« AnteriorContinuar »
. Q. 56. How is Christ to be exalted in his coming again to judge the. world?
A. Christ is to be exalted in his coming again to judge the world, in that he, who was unjustly judged and condemned by wicked men", shall come again at the last day in great power c, and in the full manifestation of his own glory, and of his Father's, with all his holy angels 4, with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet of God , to judge the world in righteousness!
Q. 57. What benefits hath Christ procured by his mediution ?
A. Christ, by his mediation, háth procured redemptions, with all other benefits of the covenant of grace h.
Q. 58. How do we come to be made partakers of the benefits which Christ hath procured ?
A. We are made partakers of the benefits which Christ hath procured, by the application of them unto us', which is the work especi. ally of God the IIoly Ghost"
R. 59. Who are made partakers of redemption through Christ ?
A. Redemption is certainly applied, and effectually communicated, to all those for whom Christ hath purchased it'; who are in time by the IIoly Ghost enabled to believe in Christ according to the gospel m. boldly unto the throne of grace, that we having obtained eternal redemption for may obtain mercy, ind find grace to help us. in time of need.
h 2 Cor. i. 20. For all the promises of 2 Eph. i. 6. To the praise of the glory of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, his grace, wherein he hath made us ac. unto the glory of God by us. cepted in the Beloved.
58. i John i. 11. He came unto his own, à 1 Pet. ii. 5. Ye also, as lively stones, and his own received him not. Ver. 12. are built up a spiritual house, an holy But as many as received him, to them priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, gave he power to become the sons of God, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
even to them that believe on his name. 56. b Acts iii. 14. But ye denied the folyik Tit. iii. 5. Not by works of righteousOne and the Just, and desired a murderer ness which we have done, but according to be granted unto you; Ver. 15. And killed to his mercy he saved us, by the washing the l'rince of life, whom God hath raised of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy froin the dead: whereof we are witnesses. Ghost: Ver. 6. Which he shed on us abun
c Mat. xxiv, 30. And then shall appear dantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour. the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and 59. 1 Erh. i. 13. In whom ye also trusted, then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, after that ye heard the word of truth, the and they shall see the Son of man coming gospel of your salvation: in whom also, in the clouds of heaven with power and after that ye believed, ye were sealeil with great glory.
that Holy Spirit of promise, Ver. 14. Which d Luke ix. 26. For whosoever shall be is the earnest of our inheritance, until the ashained of me, and of my words, of him redemption of the purchased possession, shall the Son of man be ashamed, when unto the praise of his glory. John vi. 37. he shall come in his own glory, and in his All that the Father giveth me shall come Father's, and of the holy angels. Mat. xxv. to ine: and hin that cometh to me I 31. When the Son of man shall come in his will in no wise cast out. Ver. 39. And this glory, and all the holy angels with hiin, is the Father's will which hath sent me, then shall he sit upon the throne of his that of all which he hath given me I should glory.
lose nothing, but should raise it up again ei Thess, iv, 16. For the Lord himself at the last day. John x. 15. As the Father shall descend from heaven with a shout, knoweth me, even so know I the Father: with the voice of the archangel, and with and I lay down my life for the sheep. Ver. the trump of God: and the dead in Christ 16. And other sheep I have, which are not shall rise first.
of this fold: them also I must bring, and Acts xvii. 31. Because he hath appoint- they shall hear my voice; and there shall ed a day, in the which he will judge the be one fold, and one shepherd. world in righteousness by that man whom Eph. ii. 8. For by grace are ye saved he hath mained; whereof he hath given through faith; and that not of yourselves : assurance urito all men, in that he hath it is the gift of God. ? Cor. iv. 1%. We raise him from the dead.
having the same spirit of faith, according 57, leh, ix. 12. Neither by the blood as it is written, I believed, and therefore of goats and calves, but by his wn blood, have I spoken; we also believe, and therebe entered in once into the holy place, fore speak.
Q. 00. Can they who have never heard the gospel, and so know not Jesus Christ, nor believe in him, be saved by their living according to the light of nature ?
A. They who, having never heard the gospel ", know not Jesus Christ', and believe not in him, cannot be saved P, be they never so diligent to frame their lives according to the light of nature, or the laws of that religion which they profess"; neither is there salvation in any other, but in Christ alone”, who is the Saviour only of his body the church
Q. 61. Are all they saved who hear the gospel, and live in the church ?
A. All that hear the gospel, and live in the visible church, are not saved ; but they only who are true members of the church invisible'.
