« AnteriorContinuar »
Laying on of Hands upon those that are baptized and come to Years of Discretion.
* Upon the Day appointed, all that are to be then Confirmed, being A laced and standing in order be. Jore the Bishop; he, or some other Afinister appointed by him,shall read this Preface following : O the end that Confirmation may be ministered to the more edifying of such as shall receive it, the Church hath thought good to order, that none shall be confirmed, but such as can say the Creed, the Lord's Prayer, and the Ten Commandments; and can also answer to such other Questions, as in the short Catechism are contained: Which order is very convenient to be observed; to the end that children, being now come to the years of discretion, and hav
leinn promise and vow that ye made, or that was made in your name, at your Baptism; ratifying and confirming the same ; and acknowledging yourselves bound to believe and to do all those things which ye then undertook, or your Sponsors then undertook for you?
* ...And every one shall audibly answer, I do. Pishof. UR help is in the Name of the Lord ; ...Ans. Who hath made heaven and earth. Bishof. Blessed be the Name of the Lord. ...Ans. Henceforth world
ing learned what their Godfathers and Godmothers promised for them in Baptism, may themselves, with their own mouth and consent, openly before the Church ratify and confirm the same; and also
without end. Bishof. Lord hear our pray
LMIGHTY and everliv
promise, that, by the grace of God, they will evermore cndeavour themselves faithfully to observe such things as they, by their own confession, have assented unto.
* Then shall the Bishof, say,
O you here, in the presence of God, and of this Congregation, renew the so
ing God, who hast vouchsafed to regenerate these thy servants by Water and the Holy Ghost, and hast given unto them forgiveness of all their sins; strengthen them, we besceeh thee, O Lord, with the Holy Ghost,the comforter; and daily increase in them thy manifold gifts of grace; the
of wisdom and under-Majesty; we make our hum. standing, the spirit of counsel ble supplications unto thee for and ghostly strength, the spi- these thyservants,upon whom, it of knowledge and true god- after the example of thy holy liness; and fill them, O Lord, Apostles, we have now laid with the spirit of thy holy fear, our hands; to certify them, by "ow and for ever. Amen. this sign of thy favour and
--- them in the knowledge and EFEND, O Lord, this obedience of thy Word, that thy, Child, [or this thy in the end they may obtain Servant] with thy heavenly everlasting life, through our *** : that he may continue Lord Jesus Christ ; who, with thine for ever, and daily in-thee and the Holy Ghost, livcrease in thy Holy Spirit more ethand reigneth everone God, *nd more, until he come unto world without end. Amen. thy everlasting kingdom. iO ALMIGHTY Lord, and * Then shall the Bishof, say, everlasting God, vouchThe Lord be with you safe, we beseech thee, to di.4ns. And with th yo, |rect, sanctify, and govern both • AIl * thy spirit our he. bodies, in the * ...And all kneeling down the ways of thy laws, and in the Bishof, shall add, works of thy commandments; Let us pray. that through thy most mighty Oto Father, who art in o . Heaven, Hallowed bethy Womay, be p eserved in i. Name; Thy Kingdom come, and soil. through o gr Thy Will be done on Earth, and Saviour Jesus Christ. as it is in heaven; Give us”. this day our daily bread; And T.And the Bishon shall bless
forgive us our trespasses, as them, saying thus : we forgive those who trespass HE blessing of God Alagainst us; And lead us not mighty, the Father, the into temptation; But deliver Son, and the Holy Ghost, be us from evil. Amen. upon you, and remain with * ...And this Collect. you for ever. Amen.
LMIGHTY and everliv-'os And there shall none be ading God, who makest us mitted to the Holy Commuboth to will and to do those nion, until such time as he be things which are good, and confirmed, or be ready and acceptable unto thy point desirous to be confirmed.
SOLEMNIZATION OF MATRIMONY.
* The Laws respecting Matrimony, whether by publishing the Bans in Churches, or by Licence, being different in the several States ; every Minister is left to the dir ction of those Laws, in every thing that , egards the civil contract between the Parties And when the Bans are published, it shall be in the following form—I publish the Bans of Marriage between M. of ,and N. of If any of you know cause or just impediment, why these two persons should hot be joined together in holy Matrimony, ye are to declare it.
