« AnteriorContinuar »
18. We know that whosoever is 1 born of God finneth not, but he that is begotten of God, k keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. 19. Ar.i we know that we are of God, and the whole world 1 lieth in wickedness. 20. And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath m given us an understanding that we may n know him that is true: and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. 0 This is the true God, and p eternal life. 21. Little children, q keep your selves from idols. Amen.
After the Year of our Lord 90.
HE* Elder unto the b elect lady, and her children, whom 1 love c in the truth j and not I on
18.1 V 1 Pet. 1. 23. V 1 Joh. 3. for ever. Amen, f 1 Tim. 3.16. 9. See on Joh. 3. 3, 5. —God was manifest in the Fleft. —
k '.'Jam. 1. 97. See on Joh. t Tit. a. 13. Looking for that b!es17. 1 j. fed Hope, and the glorious appear*
19.1 See on Joh. ia.31. 5 ing of thegreat God, and our Sa W
20. '» + Luk. 24.45:. Then open- our Jesus Christ, tdhe their Understanding, that they p '-' Ver. ir, ia, 13. might understand the Scriptures. ax. q See on 1 Cor. 10.14.
n See on Joh. 17. 3. 2 J O H N.
0 t Isa- 9- <S- Unto us a Child 10 I. * See on 1 Tim. 5. 1. is born, unto us a Son is given, . '* 1 Pet. 5.13. The Church that and the Government shall be upon is at Babylon defied together with his Shoulder: and his Name shall you, saluttth you.— be called Wonderful, Counsellor, - e Gal. 5 ,7. —Who did hinder The mighty God, The everlasting Fa- 1 j you, that ye should not obey the ther, The Prince of Peace, t Isa. Truth} Eph. 1. 13. In whom ye 44. 6.. Thus faith the Lord, the also trusted after that ye heard the King of Israel, and his Redeemer the Word of Truth, the Gospel of your Lord of Hosts, I am the first, and I am Salvation.— 2 Thes. 2. 13—God the last,and besides me there is no 20 hath from the beginning chosen Gcd. ,+ Isa. 54. 5. Thy Maker is you to Salvation, through Sanctifr thine Husband (the Lord of Hosts carion of the Spirit, and belief of is his Name) andI, thy Rcdamer the the Truth. 1 Tim. 1.4. Who will holy One cfIsrael, the God ofthe whole have all M?n to be saved, and to Earth stall he be called. tj°h. 20. 2J come to the Knowledge of tit 28. Thomas answered and laid un- Truth. Heb. io, id. If we sin wilto him, My Lcr</,and my God. f Rom. fully after that we have received 9. 5'. - Who is over al), God bhfsed' tb!
y, but also all they that have known the truth; 2. ?or the truths lake which dwelleth in us, and shall be irith us for ever: 3. d Grace * be s_Gr. shall be] with 'ou, mercy and peace from God the Father, and from he Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth md love. 4. I rejoiced greatly that I found of thy chil-> lren e walking in truth, as we have received a comnandment from the Father. 5. And now, I beleechthee, ady, f not as though I wrote a new commandment un
0 thee, but that which we had from the beginning, hat we * love one another. 6. And this is h love, that ve walk after his commandments. This is the commandnent, that as ye have ' heard from the beginning, ye hould walk in it. 7. For many k deceivers are entred nto the world, who 1 confess not that Jesus Christ is :ome in the flesti. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.
1 Look to your selves that we m lose not those things vhich we have (1) wrought, but that we receive a full eward. 9. Whosoever transgrelseth, and n abideth not n the doctrine of Christ, hath not God: he that abideth
he Knowledge of the Truth.— * tJoh. Ij. i». t Eph. y. a.
[am. 1. 18. Of his own Will begat t i Pet. 4. 8. f 1 Joh. 3. 23. See
leus with the Word of Truth.— on Joh. 13. 34.
Him. y. 19. Brethren, if any of 6". h fjoh. 15. 10. f ijoh. y.
