> anc^ explain the meaning of the relative sentence. What negative particle would be proper with the first verb 1 3. Under what circumstances is a secondary tense of the Indicative used in a Final Clause after ha?
I. Give the accusative, singular and plural, of Moira, Oikio, xi>pa, and Tips. Decline vrjo-os in the singular, and Ian, in the plural. 2. Decline the adjective ykviais in the singular, and as in the plural. Compare Koitpos, Wu, a\rjdrjs, and fjSvs. 3. How is the Future Indicative Active of a liquid verb formed? Give an example, and inflect it through all the numbers and persons, i. Give the principal parts of ypa<po, \apf}ava, and (pepu. 5. Inflect the Imperfect Active of ta-njpi, and the 2d Aorist Optative Active of ri6tnu. 6. What is a stem in grammar 1 In \e\appai and in tpp-«p6ai, point out the stem and the other parts of each word; also explain all the euphonic changes made in any of the parts. 7. Translate 7roXXoi Tcok pov\opt'vav dvai cotpav, and explain the case of o-o(pav. Translate o epos Tov ra\aijrupou /9cos, and explain the genitive. Explain the Accusative in jrXiry^y rvnrei. 8. Translate iai> 'lo vvv, jrore eVrai oucoi, and tjv tyyvs Bavaros, avbeis jSouXtrai 6vrjo-Keiv, and explain the subjunctive in each case. Translate <prja\t> V\deiv and /3ouX«rai t\lkXr, and explain the tense of cKdtlv in each. 9. What is a trochee, a tribrach, an anapaest, a cretic 1 Explain the terms catalectic, dipody, dimeter. How many feet are there in a trochaic dimeter, and how many in a dactylic dimeter] 10. Why is rj\6ev Iva Z87 more correct than ?/>xfTal "iva How is i8j to be ex
plained ] Translate into Greek: they took care (eVt/«Xe'oftai) that this should be done (ylyvopai), and explain the construction used in the dependent clause. 11. What is the difference between Xp*lv <rt rovro Troietv and xph at Tovto noitiv? Express in Greek: 0 that this had happened, 0 that this might happen, and 0 that this were true; and explain the verbal form used in each case. 12. What is an anapestic dimeter acatalectic, — an anapestic tetrameter catalectic, — an anapaestic system? What is an elegiac distich i
1. Decline the nouns vriixos in the Singular, \cav in the Dual and Plural, and /SaoiXeus in all numbers. Explain the accent of v>ja-os and law wherever it varies from that of the Nominative Singular. 2. Decline the Pronouns true in all numbers and Sorts in the Plural. Explain the accents of the Genitive and Dative Plural of Sorts. 3. In what two principal ways are adjectives compared by change of termination 1 Give examples of each. Compare Kaxos, dyados, d.\rj6ris, and peas. 4. Give the principal parts of ir\tKa>, \a^ava, Si'8ayu, and Iot?//m. 5. Inflect the Aorist Optative Passive of \va, the Aorist Imperative Passive of Xw»,' the Imperfect Passive of ton;/u, and the Second Aorist Optative Middle of ri'dijpi. 6. Explain the euphonic changes which occur in the following forms :— Xvovoy, XfXet/i/tat (near-), Sous (8oer-), w5£ (vvkt-), irtneina (rest)-), ridvKa (the), iredrjv (6e-). 7. When any forms of the substantive pronoun of the Third Person (oS, of, o^fflv, &c.) are used in Attic prose, what is their peculiar force?