[This is the first, second, or third
T At the Day and Time appointed for Solemnization of Matrimony, the Persons to be married shall come into the Body of the Church, or shall be ready in some proper house, with their Friends and neighbours; and there standing together, the Man on the Right Hand, and the Women on the Left, the Minister shall say, V)*A. beloved, we are gathered together here in the sight of God, and in the face of this Company, to join together this Man, and this Woman in holy Matrimony; which is commended of Saint Paul to be honourable among all men; and therefore is not by any to be entered into unadvisedly or lightly ; but reverently, discreetly, advisedly, soberly, and in the fear of God. Into this holy estate, these two persons present come now to be joined. If any man can show just cause, why they may not lawfully be joined together, let him now speak, or else hereafter for ever hold his peace. * ...And also sfieaking unto the
time of asking.]
REQUIRE and charge you both, (as ye will answer at the dreadful day of judgment, when the secrets of all hearts shall be disclosed) that if either of you know any impediment, why ye may not be lawfully joined together in Matrimony, ye do now confess it : For be ye well assured that if any persons are joinca togetherotherwise than as God's word doth allow, their marriage is not lawful.
* The Minister, if he shall have reason to doubt of the lawfulness of the firoflosed Marriage, may demand sufficient surety for his indemnification; but if no implediment shall be alleged, or sushected, the Minister shall say to the Man,
M. W W WILT thou have this - Woman to thy wedded Wife, to live together after God's ordinance, in the holy estate of Matrimony: Wilt thou love her, comfort her, honour, and keep her,
person, who are to be marin sickness and in health; and
ried, he shall say,
only unto her, so long as ye". Then shall they loose their
both shall live *
Hands, and the Jo'oman with her Right Hand aking the Man by his Right Hand, shall likewise say after the Minister,
.V. take thee M. to my
wedded Husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, chetish, and to obey, till death us do part, according to God’s holy ordinance; and thereto I give thee my Troth.
* Then shall they again loose their Hands; and the Man shall give unto the Woman a Ring. And the Minister taking the Ring shall deliver it unto the Man, to fut it usion the fourth Finger of the JJ’oman's Left Hand. ...And the Man holding the Ring there, and taught by the Minister, shall say,
WITH this Ring I thce
Let us pray.
as it is in Heaven; Give us
this day our daily bread; And I". Then shall the Minister forgive us our trespasses, as of cak unto the Comstany: we forgive those who trespass against us ; And lead us not ORASMUCH as M.I. and into temptation ; But deliver ..Y. have consented tous from evil. Amen. gether in holy Wedlock, and () ETERNAL God, Crea- have witnessed the same betor and Preserver of all fore God and this company, mankind, giver of all spiritual and thereto have given and ce, the author of everlast-'pledged their troth, each to ing life; send thy blessing upon the other, and have declared these thy servants, this man the same by giving and receivand this woman, whom we ing a Ring, and by joining bless in thy Name ; that as hands; I pronounce, that they Isaac and Rebecca lived faith- are Man and Wise : In the fully together, so these per- Name of the Father, and of sons may surely perform and the Son, and of the Holy keep the vow and covenant Ghost. Amen. betwixt them made, (whereof this Ring given and received " And the Minister shall add
is a token and ple'ge) and this Blessing : may ever remain in perfect love and peace together, and OD the Father, God the live according to thy laws, Son,God the Holy Ghost, through.Jesus ChristourLord. bless, preserve, and keep you : ..fmen. The Lord mercifully with his
favour iock upon you, and fill you with all spiritual benediction and grace ; that ye may so live together in this life,
Those whom Godhathjoin-|that in the world to come ye ed together, let no man put may have life everlasting. asunder. - 171671.
* Then shall the Minister join their Right Hands together, and say,
THE OR IDER FOR
* When any Person is sick," When he cometh into the notice shall be given there- sick Man's firesence, he shall of to the Minister of the say, kneeli, 3 down, Parish; who, coming into EMEMBER not, Lord, the sick Person’s House, ouriniquities.nor the iniahall say, 'quities of our forcfathers; EACE be to this House, 'Spare us, good Lord, spare and to all that dwellin it. Ithy people, whom thou hast