Imágenes de páginas

neers just as they deserved ? and were not we to do the same to the incendiaries at Umballa ?

We marched at 5 P.M., and got on better than the first night, for it was now possible to procure carriage for the lame and exhausted. At 10 P.M. we reach Mobarrackpore and halted, the men cooking and having rum served out, the officers getting on as best they might, almost all servants being far behind. Here cholera first paid us a visit; two cases occurred, but both men did well. After three hours' rest we resumed our route, and, just before daylight, were met by a large string of elephants, most thoughtfully sent by the authorities to carry those who were wearied. We reached Umballa about 7 A.M. on the 15th May. Time taken to do these sixty miles, thirty-eight hours! Our first feeling on reaching cantonments was one of disgust at having no work, all there being seemingly quiet; our next one of satisfaction at the prospect of forming part of the force proceeding to Delhi, for we were here undeceived as to the taking of that place by the Rifles and Carabineers; moreover, it was a great relief to be out of the sun, and to have plenty of soda-water to drink. Oh, Messrs Peake, Allan, & Co. what a debt do we not owe you-painful the debt, delightful the draught! Yes; the memory of those long drinks is still refreshing, and even the Count was obliged to forget himself in some degree and" ask for more."

We had only been in cantonments a few days when cholera of the worst form showed itself among us, and continued with increasing severity till we left the ill-omened place, where so many of our strongest rest for ever.

Companies 7, 8, 9, and 10, were sent in advance to Kurnaul on the evening of the 17th, Captain Dennis commanding. The distance, forty miles, being got over in two days, this detachment was put, on arrival, under Brigadier G., who had escaped with others from Delhi. The headquarters marched from Umballa on the 21st May, at 11 P.M., and reached Shahabad about seven next morning. Cholera still kept with

the corps and increased our difficulties, the medical establishment being unavoidably on the lowest numerical scale, from the division of the regiment into three parts, and the impossibility of procuring servants at Umballa. On the 22d we again marched to Peeple; on the 23d to Bootanah; and on the 24th to Kurnaul. Here we were quartered in the Dak Bungalow, and somewhat astonished the good and kind Colonel Chester, Adjutant - General of the Forces, by the vivacity of our fun. In fact, the uproar and cheering on the arrival of the Indefatigable from Meerut, where he went alone with despatches, to open the communication, was so great, that a stranger might have fancied the mutineers were being attacked and put to the rout.

On reaching Kurnaul we found the left wing had marched for Paneeput, symptoms of disaffection having been shown by the natives of that city. The place itself is not regularly fortified, though walled, and containing many thousand inhabitants. Here I must record a most particularly trying march performed by the left wing, and other troops composing this detachment. They had marched on the 23d from Kurnaul to Goroundah, which they reached at about 7 A. M., and the day was, I well remember, one of the very hottest of the season, close, burning, and oppressive. At 11 A. M. the order came, that they were urgently required at Paneeput; without a murmur the gallant fellows buckled on their accoutrements, and in that red hot sun, without refreshment, marched ten miles, just arriving in time to awe the disorderly, and save the city. The next day all the inhabitants were disarmed.

Above I have said the men were without any refreshment, but such was not entirely the case, for near one of the wells on the roadside was a bed of very fine onions, tempting fellows, green above, white below, regular sneezers, and no mistake. In a twinkling the khet* was clear, so much so, that when private No. 600 came to his officer and said, "Plaize

* Field.

yer honor where's the onions lay?" the officer was quite at a loss to tell private No. 600 where the esculents had been.

