« AnteriorContinuar »
Of the Duty of Watchfulness, and look
ing for Christ's second Coming.
Ver. 35.J ET your Loins be girded about, and your
1 Lights burning; 36. And ye your felves like unto Men that wait for the Lord, when he will return from the Wedding, that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately.
37. Blessed are those Servants, whom the Lord when he cometh shall find watching : verily, I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to fit down to Meat, and will come forth and serve them.
38. And if he shall come in the second Watch, or come in the third Watch, and find them fo, blessed are those Servants.
39. And this know, that if the good Man of the House had known what Hour the Thief would come, he would have wATCHED, and not have suffered his House to be broken through.
40. Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of Man cometh at an Hour when ye think not.
41. Then Peter said unto him, Lord, speakest thou this Parable unto us, or even to all ?
42. And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise Steward, whom his Lord Shall make Ruler over his Houshold, to give them their Portion of Meat in due Seafon?
43. Bleffed is that Servant, whom his Lord when he cometh Shall find so doing.
44. Of a Truth I say unto you, that he will make him Ruler over all that he hath.
45. But, and if that Servant say in his Heart, My Lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the Men Servants, and Maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken :
46. The Lord of that Serrant will come in a Day when he looketh not for him, and at an Hour when he is not ware, and will cut him in funder, and will appoint him his Portion with the UNBELIEVERS,
47. And that Servant which knew his Lord's Will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his Will, shall be beaten with many Stripes.
48. But he that knew not, and did commit Things worthy of Stripes, shall be beaten with few Stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required : and to whom Men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.
49. I am come to send Fire on the Earth, and what will 1, if it be already kindled ?
so. But I have a Baptism to be baptized with, aod how am I ftraitned, till it be accomplished! .
51. Suppose ye that I am come to give Peace on Earth? 1 tell you, Nay; but rather DIVISION.
52. For from henceforth there shall be five in one House divided, three against two, and two against three.
53. The Father shall be divided against the Son, and the Son against the Father : the Mother against the Daughter, and the Daughter againft the Mother : the Mother in Law againft her Daughter in Law, and the Daughter in Law against her Mother in Law.
54. And he said also to the People, When ye see a Cloud rise out of the West, straightway ye say, there cometh a Shower; and so it is.
55. And when ye fee the South Wind blow, ye fay, There will be Heat, and it cometh to pass.
56. Ye HYPOCRÍTES, ye can discern the Face of the Sky, and of the Earth : but how is it that ye do not difcern this Time ?
57. Yea, and why even of your felves judge ye not what is right?
58. When thou goeft with thine Adversary to the Magiftrate, as thou are in the Way, give Diligence that thou mayst be delivered from him ; left he hale thee to the Judge, and the Judge deliver thee to the Officer, and the Officer cast thee intu Prison.
59. I tell thee, thou shalt not depary thence till thou haft payed the very last Mite (8.)
Daughter liter in Law, anomen ve See a Cloud
(8) Deut. iv. 7. For what Nation is there fo great, who hath GOD so nich unto them, as the Lord our God is in all Things that we call upon him for.
8. And what Nation is there so great, that hath Statutes and JUDGMENTS so righteous, as all this Law which I set before you This Day?
9. Only · 9. Only take Heed to thy self, and keep thy Soul diligently, left thou forget the Things which thine Eyes have seen, and left they DEPART from thy Heart all the Days of thy Life : but teach them thy Sons, and thy Sons Sons.
Joh. xxiii. 11. Take Good Heed unto your selves, that ye Love the Lord your God.
Psalm iv. 4. Stand in awe, and sin not : COMMUNE with your own Heart upon your Bed, and be still.
PS. cxix. 9. Wherewith fhall a young Man cleanse his Way? by TAKING Heed thereto according to thy Word.
PS. cxli. 3. Set a WATCH, O Lord, before my Mouth : keep · the Door of my Lips.
Pror. iv. 23. 'Keep thy Heart with all Diligence : for out of it are the Issues of Life.
Matt. xxiv. 42. Watch therefore, for ye know not what Hour your Lord doth come.
Mark xiii. 33. Take ye HEED, WATCH and PRAY : for ye know not when the Time is.
34. For the Son of Man is as a Man taking a far Journey, who left his House, and gave Authority to his Servants, and to every Man his Work, and commanded the Porter to WATCH.