,ou do err from the Truth, and one J3-. See on Joh. 14. iy.
onverthim. 1 Pet. 1. 22. Seeing 1 t 1 Joh. 2. 24. Let that there
fe have purified your Souls in 0- fore abide in you, which ye have
>eytng the Truth through the Spi- heard from the beginning,—■
it.— JfcPet. 1. 12. I will not be 7- t 1 Joh. 4. x. See on *
legligent to put you always in re. 10Pet. 2. 1.
nernbrance of these things, tho' 1 t ijoh.4. 2, 3. See on 1 Joh. eknow them, and be establistied 2. 22.
n the present Truth. 2 Per. 2. 2. 8. ln f Gal. 3. 4. Have ye sufferWany shall follow their pernicious td so many things in vain? if it •Vays, by reason of whom the Way 15 be yet in vain, f Heb. 10. 31. f Truth shall be evil spoken of. Call to remembrance the former Ver. 3. t 3 Joh. verses 1, 3, 8. Days, in which after ye were illushe Gospel is called theTruth in di- minated, ye endured a great fight if rers- other Places. See on Gal. JffliBions.
. 5. 20 9. n t ijoh. 2.23. Whosoever
3. d See on Rom. 1. 7. denieth the Son, the fame hath not
4. ' t 3 Joh, ver. 3. the Father: [but] he that ac
5. f f 1 Ten. 2.7,8. t 1 Joh. 3. knowledgeth the Son, hath the Fa1. See on Joh 13.34. ther also.
(1) t Or, gained. So;ne Copies read, which ye h»vt gained, but
bit ye receive, 8c c.
in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father au4
the Son. 10. If there come any unto you, and bring not
this doctrine, receive him not into your house, ° neither bis
him God speed. 11. For he that biddeth him God sped
is partaker of his evil deeds. 12. p Having many thina
to write unto you,,! would not write with paper and ink
tut 1 trust to come unto you, and lpeak * face to faj
£Gr. mouth to moutb~]t q that * our s_Or, your'} joy maj
tie lull. 13. The children of thy elect sister grej
After the Year of our Lord 90.
'HE* elder unto the well-beloved Gaius, b whi]
I love * in the truth s_Or, truly]. 2. Beloved
* wish, s_Or, pray] above all things that thou mayst sper, and be in health, even as thy foul prospcreth. For I rejoiced greatly when the brethren came and I stiEed of the-truth that is in thee, even as thou c war est in the truth. 4. I have no greater d joy than to hi that,' my children walk in truth. 5. Beloved, t| dost f faithfully whatsoever thou.dost to the brethtj aud to :strangers. 6. Which have born witness of I charity before the church: whom if thou bring for pn their journey * after a godly fort s_Gr. worthy of 6'ij thou'shalt do well: '.7. Because that for his names sal they .went forth,taking nothing of the Gentiles. 8therefore ought to receive such, that we might be ■ • \ •.'•■''• ■.'''' let
bw-helpers to the truth. 9. I wrote unto the church: mt Diotrephes, who loveth to have the pre-eminence ■hong them, receiveth us not. 10. Wherefore if I come, kvil] remember his deeds which he doth, prating against us ■th malicious words: and not content therewith, neither ■th he himielf receive the brethren, and forbiddeth Bern that would, and casteth them out of the church. I. Beloved, e follow not that which is evil, but that finch is good. h He that doth good, is of God: but fie that doth evil, hath not seen God. 12. Demetrius jath good report of all men, aud of the truth it self: and we also bear record, and ye know that our re* is true. 13. I had k many things to write, but ill not with ink and pen write unto thee: 14. But I trust iall sliortly fee thee, t and we shall speak face to face. >ace be to thee. Our friends salute thee. Greet. the fends by name. •■ ,
About the Year of cur Lord 66.
