« AnteriorContinuar »
5; And ye know that he was 1 manifested to k take away our sins; and in him is 1 no sin. 6. Whosoever abideth in him, sinneth not: m whosoever sinneth, hath not seen him, neither known him. 7. Little children, let no man n deceive you: He that 0 doth righteousness, i righteous, even as he is righteous: 8. He that p conk mitteth sin, is of the devil: for the devil sinneth from tb beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was maniief ed, that he might q destroy the works of the devil, j Whosoever is Ci) born of God, * doth not commit sin; ft his * feed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, becaule he: born of God. 13. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: Whosoever ddth not rigb teousnefs, is not of God, " neither he that loveth a
y. 5 V 1 Joh. 1.1. See on Joh; 7. n t1 Joh.2.i6*. j. 14. 0 V Rom. 2. 13. V J Joh. J
. k tW<> J J - t 1 Tim. 1. 29. See on 1 Thes. 4. 7.
15. See on Joh. 1. 20. and on 4 8. p f Joh. 8. 44. See on Mis Cor. j. 4i. $ 13- 3«
1 See on 2 Cor. 5.11. 1 See on Joh. 12.31.
6. m t 1 Joh. 2. 4. He that faith 9. ' t 1 Joh. j; 18. We knot I know him, and keepeth not his that whosoever is born of Go Commandments, is a Liar, and the sinneth not.— Truth is not in him. j ijoh. 4.10 8 t > Pet- 23. 8. Hethat loveth not, knoweth not 4. 12. God. t 3 Joh. ver. 11. —Hethat 10. u t 1 Joh. 4. doth good, is of God: but he that 13.34. doth evil, hath not seen God.
(1) By being torn os God,\s meant, the having the Heart «ndS renewed and changed, the whole Stream of the Affections turned fi the Love and Practice of Sin, to the Love and Obedience of God. •) not finning, Ver. 6. and by nut committing sin here, is not meant, ever) deviation or going beside the Law, but the wilful Transgression or Re\SH of the Law it self the living and continuing in a Course of wilful iw habitual Sin. A good Man, one who is in a good Degree born of Got through the Violence of Temptation, through surprize, or want of Ca» sideration,may be overtaken with a Fault; but this notwithstanding,fret is the inward Disposition of his Soul, such the Temper of his Mind, that" hates and abhors Sin, and he cannot entertain the Thoughts of cemœ' ting it without the utmost Detestation and Horror. And if ar any oal he commits a single Act of Sin, he judges and condemns himself fos < and bitterly repents of it, as David and St. Peter did, and with great Dili gence and Application watches against it for the future. He canrntS^ that is, he cannot without great Difficulty be brought to love and deligW in it, he cannot sin without great Trouble and Uneasiness to himfe" it being directly contrary to that State in which he is. Sec mere >! Dr. Whitbys Notes on i Joh. 3. 8,9.
brother. 11. For this is the * message [X)r, command* it] that ye heard * from the beginning, that we should; ove one another. 12. Not as c Gain, who was of that :ked one, and flew his brother: And wherefore stew him? Because his own works were evil, and his broirs righteous. 13. Marvel not, my brethren, if the rid d hate you. 14. We know that we have passed m death unto life, because we e love the brethren:
that loveth not his brother, abideth in death. 15. holbever f hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye ow that * no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him. . Hereby perceive we the b love of God, because he d down his life for us: and we ought to.1 lay down
lives for the brethren. 17. But whoso hath this rids good, and feeth his brother k have need, and ihuth up his bowels of corns affion from him, how dwelleth : love of God in him? 18. My little children,. l let us t love in word, neither in tongue, but in deed and in ith. 19. And hereby we know m that we are of the
n. * f 1 Joh. -• 7- See on 1 B t Gal. 5. jr. Sec on 1 Cor.
1.1.5. 6". 9.
