Imágenes de páginas

there are good openings; the people are anxious for instruction, and a spirit of inquiry is prevalent. In the Italian states, the way is very much shut up, and nearly as much so on this island. The editor of a newspaper is now imprisoned by a British government, for the small offence of having called the Roman Catholic Church an abominable system.' A few years ago, the government would not allow the New Testament to be used in the schools, but the restriction is now removed. The conditions on which the English took possession of the island has been the plea for these proceedings.

“Fourth Month 14th. Distributed a few of my remaining religious tracts, amongst the English ships,—was in some cases cordially and in others coldly received, but hope some little benefit may result. Was graciously owned by the Father of Mercies, in my meeting in the afternoon ; feeling a renewed confidence that, however unprofitable, I am one of his servants.

16th. Took my luggage on board, expecting to sail. Found as passengers, an officer's wife, with her three children. I was glad to find her a professor of religion. 17th. Sailed out of the harbour; had a brisk wind in our favour.

19th. Becalmed all day. The sea smooth, so that we have recovered our appetite, and can read ; but still, as is usual in such cases, time feels long, and hangs rather heavy on our hands; this feeling ought not to be encouraged; so precious a gift should not be thus lightly esteemed ; may we rather endeavour so to occupy and improve it, as to be able to render up our accounts with joy, and not with grief.

“Fourth Month 21st. First day. I regret to say this day has been far from satisfactorily spent. No kind of religious service on board, and scarcely any recognition of its being the Sabbath, with so much noise and distraction as to render

private retirement next to impossible. Beside this, I had to mourn over one transgression, in the middle of the day; and, in the evening, during a discussion on the subject of war, I carried it on in a too confident spirit; my fellowpassenger saw, and very properly rebuked, the arrogant tone which I had assumed.

24th. The north coast of Africa in sight-a fine breeze-running eight or nine knots per hour, until the evening. About ten o'clock the wind suddenly took the sails right a-back, when the ship would not answer the helm; which occasioned a great noise. There was also the sound of water washing over the deck; the whole coming 80 unexpectedly, caused no small trepidation to my fellowpassenger and her children. She very properly betook herself to prayer, and to reading the Scriptures, in which I was glad to join, endeavouring to sympathise with her, though I was convinced there was no real danger.

29th. First day. Not spent to much more edification than the last; but we read a chapter aloud in the evening, in the cabin, I think to some profit.”

Our voyagers entered the Straits of Gibraltar on the Ist of Fifth Month, but the current being strong, and the wind also contrary, they were detained in the bay about eighteen days. Whilst here, it was evident that the disease, under which this dear invalid was suffering, was making insidious progress. It is probable that a cold which he took, by getting wet through, in an unexpected heavy shower of rain, whilst surveying this celebrated rock, accelerated its course. Of this he appeared very sensible. In his journal we find these remarks :

“Fifth Month 14th. On going ashore this afternoon, was thrown into a violent fever, by a very moderate walk

My pulse rose to 120. From a return and continuance of my cough, and one or two other symptoms,

in the sun.

I feel more and more convinced that my complaint is fixed beyond removal. Thus am I loudly called upon to prepare to meet my God. But my heart is very cold, and I can scarcely rest in thought, even for a short time, upon the things of heaven. How widely different are my thoughts and feelings to those of the Saints in Bliss ! This last call was too loud to be lightly treated. Upon an apparently near or certain approach of death, how do I fear to stand before the judgment-seat of a just and holy God. Now am I compelled to flee to the only rock of safety—to the merciful and holy Mediator between God and man. How comforting are his precious invitations to those that are weary and heavy laden, to come unto Him, and He will give them rest. To trust in Him, to believe in Him, and He will be with them unto the end. Oh! may my soul be purified and rendered holy, through the sanctifying influence of his Holy Spirit.

15th. Rose this morning, after an almost sleepless night; took medicine to reduce the feverish symptoms.

“ Fifth Month 16th. Considerably better to-day, but my mouth very sore;


from some internal cause. 19th. A fair wind ; the whole fleet under way; soon had the satisfaction of seeing our little vessel pass one after another, until most were left behind.

22nd. Called up this morning to see a whale, close alongside-nearly as long as the ship, also a few flying fish, nearly white, flying, with apparent ease, a little above the water.

26th. First day. Devoted chiefly to reading, and waiting upon the Lord, but to little sensible benefit.

31st. Perceptibly colder. We are near Ushant. Indications of being in soundings.

“ Sixth Month 2nd. First day. These last three weeks we have had a portion of the Scriptures read in the fore

[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]

noon, in the cabin; was favoured to feel some comfort in my silent waiting, but my general feeling is a sense of desertion and deadness.

4th. Saw the Isle of Wight. The sea smooth as glass.

5th. Light wind. In the evening a breeze sprung up, but so foggy that we were afraid to carry sail ; kept the fog horn blowing through the night.

6th. Entered the Downs. Anchored in the evening near the Nore Light; a large number of vessels in company,

but we out-sailed them all.

7th. Went into Standish Creek. Got clear of quarantine, and reached Gravesend about three o'clock.

“ The pilot said it was the quickest passage he ever had from Dungeness to Gravesend.

8th. Reached London. Felt the pain of parting with my fellow-passenger. In the evening went on board the steamer for Newcastle, and reached Shields on the 10th. Received a most heartfelt welcome from my dear family, who have evinced the most anxious solicitude for their absent member.

“And now my soul bows in reverent gratitude to Almighty God, who has brought me back to my beloved home in peace; who has preserved me in my journeyings, by land and sea ; and at times has been graciously pleased, when I have been cut off from religious intercourse, to refresh


soul with the sensible feeling of his presence ; enabling me to thank Him, and take courage, in the belief, that although truly unprofitable, He, nevertheless, owned me as one of his servants.”

The summer after his return from this long journey, was spent chiefly at home. There did not appear any

fresh alarming symptoms of the disease ; yet it was very evident that its progress was not arrested. The cough and other

symptoms continuing, led himself and his friends to apprehend serious consequences from the approaching winter. The great kindness which he had received from Friends at Congenies, and the beneficial tendency of that climate, led him seriously to meditate a removal to the South of France for the ensuing winter. As the season advanced, however, the prospect of another long separation from the comforts of home, became so formidable and trying to him, that he was induced to abandon the design, and to try a voyage to Southampton, and the Isle of Wight. Accordingly he embarked on the 10th of Ninth Month, and arrived at Southampton on the 24th, where he was kindly received by some Friends, to whom he had been recommended. After viewing some objects of interest in the neighbourhood, he proceeded to the Isle of Wight, visiting the principal towns and natural curiosities. As it was on this island, that, in the wisdom of Providence, he was permitted to finish his course, little more than six months from the period to which we are now arrived, we will take a few extracts from his journal, descriptive of the island, and especially of the village of Ventnor, where he breathed his last.

“Ninth Month 27th. Embarked at Southampton, by steamer, for Cowes. She lay at a very handsome wooden pier, lately erected to facilitate the landing and embarking of passengers, who formerly had to go off in boats. The view at high tide, of this arm of the sea, known by the name of the Southampton Water, is very imposing. It is about ten miles long, and two to three wide, in the broader parts, with trees growing down to the water's edge, and the banks studded with neat little country houses.

Arrived at Cowes, I went direct to Newport; the ride is delightful, part of the way by the Medina river. Visited Carrisbrook Castle, the most extensive castle ruin I have seen in England. From Newport I went to Ryde, and thence

[ocr errors]
« AnteriorContinuar »