UDE the servant of Jesus Christ, and * brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the FaRr, and * preserved in Jesus Christ, and called: 2. EMercy unto you, and peace, and love be multiplied, i Beloved, when 1 gave all diligence to write unto you the d common salvation, it was needful for me to
|i. * f Psil- 17-27- t Isa. 1. // true.
t 1 Pet. 3.11. See on Rom. Ij. k + 2 Joh. ver. 11. 9. JUDE. 't i'J"h. 3. 6, 9. Whosoever 1. a + Luk. 6. 16. Judas the 'deth in him sinneth not: whoso- f Brother of Jttmet.— t Acts 1.13.— tftr Cmntthhath not seen him, nei- They went into an Upper-Room, per -known him. Whosoever is where abode Peter, —and Judat frn ofGod doth not commit Sin ; for the Brother of James. See the Note f Seed remaineth in him: and on Mat. 10. 3* : cannot sin, because he is torn of10 b t Joh. 17. 11, 12. f 1 Pet. 1, «. 5. See on Joh. 10. 28.
fen. ' '.. Joh. si. 24. This is the 2. c See on Rom. 1. 7. Ifsciple which testifieth of these 3. d V Tit. 1.4. To Titus mlns pings and wrote these things: own son after the common Faith. Ind we know that his Testimony 15 •
write unto you, and exhort you that ye should e earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered no* to the laints. 4. For there are certain men f crept idj unawares, * who were before of (1) old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, h turning the grace of our God into laicivioufness, and 'denying the only Lord, God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. 5. I will there "ore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, k ho» that the Lord "having saved the people out of the hsM of Egypt, afterward 1 destroyed them that believed noa €. And the m awgels which kept not their * first estaM s_Or, yri?icipality~\, but left their own habitation, he harh. n reserved in everlasting chains under darkness, 0 unto the judgment of the great day. 7. Even as * Sodom and
* f Phil. r. 17.— That ye stand 9. si. fast in one Spirit, with sne Mind, h f 2 Pet. a. 19. While striving together for the Faith of the promise them liberty, they themCesfel. t 1 Tim. 1. 18. Th'iscbarge ielves are the Servants of OI commit unto thee, Ton Timothy, ^ruption:—
according to the Prophecies which '|Tit. 1.16". f 2 Pet. 1. i.St| went before of thee, tuat thou by on 1 Tim. s. 8. them mightft War a good Warfare. 5.rk See on 1 Cor. 10.9. t 1 Tim. 6. 12. Fight the good 1 + Numb. 14. 37. f Numb Fight of Faith, lay hold on eternal 10 6"4, f Heb. 2. Life.— f 2 Tim. 4. 7. I have Cor. 10. 5:. fought a gocA Fight. \ have finished 6. » tjoh. 8. 44 my Course, I have kept the Faith. .—abode not in tile Truth.-<
4. f Gal. 2.4. Because of false n t 2 Pet. 2. 4. See on Luk. I Brethren unawares brought in. — 1531. Also the Note on 2 Pet. :.f V 2 Pet. 2. 1. There were false 0 V Rev. 20. io. The Devil Prophets also ampng the People, that deceived them, ■wtstaft even as there shall befalse Teachers the Lake of Fire and Brimstone — among you.— 7. p See on Luk. 17. 29
8 f 1 Pet. 2. 8. See on Rom. 20
(1) The proper rendering of the Greek here, is nor, -who were ofoli* daintd to this Condemnation, but, of whom it was before written, or, fofk sied, that this mould be their Condemnation, or, Punishment. The OpiniM therefore of those who think, that God has ordained the much greml Vivt of Mankind to destruction, even before they had a Being, can receifl| no Confirmation from this Place. This Notion ii, so contrary totliefeness, Goodness, and Justice cf God, that a Man cannot think of it wiitw* horror. But it no way impeaches the Divine Perfections to f»#, tM God'has appointed such Sinners as are here described, to ptiulnatM) Condemnation and Puniflimeiir have respect to sin. If therefore Mel will Use the Grace, and accept of the Terms; offered to them 11 the (i* spel; ;Kthey will turn from tht-irSins, and live a new Life, they offi be secure that n; Decree of God's w 11 exclude thim from Sa!vj:ioa,p// Will they be in Danger of being condemned and i'u»!s. ed- . B.