The right wing left Kurnaul a few hours before the Commander-in-Chief breathed his last, and marching eighteen miles, joined the left wing. We here left cholera behind us, and after a halt of three days, marched to Soomalka, and on the 30th again moved to Sursowlie, and on the 31st to Rae, where we halted till the morning of the 4th. At this place we made examples of some of the murderers and insulters of women and children. The rest of the Umballa force coming up on the 4th, we moved to Allepore, Brigadier Showers assuming charge of the first brigade, in which the 1st Fusiliers was placed. Colonel Welchman and Captain Brown joined us on the 5th, the first still weakly, but his gallant spirit urged the old soldier on, to leave his family and pleasant home for fatigues and dangers at the head of his corps. At Allepore we remained till Wilson and the heavy guns joined from the Hindon, where they had had some sharp fighting. While halted, the refreshing news was brought in by the Indefatigable that the enemy had occupied a serai on the road to Delhi, with a strong village to the left, and that a considerable number of guns had been brought by the mutineers to defend the place. Accordingly, when the orders came out on the 7th for the advance to be led by two companies (Nos. 5 and 6) of the 1st Fusiliers, completed to twenty-five files each, commanded by Captain Brown, with Lieutenants Daniell and Walters, followed by Her Majesty's 75th, the remainder of the 1st Fusiliers, and the other corps, with the artillery, we judged there would be some work to do, and therefore retired early, to be fresh for the morrow.

"Our strong arms be our conscience, swords our law;

March on, join bravely, let's to it pell-mell."

The advance commenced at 1 A.M., slowly along the road; and just as the early dawn began to streak the horizon, we reached to within some 1200 yards of Bardul-ki-Serai. The

watch-fires of the enemy could now be seen distinctly before their white tents, seemingly to the left of the road. At this time bang went the first gun of the enemy, down the road, but well over our heads, immediately followed by a shell from a howitzer of theirs, which, better directed, killed a man and horse, and the battle of Bardul-ki-Serai had begun. The road was at once deserted, the 1st forming in line to the right, in a ditch partly hid by trees; here we remained for only a minute till our guns came to the front at the gallop along the road in a most dashing style. We then advanced over an open plain, fully exposed to the continued fire of the enemy's guns, and losing in a minute about twenty in killed and wounded. Here Greville was hit, but not severely injured; Ellis, too, received three contusions from fragments of a shell which knocked over two men beside him, he fortunately escaping without serious injury. Two companies were on the right of the 75th, the remainder of the regiment formed the line in support. The fire from the enemy's guns, being, as above described, most intense, the infantry were ordered to seek for the cover afforded by a rising ground about 400 yards in front of the enemy's battery. Here the whole regiment was assembled with the exception of the advanced guard, which remained on the roadside, close to the enemy's position. The fire on this mound was truly constant, and fearfully accurate, and it was here Colonel Chester fell, horse and rider, killed by a round shot. Just at this time the order was given to re-form and charge the enemy's batteries; but while doing so, some staff-officer called out, "Prepare to receive cavalry!" The command was partially obeyed, and caused much confusion; moreover, it was quite unnecessary, as no cavalry could be seen. The regiment was then formed in line, and three companies detached to attack a village filled with rebel infantry; but so many counter-orders were given, that it resulted in the whole regiment advancing to the right, instead of five companies assisting the 75th, as was originally intended. The corps

advanced under a heavy fire, but the village was quickly stormed by our men, and the enemy at once driven out. In fact the gallant way in which the 75th charged the battery in their front, and captured the guns in it, produced such an impression on the enemy that they seemed to have no wish to stay. Here Colonel Welchman had a narrow escape he galloped after three men, one of whom he cut down, but the second turned and made a cut at the Colonel, whose horse, however, received the blow intended for the rider. Private Clarke, No. 3 Company, then came to the assistance of the Colonel, and received a cut over the shoulder, but at the same time drove his bayonet into the Pandy, whose sword he took, and carried for the remainder of the day; the wound disabling him so far as to prevent his carrying his musket. This soldier did not escape without further injury, however, for as we were advancing, a cow charged, and knocked him down, breaking his collar bone. From that day Private Clarke declares he'd much rather meet two Sepoys than one cow.

The troops moved steadily onwards in the Delhi direction, till we came to Azadpore; where the cantonment branches from the Delhi road. Here the enemy had guns, which commenced firing on the advancing column. The 1st were at once ordered off to the left, to skirmish through gardens, and over an open space immediately opposite the Delhi cantonment parade; we drove in the enemy quickly, their light guns meanwhile firing round shot into us from the ridge above cantonments. Having crossed the canal, and gained the parade, it became evident that, till supported, we could do little, and must incur much loss by advancing over the open parade; the men were therefore halted, under the shelter of the graveyard wall and the banks of the canal, till Money's guns, firing from the left, told us they had reached the old cantonment Bazaar, and flanked the enemy. The 1st then advanced across the parade, through the Sepoy lines, and up to the deserted guns on the ridge, along which

we marched in column, till disturbed by a round shot from the city, when the men were ordered to fall a little behind the ridge, so as to be protected, yet continuing to advance. On this ridge was found a cart, which was at first thought to contain ammunition; on inspection, we found it full of the remains of murdered fellow - Christians heaped together.