Q. 62. What is the visible church ?
60. n Rom. x. 14. How then shall they it were by the works of the law: for they call on him in whom they have not be stumbled at that stumbling-stone. Phil. lieved ! and how shall they believe in him iii. 4. Though I might also have confidence of whom they have not heard ? and how in the flesh. If any other man thinketh shall they hear without a preacher ?
that he hath whereof he might trust in o 2 Thess. i. 8. In flaming fire, taking the flesh, I more: Ver. 5. Circumcised the vengeance on them that know not God, eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the and that obey not the gospel of our Lord tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the HeJesus Christ: Ver. 9. Who shall be pun brews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; ished with everlasting destruction from Ver. 6. Concerning zeal, persecuting the the presence of the Lord, and from the church; touching the righteousness which glory of his power. Eph. ii. 12. That at is in the law, blameless. Ver. 7. But what that time ye were without Christ, being things were gain to me, those I counted aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, loss for Christ. Ver. 8. Yea doubtless, and and strangers from the covenants of pro- I count all things but loss for the excel. mise, having no hope, and without God in lency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my the world. John i. 10. He was in the Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of world, and the world was made by him, all things, and do count them but dung, and the world knew him not. Ver. 11. He that I may win Christ, Ver. 9. And be came unto his own, and his own received found in him, not having mine own righniin not. Ver. 12. But as many as received teousness, which is of the law, but that hiin, to them gave he power to become which is through the faith of Christ, the the sons of God, even to them that believe righteousness which is of God by faith. on his name.
s Acts iv. 12. Neither is there salvation P John viii. 24. I said therefore unto in any other: for there is none other name you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if under heaven given among men whereby ye believe inot that I am he, ye shall die in we must be saved. your sins. Mark xvi. 16. He that believeth, Eph. v. 23. For the husband is the head and is baptized, shall be saved; but hé of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the that believeth not shall be damned.
church; and he is the saviour of the body. 41 Cor. i. 20. Where is the wise? where 61. y John xii. 38. That the saying of is the scribe? where is the disputer of this Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, world ? hath not God made foolish the which he spake, Lord, who hath believed wisdom of this world ? Ver. 21. For after our report and to whom hath the arm of that, in the wisdom of God, the world by the Lord been revealed ? Ver. 39. There. wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by fore they could not believe, because that the foolishness of preaching to save them Esaias said again, Ver. 40. IIe hath blindthat believe. Ver. 22. For the Jews require ed their eyes, and hardened their heart: a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: that they should not see with their eyes, Ver. 23. But we preach Christ crucified, nor understand with their heart, and be unto the Jews a stumbling block, and unto converted, and I should heal them. Rom. the Greeks foolishness; Ver. 24. But unto ix. 6. Not as though the word of God hath them which are called, both Jews and taken none effect. For they are not all Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the Israel which are of Israel. 'Mat, xxii. 14, wisdom of God.
For many are called, but few are chosen. r John iv. 22. Ye worship ye know not Mat. vii. 21. Not every one that saith unto what: we know what we worship: for sal. me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingvation is of the Jews. Rom. ix. 31. But dom of heaven; but he that doeth the will Israel, which followed after the law of of my Father which is in heaven. Rom. xi. 7. righteousness, hath not attained to the What then? Israel hath not obtained that law of righteousness. Ver. 32. Wherefore? which he seeketh for: but the election hath Because they sought it not by faith, but as obtained it, and the rest were bliaded.
Epist be saved en am
and places of the world do profess the true religion ", and of their children.
Q. 63. What are the special privileges of the visible church ?
A. The visible church hath the privilege of being under God's special care and governmenty; of being protected and preserved in all ages, notwithstanding the opposition of all enemies z; and of en
62. w 1 Cor. i. 2. Unto the church of God -1 Cor. vii. 14. For the unbelieving hus. which is at Corinth, to them that are band is sanctified by the wife, and the sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be unbelieving wife is sanctified by the hus. saints, with all that in every place call band: else were your children unclean; upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, but now are they holy. Acts ii. 39. For both theirs and ours. 1 Cor. xii. 13. For the promise is unto you, and to your chil. by one Spirit are we all baptized into one dren, and to all that are afar off, even as body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, many as the Lord our God shall call. whether we be bond or free ; and havé Rom. xi. 16. For if the first-fruit be holy. been all made to drink into one Spirit. the lump is also holy; and if the root be Rom. xv. 9. And that the Gentiles might holy, so are the branches. Gen. xvii. 7. glorify God for his mercy; as it is written, And I will establish my covenant between For this cause I will confess to thee among me and thee, and thy seed after thee, in the Gentiles, and sing unto thy name. their generations, for an everlasting coveVer. 10. And again he saith, Rejoice, ye nant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy Gentiles, with his people. Ver. 11. And seed after thee. again, Praise the Lord, all ye Gentiles; 63. y Isa. iv, 5. And the Lord will create and laud him, all ye people. Ver. 12. And upon every dwelling-place of mount Zion, again Esaias saith, There shall be a root and upon her assemblies, a cloud and of Jesse, and he that shall rise to reign smoke by day, and the shining of a flam. over the Gentiles; in him shall the Gen- ing fire by night: for upon all the glory tiles trust. Rev. vii. 9. After this I beheld, shall be a detence. Ver. 6. And there shall and, lo, a great multitude, which no man be a tabernacle for a shadow in the day. could number, of all nations, and kin time from the heat, and for a place of redreds, and people, and tongues, stood be- fuge, and for a covert from storm and fore the throne, and before the Lamb, from rain. 1 Tim. iv. 10. For therefore clothed with white robes, and palms in we both labour and suster reproach, betheir hands. Psal. ii. 8. Ask of me, and I cause we trust in the living God, who is shall give thee the heathen for thine in the Saviour of all men, specially of those heritance, and the uttermost parts of the that believe. earth for thy possession. Psal. xxii. 27. 2 Psal. cxv. 1. Not unto us, O Lord, not All the ends of the world shall remember, unto us, but-Ver. 2. Wherefore should and turn unto the Lord, and all the kin the heathen say, Where is now their God? dreds of the nations shall worship before &c. Ver. 9. O Israel, trust thou in the thee. Ver. 28. For the kingdom is the Lord; he is their help and their shield, &c. Lord's; and he is the governor among the [See the Psalm throughout.] Isa. xxxi. 4. nations. Ver. 29. All they that be fat upon For thus hath the Lord spoken unto me, earth shall eat and worship: all they that Like as the lion and the young lion roar. go down to the dust shall bow before him; ing on his prey, when a multitude of shepand none can keep alive his own soul. herds is called forth against him, he will Ver. 30. A seed shall serve him ; it shall not be afraid of their voice, nor abase be accounted to the Lord for a generation. himself for the noise of them: so shall the Ver. 31. They shall come, and shall de Lord of hosts come down to fight for mount clare his righteousness unto a people that Zion, and for the hill thereof. Ver. 5. As shall be born, that he hath done this. birds flying, so will the Lord of hosts dePsal. xlv. 17. I will make thy name to be fend Jerusalem ; defending also he will remembered in all generations : therefore deliver it; and passing over he will preshall the people praise thee for ever and serve it. Zech. xii. 2. Behold, I will make erer. Mat. xxviii. 19. Go ye therefore, and Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the teach all nations, baptizing them in the people round about, when they shall be in name of the Father, and of the Son, and the siege both against Judah and against of the líoly Ghost ; Ver. 20. Teaching them Jerusalem. Ver. 3. And in that day will to observe all things whatsoever I have I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for commanded you: and, lo, I am with you all people: all that hurden themselves with alway, even unto the end of the world. it shall be cut in pieces, though all the Amen. Isa. lix, 21. As for me, this is my people of the earth be gathered together covenant with them, saith the Lord; My against it. Ver. 4. In that day, saith the Spirit that is upon thee, and my words Lord, I will smite every horse with asto. Which I have put in thy inouth, shall not nishment, and his rider with madness; and depart out of thay moutlı, nor out of the I will open mine eyes upon the house of mouth of thy seei, nor out of the mouth Judah, and will smite every horse of the of thy seed's seed, saith the Lord, from people with blindness. Ver. 8. In that day henceforth and for ever,
shall the Lord defend the inhabitants of
joving the communion of saints, the ordinary means of salvation a, and offers of grace by Christ to all the members of it in the ministry of the gospel, testifying, that whosoever believes in him shall be saved ", and excluding none that will come unto him
Q. 64. What is the invisible church?
A. The invisible church is the whole number of ihe elect, that have been, are, or shall be gathered into one under Christ the head d.
Q. 65. What special benefits do the members of the invisible church enjoy by Christ?
4. The members of the invisible church by Christ enjoy union and communion with him in grace and glory e.
Q. 66. What is that union which the clect have with Christ?
A. The union which the elect have with Christ is the work of God's grace", whereby they are spiritually and mystically, yet really and inseparably, joined to Christ as their head and husband > ; which is done in their effectual calling h.
Jerusalem; and he that is feeble among shall be one fold, and one shepherd. Jobn them at that day shall be as David; and xi. 52. And not for that nation only, but the house of David shall be as God, as the that also he should gather together in one angel of the Lord before them. Ver. 9. the children of God that were scattered And it shall come to pass in that day, that abroad. I will seek to destroy all the nations that 65. e John xvii. 21. That they all may be come against Jerusalem.
one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in a Acts ii. 39. For the promise is unto thee, that they also may be one in us: you, and to your children, and to all that that the world may believe that thou hast are afar off, even as many as the Lord our sent me. Eph. ii. 5. Even when we were God shall call. Ver. 42. And they con. dead in sins, hath quickened us together tinued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine with Christ; (by grace ye are saved ;) Ver. and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, 6. And hath raised us up together, and and in prayers.
made us sit together in heavenly places in b l'sal. cxlvii. 19. IIe showeth his word Christ Jesus. John xvii. 24. Father, I will unto Jacob, his statutes and his judgments that they also whom thou hast given me unto Israel. Ver. 20. He hath not dealt so be with me where I am ; that they may with any nation: and as for his judgments, behold my glory, which thou hast given they have not known them. Praise ye the me: for thou lovedst me before the foun. Lord. Rom. ix. 4. Who are Israelites; to dation of the world. whom pertaineth the adoption, and the 66. f Eph. i. 22. And hath put all things glory, and the covenants, and the giving under his feet, and gave him to be the of the law, and the service of God, and the head over all things to the church. Eph. promises. Eph. iv. ll. And he gave some, ii. 6. And hath raised us up together, and apostles; and some, prophets; and some, made us sit together in heavenly places in evangelists; and some, pastors and teach: Christ Jesus; Ver. 7. That in the ages to ers; Ver. 12. For the perfecting of the come he might show the exceeding riches saints, for the work of the ministry, for of his grace, in his kindness toward us the edifying of the body of Christ. Mark through Christ Jesus. Ver. 8. For by xvi, 15. And he said unto them, Go ye into grace are ye saved through faith; and all the world, and preach the gospel to that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God. every creature. Ver. 16. Ile that believeth, 61 Cor. vi. 17. But he that is joined unto and is baptized, shall be saved; but he the Lord is one spirit. John x. 28. And I that believeth not shall be damned.
give unto them eternal life; and they shall c John vi. 37. All that the Father giveth never perish, neither shall any pluck them me shall come to me: and him that com- out of my hand. Eph. v. 23. For the hus. eth to me I will in no wise cast out.
band is the head of the wife, even as Christ 64. d Eph. i. 10. That, in the dispensation is the head of the church; and he is the of the fulness of times, he might gather saviour of the body. Ver. 30. For we are together in one all things in Christ, both members of his body, of his flesh, and of which are in heaven, and which are on his bones. earth, even in him. Ver. 22. And hath h 1 Pet. v. 10. But the God of all grace, put all things under his feet, and gave who hath called us unto his eternal glory him to be the heart over all things to the by Christ Jesus, after that ye lave sufferchurch, Ver. 23. Which is his body, the ed a while, make you perfect, stablish, fulness of him that filleth all in all. John strengthen, settle you. I Cor. i. 9. God is x. 16. And other sheep I have, which are faithful, by whom ye were called unto the not of this fold: thein also I must bring, fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our and they shall hear my voice; and there Lord
