Imágenes de páginas

On the 9th, at a conference of the Twelve Apostles, at Far West, President Rigdon gave some counsel concerning provision necessary to be made for the families of the Twelve while laboring away, and advising them to instruct their converts to move promptly to the places of gathering, and strictly attend to the law of God.

On the 10th, Joseph, Sidney, Hyrum, and G. W. Robinson visited Adam-ondi-ahman.

In the latter part of this month, Judge Morin, of Mill Port, informed some brethren that the mob had determined to prevent the “Mormons” from voting at the election on August 6, and thereby elect Colonel William P. Peniston, who led the mob in Clay County. Judge Morin advised the brethren to go prepared for an attack, and stand by their rights. But the brethren hoped better things and paid little heed to his friendly counsel.

On the 26th, the First Presidency, the bishop's court and others held a meeting at Far West, when various financial matters were considered and arranged.

Joseph and Sidney left Far West on the 28th for Adam-ondiahman to settle some Canadian brethren, returning on the 30th.

On the 5th of August, Elder Erastus Snow and President Rigdon preached. Several were confirmed, among them F. G. Williams, he having been rebaptized.

On the 6th, the citizens of Caldwell County, assembled at Far West, unanimously recommended Sidney Rigdon for postmaster of that place, W. W. Phelps having resigned.

The citizens of Far West met and unanimously agreed to have a weekly newspaper, Sidney Rigdon to be the editor. It was also voted that a petition be circulated to locate the county seat at Far West. Joseph, Sidney and Hyrum advocated the measure and urged on the brethren to build and live in cities and carry on their farms outside, according to the order of God.

This was the day of election. Toward mid-day, William B. Peniston mounted a barrel, harangued the electors, exciting them against the "Mormons," who, he said, were horse-thieves, liars, counterfeits, etc., boasting that he headed the mob to drive them out of Clay County and "would not prevent them being mobbed now.” Soon quarreling, fighting and mobbing commenced. The county authorities said it was a premeditated thing to prevent the

"Mormons” from voting. The mob collected with guns, knives, etc. The brethren of Far West hid their wives and children in a hazel bush thicket, and stood sentry over them during the night in the rain.

On the 7th, reports came that two or three of the brethren had been killed at Gallatin, and others prevented from voting, and that a majarity of the Daviess County people were determined to drive the Saints from the county. Joseph, Sidney, Hyrum Smith and fifteen or twenty others started for Gallatin, to assist the brethren there, reaching Colonel Wight's that night, and learned that none of the brethren had been killed, but several were badly wounded.

On the 8th, several citizens of Mill Port called, and it was agreed to have a meeting next day with some of the principal men of the county at Adam-ondi-ahman, at which a peaceable agreement was come to between the two parties. Joseph and his companions returned to Far West that night, 9th.

On the morning of the 11th, Joseph and council and Almon W. Babbit left Far West to visit the brethren on the Forks of Grand River, who had come from Canada with Elder Babbit and had settled there, contrary to counsel. Joseph and council returned to Far West on the 13th, and were chased ten or twelve miles by evidesigning men, but eluded their grasp. When eight miles from home, Joseph and council were met by some brethren who said a writ had been issued by Judge King for his arrest and that of Lyman Wight, for attempting to defend their rights. The spirit of mobocracy continued to stalk abroad, notwithstanding all treaties

of peace.

On the 1st of September, the First Presidency, with Judge Higbee as surveyor, went north fourteen or fifteen miles, and appointed a place for a city, and the brethren were instructed to gather immediately into it. The presidency returned to Far West by evening.

There was great excitement at this time among the Missouri

All of upper Missouri was in uproar and confusion. The mob was collecting all around, saying they meant to drive the “Mormons” from Daviess County, as had been done from Jackson County.

On the 2nd, Joseph sent for General Atichison, of Liberty,


Clay County, to see if he could not put a stop to the collection of people and to hostilities in Daviess County. The General arrived at Far West the next day.

On the 4th, General Atchison was consulted with, who said he would do all in his power to disperse the mob. Generals Atchison and Doniphan (partners) were engaged as lawyers and counselors-at-law, to defend the brethren. The same day Joseph and Sidney commenced the study of law under the instruction of Generals Atchison and Doniphan.

The result of the council with Generals Atchison and Doniphan was that Joseph and Colonel Wight volunteer to be tried by Judge King. Accordingly on the 7th, the trial commenced, William P. Peniston, the mobocrat being the prosecutor. The result, although there was no proof of crime, was that Joseph and Colonel Wight were held in five-hundred-dollar bonds.