1 f Ver. 13. tjoh. 15. 12. 16. h f Joh. 3. i6\ f Rom. y„ :onjoh. 13. 34. 8. f Eph. y. 2. f 1 Joh. 4. 9. See iJ. c t Gen. 4 8— It came to 5 on Joh iy. 13. "s when they were in the Field, 'See on 2 Tim. 4. 6. tC«;»rose up against Abel his 17. k t Dent. iy.7. t ijoh. 4. 3ther,and flew him. Y Jude 20. See on Luk. 3. 11. r. 11. Wo unto them, for they 18. 'V Ezek. 33. Ji.— With it gone in the Way of Cain, and iotheir-MoftfÆ they shew much love, but 1 greedily after the Error of Ba- their Heart goeth after their Corn for Reward.— vetoufness. '.' Rom. 12. 9. Lee ■3- d Prov. 29. 27. An unjust Love be without D!simulation. — . » is an Abomination to the Just: '.' Eph. 4. 1 y. Speaking the Truth i he that is upright in the Way,iy [or, being sincere] in Love.— tjam. hmination to the Wicked, t Joh. 2. 15,16. If a Brother or Sister be
• 18. See on Ver. 1. naked, and destitute of daily Food,—' '4- e t 1 Job. 2. 9,10,11. See notwithstanding ye give them not Joh. 13. 34. those things which are needful t» the
• 5. f t Mat. y. 2 r, 22. Ye have 10Body; what doth it prosit? 1 Pet. srd that it was said by them of 1. 22. Seeing ye have purified 1 time, thou shalt not kill.— But your Souls in obeying the Truth: ay unto you, That whosoever is through the Spirit, unto unfeigned Vy with his Brother mitlwut a cause, Ltve of the .Brethren.—
'" be in danger of the Judg-?, 19. m f J0"- 18. 37.— Every :nt.— y 1 Joh. 4. 20. If a Man one that isoftbeTsutk heareth my .1 love God, »nd hateth bis Br»- Voice. V ijoh. 1.8. If we fay f) he is a Liar.— that truth, and shall * assure [Gr. per/wade-] our hearts before him. 20. For if our heart condemn us, n God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things. 21. Beloved, (0 if our heart condemn us not, 0 then have we cori-' dence towards God. 22. And whatsoever we p ask, wej receive of him, because we keep his commandments, anfl q do those things that are pleasing in his sight. 23. Aul this is his commandment, that we should r believe on the] name of his Son Jesus Christ, and 1 love one another, m he gave us commandment. 24. And he that u keepedj
that we have. no Sin, we deceive Bodies washed with pure Watai our selves, and the Truth is not 1J0I1. 2.28. Little Children,abide in us. in him; that when hejhallaftiirl
20. n V 1 Cor. 4.4.1 know no- we may have confidence, and not be thing by my self, yet ami not j alhamed before him at his coming, hereby justified: but he tfyat judg- \ 1 joh. 4. 17. Herein is our love tth me is the Lord. made perfect, that we may hiffi
21. 0 Job 11. 1*. [If thou put boldness in the Day of'Judgment — Iniquity far away] then shalt thou 22. p t Mat. 21.22. f Joh. if lift up thy Face without spot, yea, j0 13. tjoh. 15.7. t J°h. 16, i], thou shalt be stedfast, and male not tjam. 5. 16. t ijoh. 5. 14. Set fear. '.'Job 22. 26. [If thou re- on Mat. 7. 7. and on Joh. 9. 31. turntoGodJ then shalt thou have 4 '.' Joh. 8. 29. He that senr nit thy delight in the Almighty, and is with me: the Father hathnol thou flialt lift up thy Face unto God. j , left me alone: for I- dt always Luk. 21. 36. Watch ye therefore, those things that please him.
and pray always,that ye may be '27. r f Joh. 6.29. See on Joh. accounted worthy to escape all 3. 16. and on Joh. 17. 3. these things that shall come to pass, s t Ver. n. V 1 Joh. j. io.( and to stand before the Son of Man. f I Joh. 4. 21. See on Joh.t Heb. 10. 22. Let us draw near 13. 34.
with a true Heart, in full assurance of 24. " Joh. 1 J. 10. See on Johv Faith, having our Heart sprinkled 14. ry.' from an evil Conscience, and our
(1) By Heart here, is meant the Mind and Conscience. The Seiu\ therefore of this Place is, If our Consciences, not being seared and baldened by Sin, and being rightly inform'd of the Nature and Extent of our Duty, and after a thorough Examination, by comparing our Actiool with the Rule of our Duty, right Reason, and the holy Scriptures, shall Jc quit us, and give Testimony that we have sincerely endeavoured to serve and please God, and to approve our selves in his sighr, then n»J[' we have an humble Confidence towards God, that he will hear and accept us: But if we have wilfully n gleBed to inform our Consciences, or if bj sinning against God, we have laid them afleq, or lived witbiut Examiittti0i our hope and confidence of being accep:ed by him is deceitful, vain, in* presumptuous. Then only have we a ncfonable Hope cf receiving *'hJt we ask of God, when we keep his Commandments, and do those ta:n£ w hich are pleasing in his sight. Ver. 21.
is commandments, *■ dwelleth in him, and he in him: id b hereby we know that he abidethin us, by the Spirit: hich he hath given us.
C H A P. IV.
1ELOVED, * believe not every spirit, butb try the J spirits whether they are of God: because ° many lse prophets are gone out into the world. 2. Hereby Iow ye the Spirit of God: d Every spirit that confesseth at Jesus Christ is come in the flesh, is of God. 3. And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come
the flesh, is not of God: and this is that spirit of antiirist, whereof you have heard that it mould come, and even now already is it in the world. .4. E Ye are of God, tie children, and have overcome them: because greater
he that is in you, than h he that is in the world.
i They are of the world: therefore speak'they of e world, and k the world heareth them. - 6. We are
God: he that1 knoweth God, heareth us; he that is
a V Joh. 17.a,&c. Thatthey f + a Thes.2.7. The Mystery of I
I may be one, as thou, Father, niquity doth already work.— \ ijoh. tin me, and I in thee; that they a. 18, 22.— Even »»» are there ro may be one in as: that the many Antichrists.--r .He is Anti'orld may believe that thou hast 5 thrift that denieth the. Father and it me. the Son. . • , ,
b + 1 Joh. 4. 13. See on Rom. 4. s 1 Joh. 2.13. — I write unto
9. you, little Children, because ye
C HAP. IV. have known the Father. 1 Joh. 3.
