« AnteriorContinuar »
follow thy blessed saints in all virtuous and godly living, that we may come to those unspeakable joys, which thou hast prepared for those who unfeignedly love thee,through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen
I’or the Eftistle. Rev. vii. 2.
ND I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God ; and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea, saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads. And I heard the number of them which were sealed; and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand, of all the tribes of the children of Israel. Of the tribe of Judah were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Reuben were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Gad were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Aser were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Nepthalim were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Manasses were sealed twelve thousand Of the tribe of Simeon were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Levi were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Issachar were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Zabulon were sealed twelve thousand.
Of the tribe of Joseph were : sealed twelve thousand.
Of the tribe of Benjamin were sealed twelve thousand.
After this I beheld, and lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, cloathed with white robes, and palms in their hands; and cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God, which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb. And all the angels stood round about the throne, and aboyt the elders, and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped God, saying, Amen : Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.
they shall obtain mercy. Bles-are ye, when men shall revile sed are the pure in heart : for you, and persecute you, and they shall see God. Blessed shall say all manner of evil are the peace-makers: for they against you falsely for my sake. shall be called the children of Rejoice and be exceeding God. Blessed are they which glad : for great is year reward are persecuted for righteous-in heaven : for so persecuted ness' sake: for theirs is the they the prophets wheh were kingdom of heaven. Blessed before you.
THE ORDER FOR THE
ADMINISTRATION OF THE LORD'S SUPPER,
* If among those who come to be partakers of the Holy Communion, the Minister shall know any to be an open and motorious evil liver, or to have done any wrong to his neighbours by word or deed, so that the Congregation be thereby offended; he shall advertise hin, that he presume not to come to the Lord's Table, until he have openly declared himself to have truly repented aud amended his former evil life, that the Congregation may thereby be satisfied; and that he hath recompensed the parties to whom he hath done wrong ; or at least declare himself to be in full purpose so to do, as soon as he conveniently may.
* The same order shall the Minister use with those, betwirt whom he perceiveth malice and hatred to reign : not suffering them to be partakers of the Lord's Table, until he know them to be reconciled. And if one of the parties, so at variance, be content to forgive from the bottom of his heart all that the other hath trespassed against him, and to make amends for that wherein he himself hath offended ; and the other party will not be persuaded to a godly unity, but remain still in his frowardness and malice ; the Minister in that case ought to admit the penitent person to the Holy Communion, and not him that is obstinate : Provided, that every Minister so repelling any, as is herein specifical, shall be obli-ed to give an account of the same to the Ordinary, as soon as conveniently may be.
* The Table, at the Communion time, having a fair white linen cloth upon it, shall stand in the body of the Church, or in the Chancel; and the Minister, standing at the north side of the table, or where Morning and Erening Prayer are appointed to be said, shall say the Lord's Prayer and the Collect following,
the People kneeling ; but the Lord’s Pra Morning prayer hall been said immediate
UR Father, who art in
Heaven, Hallowed be thy Name; thy Kingdom come ; Thy Will be done on Earth, as it is in Heaven : Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasscs, as we forgive those who trespass against us; And lead us not into temptation; But deliver us from evil: For thine is the Kingdom, and the Power, and the Glory, for ever and ever. ..fijien,
LMIGHTY God, unto
whom all hearts are open, all desires known, and from whom no secrets are hid: cleanse the thoughts of our hcarts by the inspiration of thy holy Spirit; that we may perfectly love thee, and worthily magnify thy holy Name, through Chiist our Lord.
* Then shall the Minister, turning to the Peofile, rehearse distinctly the Trn Commandments ; and the Peofile, still kneeling, shall. after every commandment, ask God mercy for their transgressions for the time fast, and grace to kces, the
may be omitted, if before.