On the 2nd of October, Joseph, Sidney, Hyrum, Isaac Morley, and G. W. Robinson met the camp of emigrants about five hundred miles from Kirtland-about eight hundred and eighty-six miles the way they traveled-and escorted them into Far West. President Rigdon provided supper for the sick. Other brethren provided for the rest.

On the 3rd, Joseph, Sidney, Hyrum, and Brigham Young went with the emigrants a mile or two and then returned to Far West.

On the 24th, Thomas B. Marsh, formerly President of the Twelve, having apostatized since the conference, went to Richmond, and made affidavit before Henry Jacobs, justice of the peace, to vile calumnies, lies and slanders against Joseph and the Church.

On the 31st, Colonel Hinkle, commanding the Caldwell Militia, Far West, made an unauthorized agreement with the State Militia, or rather mob leaders, to give up the Church leaders to be tried and punished. Colonel Hinkle and the officers of the governor's troops then waited upon Joseph Smith, and invited him to go into the camp for an interview; accordingly Joseph, hoping to settle the difficulties without the enforcing of Governor Boggs' exterminating order, accompanied by Sidney, P. P. Pratt, Lyman Wight, and George W. Robinson, went into the camp, when they were taken as prisoners of war, and treated with contempt, insult, taunts and sneers, and in the evening had to lie on the cold ground.

On the first of November, Hyrum Smith and Amasa Lyman were brought prisoners into camp, a court martial was held, and the prisoners were sentenced to be shot the next morning on the public square as an ensample to the “Mormons." General Doniphan said he would have nothing to do with such cold blooded murder, and he would withdraw his forces. General Atchison withdrew when Governor Bogg's exterminating order was received.

The militia then went into Far West, abused the inhabitants, and plundered their houses at pleasure. Eighty more men were taken prisoners, the remainder being ordered to leave and disperse on pain of death.

On the 2nd, the martial law sentence not having been carried out, Joseph, Sidney, Hyrum, P. P. Pratt, Amasa Lyman, and George W. Robinson were taken from Far West, by the governor's troops, on the way to Independence, arriving there on Sunday, 4th.

On the 6th, fifty-six more brethren were also made prisoners by General Clark at Far West, and started off for Richmond next day.

On the 8th, Joseph, Sidney and the prisoners at Independence were started off for Richmond, arriving there on the 9th, where they were hand-cuffed and chained two together. While there in charge of Colonel Price, all manner of abuse was heaped upon them.

On the 13th, Joseph, Sidney, and a number of others were placed at the bar of the court, Austin A. King, a Methodist, presiding as judge, The examination continued till Saturday, 24th,when several were acquitted. The remaining prisoners were released or bailed on the 18th. except Joseph Smith, Sidney Rigdon, Lyman Wight, Caleb Baldwin, Hyrum Smith, and Alexander McRae, who were held on the charge of treason and murder. Also P. P. Pratt and some others were sent to Richmond jail on similar charges. Those who were to go to Liberty jail were taken there about the end of the month, where they were closely confined and all personal communication with friends was cut off.

About this time, W. G. McClellan, Burr Riggs, and others, plundered the houses of Sidney Rigdon and other brethren under pretense or color of law, or order from General Clark.

Said Joseph: “Thus, in a land of liberty, in the town of Liberty, Clay County, Missouri, I and my fellow prisoners, in chains, dungeons and jail, saw the close of 1838."



Just fourteen minutes after midnight, on the morning of December 9, 1899, Apostle Franklin Dewey Richards, President of the quorum of Twelve Apostles of the Church, died at his home in Ogden. He was born at Richmond, Massachusetts, April 2, 1821, and was the son of Phineas and Wealthy Richards. He was baptized by his father, in 1836, was ordained a seventy in 1839, an apostle in 1849, and became president of the quorum of Twelve Apostles when Apostle Lorenzo Snow was chosen President of The Church, in 1898. He was buried in the Ogden Cemetery, his funeral being attended by President Snow, the Twelve, and large concourses of people.

He filled many missions at home and in foreign lands, and his name is familiar to the Saints in all the world. It may truly be said that he served the people all his days, and that, too, in both a religious and a civil capacity. He held the important office of probate judge in Weber County from 1869 to 1883. Among his other labors he was historian of The Church, and in this capacity did much to preserve valuable data, civil and ecclesiastical. He was also the president of the State Historical Society.

He was among the first to recognize the value of mutual improvement among the young people, and established and presided over a successful association in Ogden two years before the general movement was inaugurated forming these associations in 1875. He was ever after interested in them, and was a dear friend to the youth of Zion.

He was an ideal Latter-day Saint. Kind, fatherly, loving-a man who won the respect and confidence of all who knew him.

« AnteriorContinuar »