35. WATCH ye therefore (for ye know not when the Master of the House cometh ; at Even, or at Midnight, or at the Cockcrowing, or in the Morning)
36. Lest coming SUDDENLY, he find you sleePING.
Luke xxi. 34. And take heed to your selves, lest at any time your Heart be overcharged with Surfeiting and Drunkenness, and Cares of this Life, and so that Day come upon you UNAWARES.
35. For as a SNARE shall it come on all them that dwell on the Face of the whole Earth.
36. WATCH ye therefore, and PRAY always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these Things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man.
1 Cor. x. 11. Now all these Things happened unto them (the Ifraelites) for Ensamples : and they are written for our Admonition, upon whom the Ends of the World are come.
12. Wherefore let him that thinketh he STANDETH, TAKE HEED left he fall.
Chap. xvi. 13. WATCH ye, STAND FAST in the FAITH, quit you like Men, be strong.
Ephef. v. 15. See then that ye walk CIRCUMSPECTLY, not as Fools, but as Wise.
16. Redeeming the Time, because the Days are Evil.
Chap. vi. 18. Praying always with all Prayer and Supplication in the Spirit, and WATCHING thereunto with all Perseverance, and Supplication for all Saints.
Col. iv. 2. CONTINUE in PRAYER, and watch in the same with Thanksgiving.
1 Thes: v. 6. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be soBER.
Titas ii. 13. Looking for that blessed Hope, and the glorious APPEARING of the great God, and our Saviour Jesus Chrift.
i Pet. i. 13. Wherefore gird up the Loins of your Mind, be fober, and HOPE to the End, for the GRACE that is to be brought unto you at the Revelation of Jesus Christ.
2 Pet. iii. 3. Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last Days Scoffers, walking after their own Lusts,
4. And saying, Where is the PROMISE of his COMING ? For since the Fathers fell aslcep, all Things continue as they were from the Beginning of the Creation.
5. For this, they willingly are ignorant of, that by the WORD of God the Heavens were of old, and the Earth standing out of the Water, and in the Water.
8. But beloved, be not ignorant of this one Thing, that one Day is with the Lord as a THOUSAND YEARS, and a THOUSAND YEARS as ONE DAY.
9. The Lord is not SLACK concerning his PROMISE, (as fome Mén count SLACKNESS) but is long-suffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to RepenTANCE.
10. But the Day of the LORD will conie as a Thief in the Night; in the which the HEAVENS shall pass away with a great Noise, and the ELEMENTS shall MELT with fervent Heat; the Earth also, and the Works that are therein, shall be burnt up.
u. Seeing then that all these Things shall be DISSOLVED, what manner of Persons ought ye to be in all holy CONVERSATION and GODLINESS.
Rev. xxi. 7. Behold, I come quickly; blefied is he that keep eth the Sayings of the Prophecy of this Book.
'12. And behold, I come quickly; and my Reward is with me, to give every Man according as his Work Thall be.
20. He which testifieth these Things, faith surely, I come QUICKLY. Amen. Even so come Lord Jefus.
See the Parable of the Ten VIRGINS,
the off of it use of the the one after it out of it if it af of oft af of the date of its of f
The Disciples being angry at James and
John, for the Reques made by their
Matt. xx. 20. Mark x. 35.
Children, with her Sons, worshipping him, and
him, Grant that these my two Sons may fit, the one on thy RIGHT HAND, and the other on the LÉPT in THY Kingdom. [Mr.] And Fames and Foun the Sons of Zebedee come unto him, saying, Master, We would that thou Shouldīt do for us whatsoever we shall defire. And he said unto them, What would ye that I should do for you? They said unto him, Grant unto us, that we may fit, one on thy RIGHT Hand, and the other on thy LEFT HAND, in thy GLORY. [M] But fefuis answered and faid [Ar.) unto them, [M.] Ye know not what ye alk. Are ye able to drink of the Cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the Baptifm that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able. [Mr.] And Jesus faid unto them, [M.] Ye shall drink indeed of my Cup, and be baptized with the Baptism that I am baptized with : [ Mr.) but to fit on my right Hand and on my left Hand, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared (M.] of my father. ' And when the Ten heard it, they were moved with Indignation against the two Brethren, [.Mr.] Fames and Fobr. But Fejus called them to him, and Taith, (M.] Ye know that the PRINCES of the Gentiles exercile DOMINION over them ; and they that are GREAT exercise AUTHORITY upon them. But it shall not be so among you: