« AnteriorContinuar »
self, my Witness is not true. 31. It is a fearful Thing to fall
into the Hands of the LIVING God. 32. There is another that
Rom. i. 18. For the WRATH of beareth witness of me, and God is revealed from Heaven a. I know that the Witness gainst all UNGODLINESS and UNwhich he witnesseth of me, the Truth in Unrighteousness.
RIGHTEOUSNESS of Men, who hold is true.
2 Cor. v. 10. For we must allap33. Ye fent unto Jobn, pear before the Judgment-seat of and he bare witness unto the Chrift, that every one may receive
the Tings done in his Bopy, acTruth.
cording rothat he hath done, whe34. But I receive not Tef- cher it be good, or bad. timony from Man: but these 11. Knowing therefore the Ter
ror of the LORD, we perswade Men. Things I say, that ye might (e) Heb.ii. 1. Therefore we oughe be SAVED.
to give the more carneit Heed to 35. He was a burning and the Things which we have heard, a shining Light: and ye slir.
lest at any time we Nould let them were willing for a Season to
2. For if the Word spoken by rejoice in his Light.
ANGELS WAS STEDFAST, and every 36. But (e), I have greater ceived a Just Recompence of Re
Transgression and Disobedience reWitness than that of John: ward; for the WORKS which the 3. How shall we escape, if we Father hath given me to fi- negleat for great SALVATION, which
at the first began to be spoken by nish, the same Works that I the Lord, and was confirmed unto do, bear WITNESS of me, us by them that heard him; that the Father hath SENT
4. God also bearing them wit
NESS, both with SIGNs and Wonme,
DERS, and with divers MIRACLES, 37. And the Father him- and Gifts of the Holy Ghost, self which hath sent me, hath according to his own Will,
(f) Psal. xl. 1. Then said I, Lo, born WITNESS of me. Ye i come: In the VOLUME of the have neither heard his Voice Book it is written of me, I delight at any time, nor seen his to do thy Will, O my God.
Heb. i. 1. God, who at sundry Shape.
Times,and in diverse Manners, spake ye
have not his in time past unco the Fathers by the WORD abiding in you : for Prophets, whom he hath sent, him ye unto us by his Son.
2: Hath in these last Days spoken believe not.
Rom. xvi 25. Now to him thac 39. SEARCH (f ) the Scrip- is of Power to stablish you accordtures, for in them ye think ing to my Gospel and the Preach
ing of Jesus Chrifi (3ccording to the ye have ETERNAL LIFE, Revelation of the Mystery, which and they are they which ref- was kept secret since the World betify of me.
26. But is now made manifest, and will not come by the Scriptures of the Prophets, to me, that ye might have according to the COMMANDMENT LIFE.
of the everlasting God, made kouna
to all Nations for the Obedience of 41. I receive not Honour
FAITH) from Men.
42. But I know you, that ye have not the Love of God
43: I am come in my Father's Name, and ye receive me not: If another shall come in his own Name, him ye will receive.
44. How can ye BELIEVE, which receive Honour one of another, and seek not the HONOUR which cometh from God only? 45. Do not think that I
(8) Heb. xii. 25. See that ye RE. will accuse you to the Fa- fuse not him that speakcth : for ther : there is one that Ac- if they escaped not who refused CUSETH you, even Moses, in thall not we escape, if we turn
him that spake on Earth, much more whom ye trust.
AWAY from him that speaketh from 46. For ($) had ye be- Heaven.
Luke xvi. 29. Abrahan faith unlieved Mofes, ye would have believed me: ' for he wrote Prophets ; let them hear them.
to him, They have Moses and the
30. And he said, Nay, Father
Abraham: but if one went unto believe not ye
them from the DEAD, they will his WRITINGS, how fall
ye believe my WORDS ?
31. And he said unto him, If they
hear not Moses and the PROPHETS, neither will they be perswaded, though one rose from the Dead.
2 Pet. i. 19. We have also a mure sure Word of PROPHECY ; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a Light that (hineth in a dark Place, until the DAY DAWN, and the DAY-STAR arise in your Hearts :
20. Knowing this first, that no PROTHEcy of the Scripture is of any PRIVATE Interpretation.
21. For the Prophecy came not in olv Time by the Will of Man: but holy Men of God (pake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
47. But if
JOHN VI. 1. Chrift feedeth five thorfend. 19. Walks upon the sea,
and commands the Winds and the Waves to be fiill. Many cre healed by the Touch of his Garment. 26. He reproveth the fiefoly Hearers of his Word. 32. And
declareth himself to be the Bread of Life. Ver.1. Hof Galilee, which is the Sea of Tiberias.
Sea 2. And a great Multitude followed him, because they faw his Miracles which he did on them that were diseased.
3. And Jesus went up into a Mountain, and there he fat with his Disciples.
4. And the Passover, a Feast of the Jews, was nigh.
5. When Jesus then lift up his Eyes, and saw a great Company come unto him, he faith unto Philip, Whence Shall we buy Bread that these may eat?
6. (And this he said to prove him : for he himself knew what he would do
7. Philip answered him, Two hundred Penny-worth of Bread is not sufficient for them, that every one of them may take a little.
