« AnteriorContinuar »
12. Wherein were all manner of four-footed beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of
13. And at the same Time, a Voice directed to him from Heaven, bidding him to take and eat
any of them, without any Difference or religious Distimótion: God thereby intending to intimate to him, that he
should now freely and indifferently preach the Gospel to the
Jews and entiles.
16. And to give him a greater A. D. 40. Sertainty of the Truth of the C
Vision, and fix his Attention to the Meaning of it, it was re
20. Arise therefore, and get thee down, and go with them, doubting nothing: for I have sent them.
21. Then Peter went down to the men which were sent unto him from Cornelius; and said, Be
20 & 21. The Spirit ordered him, though they were Gentiles, to make no Scruple of conversing and going along with them, for that they came by special Direc. tion from God. He went down to them accordingly, telling them he was the Person they enquired for, and asked them their Busines,
ye are come *
22. And they said, Cornelius, the centurion, a just man, and one that fearth God, and of good reportamong all the nation of the Jews, was warned from God by
an holy angel, to send
words of thee,
+ Wer. 25 & 26. Grotius and several other learned Men are
of Opinion, That Cornelius took Peter to be an Angel.
how that it is an un-
unto one of another nation: but God hath shewed me that
whole Matter, from whence they might learn the Full
36. The word * which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by }. Christ (he is
ord of all) 37. That word * (I say) you know, which was published throughout all Judea, and began from Galijee, after the baptism which John preached: 38. How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the holy Ghost,
* Ver. 36, 37. The Word which God sent —78, A4) or — That Word you know — 1. Färta – Note. If I greatly mistake not, this Passage loses all its true Meaning in our common Way of interpreting it. rip aflyov in the 36th, and as 2/wsusyor ouz in the 37th Verse, are taken to fignify one and the faine Thing; whereas the former is the same with 3v. Tozov, and x212 is to be understood; the latter. (Foua) aniwers to Dabar in the Hebrew, and signifies, not the Doñrine, but the Transasiions of Christ, the History or Faàs of his Life. Miracles, &c. This gives the clearest Sense and Connexion thus, viz. God is no Respeller of Persons, but in every Nation, be that feareth God — is arcepted with him ; zaja. 73v A52-cy — i. e. according to the very Doğrine which God sent to israel, by Jesus Christ, who $1G-, this God, [or this CHR ist) is Lord of all, both Jews and Gentiles. Now, the Transactions [Fowa) of CHR 1st you know — viz. How that God anointed bin with the Holy Ghoff, and with Power, &c.