The regiment at last found shelter under some trees, in what was subsequently called "the Valley of Death," and the men were to have had their grog served out; but the enemy's shot beginning to come in rather too frequently to be pleasant, and a horse or two being knocked over, we were marched back to the old cantonment, the parade-ground being occupied as the camp. Here we had about two hours' rest, when informed that the enemy were coming out in force from the city. The regiment was at once under arms, but Colonel Welchman was so completely exhausted by the sun, he was quite unable to go out. Major Jacob therefore led us up to Hindoo Rao's house, from whence the regiment was sent skirmishing to the right. We returned to camp about 6 P.M., having had a pretty hard day's work, and having lost three in killed and twenty-six wounded. What think you of our first day's work, Mr Ebony?

On the 9th June, about 1 P.M., the alarm sounded, and the regiment was ordered to the ridge, Major Jacob commanding; here we saw the Pandies coming out in hundreds, to the left and along the front. They observed no formation, but came sneaking along behind walls and hedges. Notwithstanding the command of shelter which they had, they were at once checked by the field-pieces, and retired, though they could have lost very few men. We were thinking, also, of returning to camp at 5 P.M., when the firing of musketry on the right, which had been gradually increasing, became exceedingly brisk, and shortly after orders were given for five companies to move and support the Rifles. The enemy were quickly driven back almost to the walls of the city; and as nothing

more could possibly be done, the men were directed to retire. Most unfortunately, just then a bugler of one of the corps engaged sounded the retreat, and the enemy, knowing the call, advanced again to the attack in great force, and with increased courage. Night was then coming on, so that we were unable to see some of our men who were wounded, and the body of Corporal M'Gee, walking drum-major, was left on the ground; this was recovered next day frightfully mutilated.

Lieutenant Butler joined from leave on the 9th, having ridden in from Mussoorie, 110 miles, in three days. As this was done on one horse, it was pretty good travelling for the season; but the young soldier is partial to equestrian exercise, and his powers of adhesion are very great.

June 10.-The regiment moved out at 11 A.M. to the right, and remained for a few hours near the mound. Nothing further was done, and we returned in the evening. About this time the white shirts of the men were dyed, so as to present less conspicuous marks to the enemy. 11th. The word was passed round about 3 A.M. for all officers and men to turn out; and it soon became whispered that the powder-bags had been carried ahead for the purpose of blowing in the Lahore Gate, and that Delhi was to be assaulted before daylight. We marched silently along for some short distance, when it was found that one of the brigadiers had not the men under his orders ready, and that day would dawn ere these men, absolutely necessary to increase the number of assailants, could join the attacking column. With our small force, to have assaulted Delhi, unless by surprise, would have been to insure failure; and thus this mode of attack was abandoned. Whether it would in the present instance have succeeded or not, is a question which must rest for ever undecided; but certainly this was the time to have made the attempt, if ever, and it looked very promising. The men were much discouraged by turning back, and from this time the leaguer of Delhi may be said to have commenced.

LEAGUER OF DELHI. "To live means to work, and to work according to reason, but with us means to suffer."

June 12.-Moved out to the left, Colonel Welchman commanding. The wings were subsequently divided, the right marching down to the Subzee Mundeh, and the left skirmishing in the gardens down to the canal; the musketry was exceedingly lively, the rebels, firing from behind walls and trees, retired on Delhi. In this contest the enemy's cavalry were mistaken for the Guides, and thus escaped severe punishment, giving us a parting volley as they galloped away. This morning we lost six men in killed and wounded.