8. One of his Disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter's Brother, faith unto him,
9. There is a Lad here, which hath five Barley Loaves, and two small Files: but what are they among so many?
10. And Jesus said, Make the Men fit down. Now there was much Grass in the Place. So the Men sat down, in number about FIVE THOUSAND.
11. And Jesus took the Loaves, and when he had given THANKS, he distributed to the Disciples, and the Disciples to them that were set down; and likewise of the Fishes, as much as they would.
12. When they were filled, he said unto his Disciples, Gather up the Fragments that remain, that nothing beloft.
13. Therefore they gathered them together, and filled twelve Baskets with the Fragments of the five Barley Loaves, which remained over and above, unto them that had eaten.
14. Then those Men, when they had seen the Miracle that Jesus did, said, This is of a Truth that PROPHET that should come into the World.
15. When Jesus therefore perceived that they would come and take him by force, to make him a King, he departed again into a Mountain by himself alone. • Matt. xiv. 22. And straightway Fesus constrained his Disciples to get into a Ship, and to go before him unto the other Side, while he sent the Multitudes away.
23. And when he had sent the Multitudes away, he went up into a Mountain apart to pray : and when the Evening was come, he was there alone.
24. But (a) the Ship was (a) Psal. cvii. 23. They that go now in the midst of the Sea, down to the Sea in Ships : toffed with Waves : for the Lord, and his Wonders in the
24. These see the Works of the Wind was contrary.
Deep. 25. And in the fourth Watch 25. For he commandeth, and raila
WIND, of the Night, Jefus went unto eth the stormy Wind, which lift
Waves thein, WALKING on the Sea. 26. Their Soul is melted because
26. And when the Disci- of Trouble: they aie at their Wits ples saw him WALKING on
28. Then they cry unto the Lord the
the Sea, they were troubled, in their Trouble, and he bringeth faying, It is a Spirit; and them out of their Diltreffes.
29. He makech the STORM a they CRIED out for Fear.
Calm, so that the Waves thereof 27. But straightway Jesus are still. fpake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer, It is' I, be not afraid.
28. And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the Water.
29. And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the Ship, he WALKED on the WATER, to go to Jesus.
30. But when he saw the Wind boisterous, he was APRAID : and beginning to fink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.
31. And immediately Fefus ftretched forth his Hand, and caught him, and said unto him, Othou of little FAITH, wherefore didft thou doubt?
32. And when they were come into the Ship, the Wind ceased.
33. Then they that were in the Ship, came and worSHIPPED him, saying, Of a Truth thou art the Son of God.
34. And when they were gone over, they came into the Land of Gennefaret.
35. And when the Men of that Place had Knowledge of him, they fent out into all that Country round about, and brought unto him all that were DISEASED,
36. And befought him, that they might only touch the Hem of his Garment: and as many as touched were made perfectly whole.
John vi. 16. And when Even was now coine, his Difciples went down unto the Sea,
17. And entred into a Ship, and went over the Sea towards Capernaum : and it was now dark, and Jesus was not come to them.
18. And the Sea arose, by reason of a great Wind that blew.
19. So when they had rowed about five and twenty, or thirty Furlongs, they fee Jesus walking on the Sea, and drawing nigh unto the Ship: and they were afraid.
20. But he faith unto them, It is I, be not afraid.
21. Then they willingly received him into the Ship: and immediately the Ship was at the Land whither they
22. The Day following, when the People which stood on the oiher side of the Sea, saw that there was none other
Boat there, save that one whereinto his Disciples were entred, and that Jesus went not with his Disciples into the Boat, but that his Disciples were gone away alone :
23. (Howbeit, there came other Boats from Tiberias, nigh unto the place where they did eat Bread, after that the Lord had given Thanks)
24. When the People therefore saw that Jesus was not there, neither his Disciples, they also took Shipping, and came to Capernaum, seeking for Jesus.
25. And when they had found him on the other fide of the Sea, they said unto him, Rabbi, when cameft thou bither?
The People that were so miraculously fed, following
CHRIST, are instructed not to labour only for the Meat that perisheth; but chiefly for that spiritual Food of Divine Grace, which is compared to the Manna with which the Israelites were for forty Tears fubfifted in the Wilderness.
26. Jefus answered them and said, Verily, verily I say unto you, ye seek me, not because ye saw the Miracles but because ye did Eat of the Loaves, and were filled.
27. LABOUR not for the Meat which perisheth, but for that Meat which endureth unto EVERLASTING LIFE, which the Son of Man shall give unto you : for him hath God the Father fealed.
28. Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the Works of God?
29. Fesus answered and said unto them, This is the Work of God, that
BELIEVE on him whom he hath fent.
30. They said therefore unto him, What Sign Shewest thou then, that we may fee and BELIEVE thee? What doft thou work ?
31. Our Fathers did eat Manna in the Desert; as it is written, He gave them Bread
(a) Deut. viii. 2. And thou shalt from Heaven to eat.
remember all the way which the 32. Then (a) Jesus said Lord thy God led thee these forty unto them, Verily, verily 1 Years in the Wilderness, 10 HUMBLE
thee, and to PROVE thee, to know say unto you, Moses gave you what was in thine Heart, whether
not Sce Page 49. of the Power of FAITH.