out of my hand of the wife, and he is
and in hana.ither share and the
; he migdensation
Q. 67. What is effectual calling?
4. Effectual calling is the work of God's almighty power and grace', whereby (out of his free and special love to his elect, and from. nothing in them moving him thereunto k) he doth, in his accepted time, invite and draw them to Jesus Christ, by his word and õpirit!; savingly enlightening their minds m, renewing and powerfully determining their wills , so as they (although in themselves dead in sin) are hereby made willing and able freely to answer his call, and to accept and embrace the grace offered and conveyed therein',
what iseritance me, draxcept the vi. 14.' N
to the wonlich he to salvatind belief of the bv our gospel, ta
right hand inad; and set him at hid him Spirit, and benough sanctifications of ou testime not thou thereferly places. 2 Tim. Whereunto he called
67. 1 John v. 25. Verily, verily, I say un. 2. For he saith, I have heard thee in a to you, The hour is coming, and now is, time accepted, and in the day of salvation when the dead shall hear the voice of the have I succoured thee: behold, now is the Son of God; and they that hear shall live. accepted time; behold, now is the day of Eph. i. 18. The eyes of your understanding salvation. John vi. 14. No man can come being enlightened; that ye may know to me, except the Father, which hath sent what is the hope of his calling, and what me, draw him: and I will raise him up at tlie riches of the glory of his inheritance the last day. 2 Thess. ii. 13. But we are in the saints, Ver. 19. And what is the ex. bound to give thanks alway to God for ceedling greatness of his power to lis-ward you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because who believe, according to the working of God hath froin the beginning chosen you his nighty power, Ver. 20. Which he to salvation through sanctitication of the wrought in Christ, when he raised him Spirit, and belief of the truth: Ver. 1. from the dead, and set him at his own Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to right hand in the heavenly places. 2 Tim. the obtaining of the glory of our Lord i. 8. Be not thou therefore ashamed of the Jesus Christ. testimony of our Lord, nor of me hism Acts xxvi. 19 To open their eyes, and prisoner: but be thou partaker of the af. to turn them from darkness to light, and Hictions of the gospel, according to the from the power of Satan unto God, that power of God; Ver. 9. Who hath saved us, they may receive forgiveness of sins, and and called us with an holy calling, not ac- inheritance among them which are sancti. cording to our works, but according to his fied by faith that is in me. 1 Cor. ii. 10. own purpose and grace, which was given But God hath revealed them unto us by us in Christ Jesus before the world his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all began.
things, yea, the deep things of God. Ver. k Tit. iii. 4. But after that the kindness 12. Now we have received, not the spirit and love of God our Saviour towarul man of the world, but the Spirit which is of appeared, Ver. 5. Not by works of rign. God ; that we might know the things that teousness which we have done, but ac. are freely given to us of God. cording to his mercy he saved us, by the n Ezek. xi. 19. I will give them one heart, washing of regeneration, and renewing of and I will put a new spirit within you; the Iloly Ghost. Eph. ii. 4. But God, who and I will take the stony heart out of their is rich in mercy, for his great love where- Hesh, and will give them an heart of flesh. with he loved iis, Ver. 5. Even when we Ezek. xxxvi. 26. A new heart also will I were dead in sins, hath quickened us to- give you, and a new spirit will I put withgether with Christ; (by grace ye a 'e sav. in you; and I will take away the stony ed.) Ver. 7. That in the ages to come he heart out of your tesh, and I will give you might show the exceeding riches of his an heart of tesh. Ver. 27. And I will put grace, in his kindness toward us through my Spirit within you, and cause you to Christ Jesus. Ver. 8. For by grace are ye walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep niy saved, through faith ; and that not of judgments, and do them. John vi. 45. It yourselves : it is the gift of God: Ver. 9. is written in the prophets, And they shall Not of works, lest any man shoull boast. be all taught of God. Every nian there. Rom. ix. 11. For the children eing not fore that hath heard, and hath learned of yet born, neither having done any good the Father, cometh unto me. or evil, that the purpose of God according Eph. ii. 5. Even when we were dead in to election might stand, not of works, but sins, hath quickened us together with of him that calieth.
Christ: (by grace ye are saved.) Phil, ii. 12 Cor. v, 20. Now then we are ambassa. 13. For it is God which worketh in you, dors for Christ, as though God did be- both to will and to do of his good pleasure. seech you by us: we pray you in Christ's Deut. xxx. 6. And the Lord thy God will stead, be ye reconciled to God. Compared circumcise thine heart, and the heart of with 2 Cor. vi. I. We then, as wrkers to thy seed, to love the Lord thy God with all gether with him, beseech ro. also that yo thine heart, and with all thy suul, that receive not the grace of God in vain. Ver. thou mayest live.
pot of works jis the gift of Ghat not op jwallein my statintes ou, and cause will put mon. ix. 11. Post tiny man shoulier.com is written in and do them.' shall keep niy
dors for Christ: we pray you inompared circumcisto love the Lorai illy suul, th