1. * fjer. 20.8. §ee onMat, 10 i» 9- Behold, what manner of . 4. -r Love the Father hath bestowed up
b 1 Cor. 12. 8, 10. To one is on us, that we should be called ven by the Spirit the Word of the Sons of God.— Whosoever is isdom.— To another discerning born of God, doth not commit Sin. Spirits.— 1 Cor. 14. 29. Let the 1 j — 1 Joh. j. 4. Whatsoever is ephets speajc two or three, and born of God, overcometh the t the other judge. f 1 Thes. 5. World.— . t Rev- 22- See on 1 Cor. h t 1 Cor. 2, 12. \ Eph. a. a,
15. t Eph. 6. iz. See on Joh. 12.
c f Mat. 24. 5, 24. V 1 Tim. 1U3I
1. f 2 Joh. ver. 7. See on 2 y. ' fjoh. 3. 31. — He that is»/ :t. a. 1. the Earth, is earthly, and fpeakethof
2. d f 1 Cor 12. 3.— No Man the Earth: he that cometh from Q fay that Jesus -is the Lord, but Heaven is above all.
r the holy Ghost, j * Joh.,- k tjoh. 17. 14. See on Joh.'
*- . •, • ■ * iy- '9;
3 e r 2 Joh.vsF.7., See on 1 J,oh. 6. 't Joh. 8.47, Hethatiso/ 13. . .- j God, not Of God, heareth not us. '.Hereby know we the Spirit of truth, and the spirit of error. 7. Beloved, let us *" love one another: for love is of God j and every one that loveth, is born of God, and knoweth "God. 8. He that loveth not, n knoweth not God 5 for- 0 God is love. 9. In this was manifested the p love of God towards us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. 10.: Herein is love, q not that we loved God, but that, he loved us, and lent his Son to be the 1 propitiation for our fins. 11. Beloved, s if God lo loved us, we ought also tp love one another. 12. No man hath " seen God at any time. If we" love one another, God dwelleth in us, and a his love is perfected in us. -13. Hereby know we that we 6 dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit. 14. And we have c seen and do testifie, that the Father sent the Son so be the d Saviour of the world. 15. Whosoever shall confess e that Jesus is the Son of God, Gd dwelleth in him, and he in God. 16. And we have
God, heareth Cods Words: ye there- chosen me, but I hare chosen foiehear them not ; because ye are you.— t Rom. 5.8, 10. God eramt of God. | Jori. IO- a7- My Sheep mendtth his low towards us, in that hear my Voice, and I know them, while we were yet Sinners, Christ diand they follow me. f t Cor. 14. 5 ed For us. When we were cjimitt, 37-If any Man think himself to 'we were reconciled to God by tie be a Prophet, or spiritual, let him Death of his Son.— acknowledge that the things that I 't i Joh. 2. 2. See on Romwrite unto you, are the Command- 3. 35.
mentsofthe Lord, f* Cor. 10.10 11. s + Mat. 18. 33. Shouldeir 7. —If any Man'trust to himself, not thou also have had Companion that he // Christ's, let him of him- on thy Fellow-servant, even i< I self think this again, that as he is bad Pity on thee? See on Job. Christs, even so are we Chriffs. 13. 34.
1 t Isa. 8.20. To the Law, and 5 5 u. "f 1 Tim. 6. 16. See M to the Testimony: if they speak Joh. t. 18. not according to this Word, it is be- 1 ".' Ver. 18. f 1 Joh. 3-fcause there is no Light in them. Whoso keepeth his Word, in him V Joh. 14. 7. If ye had known me, verily is the Love of GodpcrfeSti— ye sliould have known my Fa- 1Q 13. b Joh. 14. 20. At that D>y ther also.— ye lhall know, that I am in my
7. m V 1 Joh. 3.10,11,33.See on Father, and you in me, and //»/* Joh. 13.34 t I. Joh. 3. 24. See on Ron.
8. " si Joh. 2. 4. Seeonijoh.. 8.9.
3- 6-, ■ ■ ,c 14. c t 1 Joh. 1. i. See on»
"fVer.io-. ??Pet ,.16.
. 9- v tjoh. 3. 16. f 1 Joh. 3. . d See on 1 Toh. a. 2. 16. See on Joh. iy. I'j.i ■ if;a See on Mas 16. 16.
i«. q tjoh. if. 16. Ve have not