Minister. OD spake these words, and said, I am the Lord thy God t Thou shalt have none other gods but me. Peofile. Lord, have mercy upon us, and incline our hearts to keep this law. Minister. Thou shalt not make to thyself any graven image, nor the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, or in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down to them nor worship them : For I the Lord thy God am a jealous God; and visit the sins of the Fathers upon the children, unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; and show mercy unto thousands in them that love me, and keep my commandments. Peofile. Lord, have mercy upon us, and incline our hearts. to keep this law. Minister. Thcu shalt not take the Name of the Lord thy God in vain: For the Lord will not hold him guiltless, that taketh his Name in vain. Peofile. Lord, have mercy upon us, and incline our hearts to keep this law. Minister. Remember that thou keep holy the Sabbath
law for the timic to come as followcth.
day. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all that thou hast to do ; but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God. In it thou shalt do no manner of work ; thou, and thy son, and thy daughter, thy man-servant, and thy maidservant, thy cattle, and the stranger that is within thy gates. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day ; wherefore the Lord blessed the seventh day, and hallowed it. Peofile. Lord, have mercy upon us, and incline our hearts to keep this law. Minister. Honourthy father and thy mother; that thy days may be long in the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee. Peofile. Lord, have mercy upon us, and incline our hearts to keep this law. Asinister. Thou shalt d. no murder. Peofile. Lord, have mercy upon us, and incline our hearts to keep this law. Minister. Thou shalt not commit adultery. Peofile. Lord, have mercy upon us, and incline our hearts to keep this law. Ministers. Thou shalt not steal. Peofile. Lord, have mercy upon us, and incline our hearts to keep this-law. Minister. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour. Peofile. Lord, have mercy upon us, and incline our hearts to keep this law. Afinister, Thou shalt g
covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighLoui's wife, nor his servant, (9r his maid, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is his.
Peofile. Lord, have mercy upon us, and write all these thy laws in our hearts, we beseech thee.
* Then the Minister may say,
Hear also what our Lord Jesus Christ saith. THOU shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind: This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
* Let us Pray, | ALMIGHTY Lord, and everlasting God, vouchsafe, we beseech thee, to direct, sanctify, and govern, both our hearts and bodies, in the ways of thy laws, and in the works of thy commandments, that, through thy most mighty protection, both here and ever, we may be preserved in body and soul, through our Lord *nd Savicur Jesus. Christ. Amen.
* Then shall be said the Co. lect of the Day: and immediately after the Collect, the Minister shall read the Epistle, saying, The Epistle [or, The Portion of Scripture appointed for the Epis:
174 THE COMMUNION.
tle] is written in the—chapter of , beginning at the —verse. ..And the Ehistle ended, he shall say, Here endeth the Epistle. Then shall be read the Gosfiel (the fieofile all standing us.) saying, The Holy Gospel is written in the – chapter of , beginning at the – verse,
* Here the fleofile shall say,
Glory be to Thee, O Lord.
* Then shall be read the Ahostles' or .Vicene Creed: unless one of them hath been 1.ad immediately before, in the Morning Service. Then the Minister shall declare unto the Peofile what Holy-days, or Fasting-days, are in the week following to be observed; and (if occasion be ) shall Notice be given of the Communion, and of the Bans of Matri7nony, and other Matters to be fublished. * Then shall follow the Sermon : after which, the Mimister, when there is a Communion, shall return to the Lord's Table, and begin the Offertory, saying one or more of these sentences fltowing, as he thinketh most convenient.
ET your light so shine be. fore men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. St. Matt. v. 16. Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where
moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal. St. Matt. vi. 19. 20.
, Whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, even so.
and the prophets. St. Matt. vii. 12. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. St. Matt. vii. 21. Zaccheus stood forth, and said unto the Lord, Behold, Lord, the half of my goods i give to the poor; and if I have done any wrong, to any man, I restore four-fold. St. Luke. xix. 8. Who goeth a warfare at any time at his own cost Who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof; or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock 2 l Cor. ix. 7. If we have sown unto you. spiritual things, is it a great matter if we shall reap your worldly things? I Cor. ix. 11. Do ye not know, that they who minister about holy things, live of the sacrifice;
are partakers with the altar * Even so hath the Lord also ordained that they who preach the Gospel, should live of the Gospel. 1 Cor. ix. 13, 14.
do to them : for this is the law
and they who wait at the altar, "