« AnteriorContinuar »
A. D. 57. night and a day I have a Night and a Day was tost upon u-v-2 been in the deep : a Piece " of Wreckbefore I could
get to Land.
1. I T is not expedi
ent for me doubtless to glory: I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.
of the Habitation and Society of blessed Angels and Spirits.
3. And I knew such a man (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth :)
4. How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.
4. I can only say, I was in Paradise, the Seat of the Blessed, and had a clear and certain Revelation of such Things made to me, as I am no Way able tot express. 5. Though
* So Dr. Whitby placeth it, Anno Dom. 46. and to have been made at Lyffra, Aëts xiv.
+ Ver. 4. 'Oux ićy, It is not lawful for a Man to atter, or it is not possible, as the Word often fignifies ; ; roo & offs
7. And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, +the messen
s" of “”. ...","..., of * H h Emissa
wereysoxias rive ri, ox ićiv, Juvius, 3 &2 to de Styxlow słvai mi Sajov wavves. Not unlawful by any divine Command, but impossible to be express'd in buman Language, as they were perfečtly divine and beavenly Things. Clem. Alexand. Stron. v. £; 586. Ver, 7. A Thorn in the Flesh. See Note on Chap. x. 10. and Dr. Whitby on this Place. See also and compare Numb. xxxiii. 55.josh. xxiii. 13, judges ii. 3. Ezek. xxviii. 24. + Ib. The Mesoger of Satan to buffet me. "Aysag) so75, fra us xanagić, So as that the Messenger of Satan buffett me. (Aés Xii. 21, 22, 23.) I have paraphras'd this Passage according to the learned Dr. Whitby's Interpretation, as the clearest and most agreeable to other §: in these Epistles. If the Reader does not approve of it, he may choose that Sense which several of the antient Fathers, Chrysostom and Oecumenius, &c. give of it, who, by the Thorn in the Flesh, understand bin Affliáions and Persecutions, which his Adversaries, the Messengers of Satan, brought upon him.