« AnteriorContinuar »
168. Money brings honor, friends, conquest and realms ;
Therefore, if at great things thou wouldst arrive,
While virtue, valor, wisdom, sit in want.
169. Honor thy father and thy mother. Exodus—Ch. 20, Ver. 12—The fifth Commandment. Bible.
Cain or SATAN.
170. Well done, thou good and faithful servant : thou hast been
faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over
many things. Matthew—Ch. 25, Ver. 21.
BIBLE. A MANLY KNIGHT.
Finds the down pillow hard.
SHAKSPEARE. A MEADOW or A MESH.
-Much had he read,
And in th' original perused mankind.
173. Hortensio. Tell me now, sweet friend, what happy gale
Blows you to Padua here, from old Verona.
Where small experience grows.
The better reason.
175. I wasted time, and now doth time waste me. King Richard 2nd Act 5, Sc. 5.
SHAKSPEARE. WAITING in ILL-WILL.
176. Sorrow breaks seasons, and reposing hours,
Makes the night morning, and the noontide night.
177. We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are
created equal ; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights ; that among these, are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That, to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed ; that, when any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to
alter or to abolish it. Declaration of Independence.
-Time is like a fashionable host,
Remuneration for the thing it was.
SHAKSPEARE. A NEW GEM at HOME.
179. We may blow our nails together, and fast it fairly out;
our cake's dough on both sides. Taming of the Shrew— Act 1, Sc. 1. SHAKSPEARE.
-There's no art,
182. When ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt nort
wholly reap the corners of thy field, neither shalt thou
gather the gleanings of thy harvest. Leviticus-Ch. 19, Ver. 9.
BIBLE. A WILD POPPY.
183. Unto a stranger thou mayest lend upon usury; but unto
thy brother thou shalt not lend upon usury. Deuteronomy-Ch. 23, Ver. 20.
BIBLE. Tin Mines.
184. Heat not a furnace for your foe so hot,
That it do singe yourself. King Henry 8th-Act 1, Sc. 1.
185. But ere these matchless heights I dare to scan,
There is a spot should not be pass'd in vain,
Themselves their monument; the Stygian coast Unsepulchred they roam'd, and shriek'd each wandering ghost.
While Waterloo with Canna's carnage vies,
All unbought champions in no princely cause
Doom'd to bewail the blasphemy of laws
186. O, that men should put an enemy in their mouths, to steal
away their brains. Othello Act 2, Sc. 3.
SHAKSPEARE. MAKE an ENEMY.
187. Smooth runs the water where the brook is deep;
And in his simple show he harbors treason.
The fox barks not when he would steal the lamb. King Henry 6th, Second Part-Act 3, Sc. 1. SHAKSPEARE.
188. None but the brave deserve the fair.
-Meet it is, I set it down, That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain. Hamlet-Act 1, Sc. 5.
SHAKSPEARE. An IDOL.
190. Energy of will is the soul of the intellect; wherever it
is, there is life; where it is not, all is dullness, and despondency, and desolation. It is the great principle, the spring that sets the whole machinery in movement; the antagonist of Time, acted upon by him as a wheel is by a stream, only to be set at work, and so to achieve great ends, where the feebleness of an ordinary mind would have been swept away and carried downwards to perdition. In morals and in intellect, nothing is impossible to it. This energy of purpose, is the one great talent; other powers there are, but their office is chiefly
to regulate our progression, or at most to accelerate it. Self-formation.
191. And such they are--and such they will be found.
Not so Leonidas and Washington,
Which breathes of nations saved, not worlds undone.
While the mere victors may appall or stun
- What I most prize in woman
Feeding its flame.
193. An idler is a watch that wants both hands;
As useless if it goes as when it stands.
Bolingbroke ; afterwards King Henry 4th. 194. Myself—a prince, by fortune of my birth;
Near to the king in blood, and near in love ;