17th. It being suspected that the enemy were erecting a battery on our right, the fire from which would greatly annoy our guns at Hindoo Rao's, a force was ordered in the afternoon to attack the enemy, and capture the guns; Major Tombs, of the Artillery, commanding the whole, Major Jacob, with three hundred men of the 1st, forming part of the force. This marched through the village of Subzee Mundeh, skirmishing through the dense gardens on the right. On reaching the Eed-ghar, the enemy retreating rapidly, and our men advancing, captured one gun, the only piece of artillery seen-no battery was discovered. In this action, which was admirably conducted, the 1st lost three killed and six wounded; Captain Brown was very severely injured, having one finger shot off, a bullet-wound through the wrist, another through the cheek; another smashed his collar-bone, and lodged among the muscles at the back of the neck; a graze on the side completed the list. The gallant Captain, I am happy to say, recovered.

19th. The enemy having been observed advancing in force from the Lahore gate during the morning, evidently with the intention of acting on our right flank, the troops were ordered to receive them. Colonel Welchman commanding the 1st Fusiliers, these were directed to proceed to the mound, so as to protect the right flank, which the enemy first attacked. There we remained till halfpast 5 P.M., about which time very

heavy firing from guns commenced within a mile and a half of camp and to the rear. The right wing, under Major Jacob, was now ordered to proceed to the scene of action and support the Rifles. By the time the wing reached the fight it was almost dark, and the position of the combatants could only be distinguished by the flashing of the guns and musketry, the fire from which was unceasing and sustained till dense darkness put an end to the combat. From this cause also the infantry got completely mingled: officers separated from their companies, and our men mistaken for and fired on

as the enemy. In fact, so great was the confusion, and so little could officers tell where troops under their command were, that Colonel Beecher, a soldier always in the front, rode up to a corps of the enemy, supposing them to be our troops, and was there shot at, but happily escaped, not without a severe wound, however, the ball passing through his arm and breaking the bone. The men returned to camp worn out and exhausted. In this affair we lost five killed and ten wounded. Next morning the whole regiment was ordered out before daylight, Colonel Welchman commanding the 1st, which formed a portion of the attacking force. We came on the enemy just at dawn, drawn up in line to receive us. On the guns opening, however, they retired, without our infantry having fired a shot. One gun was abandoned by the enemy, it having stuck in a ditch. Two companies were ordered to skirmish to the right through gardens, and some entering a village were fired at by Sepoys lurking about. The 1st had one killed and two wounded. The troops returned about half-past 9 A.M., but were hardly in camp an hour, when two round-shot falling in the headquarter camp, and smashing the General's crockery, gave notice that the enemy, so far from being discouraged, were again advancing to the attack. The troops were once more ordered out, but could not come up to the rebels, who retired as we advanced. A strong west wind, hot as the blast of a furnace, laden with dust, blew directly in the faces of our

men, and distressed them extremely; moreover, from this cause, it was almost impossible to see the enemy. After skirmishing for miles, the troops returned about 1 P.M., greatly exhausted, and without being able to close with the foe.

"Will he succumb, or will he not succumb?


June 23. Shortly after breakfast the 1st Fusiliers were ordered to the right of Hindoo Rao's house, where the gallant Goorkahs were greatly pressed by the enemy; the gardens in front and to the right were found occupied by the rebels in force, and as they were driven out of these, they fell slowly back on the Subzee Mundeh, we continuing to advance. There the fight became very sharp, the enemy occupying the roofs and interior of the houses, and firing from these and the cross streets; when pressed running away at once, but turning back and again forming up in our rear, we not having men enough to hold and advance at the same time. On facing about, this style of contest was again renewed, and though the village was finally won and kept by the 1st and 2d Fusiliers and Goorkahs, who fought exceedingly well, yet the fighting was very sharp, continuing throughout the entire day. It was here Colonel Welchman was most severely wounded, and obliged to leave the field, a ball having passed through his arm and injured the elbow joint, as he waved his sword in the front. Captain Dennis then commanded, but was unable to remain, being struck down by the sun, from the effects of which he still continues to suffer. Lieutenant Wemyss then led on the men. Captain Greville, however, shortly relieved the Adjutant, and brought the corps finally into camp. The 1st lost seven killed and forty-three wounded, five having mortal

injuries. Seven officers were brought in from the field quite exhausted by the sun; in fact, the men, though conquerors, felt their powers had been tried to the utmost. The attack of the mutineers was particularly obstinate and sustained, from the belief that on this day-the centenary of Plassey-the Europeans

« AnteriorContinuar »