« AnteriorContinuar »
oats at 25. 4d. His landlord gives him a receipt in full for £4, 108. ; how much does the landlord forego ?
29. I spent of my money yesterday, and of the remainder to-day, thereby leaving half-a-guinea in hand; how much money had I at first, and what fraction of it is left ?
30. I bought a watch and chain for 20 guineas; the watch cost me 37 guineas more than the chain. Find the price of each in £ s. d.
31. If the wages of 13 men for 71 days amount to £13, 75. od., how many men ought to work 4 weeks for £173, 8s.?
32. Multiply 155 shillings by 109!; and divide £61, 45. 77. d. by 267 10
33. Find the difference between 419 and 3:1, and multiply it by the quotient of ; = 23.
34. Divide 1 acres by 28%, and find the value of the quotient at the rate of 7s. 6d. per pole.
35. In a map drawn on the scale of too of that of nature, how many inches represent a mile?
36. A dollar weighs of an oz. Troy, and an English crown piece of a lb. Troy; express the weight of the former as the fraction of the latter.
37. If of a yard of silk cost 45. 114d., what is the cost of 3 of of 4 yards of it?
38. Divide 75. 1.}d. by liz, and subtract from the quotient 38 of 7 half-crowns.
39. What fraction should be multiplied by 3} of 3} to produce 3, and what number should be divided by the same fraction to produce is?
40. A farmer went to market with £2; in his pocket. He received for wheat sold £17%, for poultry 18 s., for eggs 335. ; how much did he bring home?
41. A merchant owns of a ship worth £3poo, and its cargo worth £27,000. He purchases another person's share, which is į of j of it; what part of it has he now, and what is its value?
42. A yard measure worn it of au inch short is used to find
the length of a ropewalk, and gives it as 175 yards; what is the real length of the ropewalk ?
43. If; of of a ship and her cargo is worth £7800, what loss will be experienced by the owner of į share of the ship and cargo if she goes to the bottom?
44. A bricklayer has just built 19 of a wall in 4 days of u hours; how much longer will he take to finish it?
45. Find the value of of 4s. 8d. +3} of £2, 6s. + } of a guinea-i of £51. 46. Multiply 7.}-3}
and divide the product by 6 +1} 213-9 12 +21
47. A man and a boy working together for 9 hours a day can do a job in 11 days; the man by himself would be 17 days about it : how long would it take the boy alone to do it?
48. If 21i oz. of tea cost 111s., what part of a pound of tea may be had for 2 s. ?
49. If of a yard of silk cost 4165., how much of it should there be in a gown which, with 233 s. for making, costs £10, 195. 2 d. ?
50. Find the value of (910 +764 +137:) £, divided by 21.
51. If, after selling of an estate, I sell off of the remainder for off of £ 2005, what is the value of the estate?
52. A clock, 4 min. 831 sec. too fast at 9.30 A.M. on Tuesday, loses 2 min. 45 sec. daily; what time will it show at a quarter past 5 P.M. on the following Friday?
53. If the value of of an estate be £541, 135. 9d., how much should I get for of z of what was left of the whole estate, after disposing of of it to another purchaser ?
54. If I earn £7, os. 1d. per week, and put by of my gains, in how many weeks shall I have saved £5, 16s. 91d.?
55. Find the price of 11950 tons of sugar, at the rate of 7.d. for 1 lb. 8 oz.
56. What must be added to 1411 to make up 337, and what must be subtracted from 2881:31 to reduce it to 1321!? 57. Give the difference between 1 of a guinea and į of a £; and between of a mile and of a furlong.
58. If 81 cwts. cost £138, find the cost of 73 lbs.
59. What weight must be added to sof i of half a civt. to make it up to 10 of 3 quarters avoirdupois?
60. What is the value of 3 qrs. of oats, if 175 grs. cost £332?
61. Find the difference of 8 of 19), and no of 1 of 34; and the sum of 21 and 5:33.
62. Express the sum and difference of £i and of a crown as fractions of half-a-sovereign ; and find how many times the second is contained in the first.
63. Multiply 2 fur. 8 pls. 2 st. 1 in. by 275, and prove the product by division.
64. A bankrupt is able to pay only of of his debts. How much will be lost by each of two creditors, one of whom is owed £1190, and the other £3867, 103. ?
65. Multiply together 2}+3}, 93-7), and 3-1-1
66. A pound Troy of standard gold is coined into 4620 sovereigns; what is the weight of a sovereign in grains ?
67. What is the quotient of the sum divided by the difference of 203 and ?
68. Define a simple, compound, and complex fraction; give an example of each; and find what fraction bears the same proportion to 11 as bears to oz.
69. Find the sum and difference of j of £5, and of 5 guineas.
70. In a boy's copy-book there are 16 pages, and 12 lines in a page. What fraction of the book has he written, (a) half through the second page; (6) within 4 lines of the last page but one?
71. One-fourth of an estate belongs to A, , of it to B, and the remainder to C, which is worth £2500 more than A's share; what is the value of the whole ?
72. (a) If A be 2 of B, and B be ig of C, and D be 73 of C, what fraction is A of D?
(6) If 2} of B=i} of (A + of A), then find two whole numbers which shall bear to each other the ratio of A and B.
73. What is the value of (74 + of 43) +(84-1 of 154) of a guinea?
74. Find the sum of money that shall be the same fraction of £69, gs. 6d. that 2 qrs. 10 lbs. is of 36 cwt. I qr.
75. Add together 14, 2, and 3}; multiply their sum by the product of these fractions : subtract from the result the diference of 2; and 1), and divide the remainder by the sum of 5) and 1 of 31.
76. There were 154 fewer wrecks on the British coasts in 1855 than in 1854; and this difference was os of the number in 1854 : what was the number of wrecks in 1855?
1 Give the vulgar fraction equal to each of the following decimals :-'05, 0075, 1-3, 10-937, 500'005.
2. Express as vulgar fractions in their lowest terms, 365, *125, 0035, 012, 11'94, and 8.06.
3. Reduce to decimals of 2], 1), and 333 ; and reduce to vulgar fractions 875, 0703125, 016, and .80952 3. 4. Reduce to a decimal:
x(1 of 1) +33 of 1 of 1787
3 2 5 5 01) 256
3 4 7 2
7. Reduce to vulgar fractions :
-2, oj, .is, 156, 19'305.
8. Reduce the following to vulgar fractions :
3:07, 1'283, 01236. And the following to decimals :
16 293 480 81
10. Find the vulgar fraction equal to the sum of .483 and •2756, less by 'oo94.
11. Express as decimals 99, 1711, 317; and as vulgar fractions, '14715, 9'36, '10956, 7.285714.
Reduction to the Decimal of (Money). 1. (a) Reduce five-sevenths of 175. 31d. to the decimal of £2, 6s. 3d.
(6) Express £3, 175. 10 d., the value of 1 oz. of sterling gold, as the decimal of £ 5.
2. What decimal of £1, 175. 6d. is of 3s. 9d., and what decimal of half-a-guinea is 1 of 45. 8d. ?
3. Add together, and reduce to the decimal of £1, 16'73125 of 2s. 6d. and 3785025 of 4d.
4. (a) Reduce of a crown, of half-a-crown, and 1 of 35. 4d., each to the decimal of £i.
(6) Reduce £6, 12s. 6 d. to the decimal of one and a half guineas.
5. Reduce the sum of £'125, £'26, £ 3625, and £83, to the decimal of £6'35.
6. Reduce 1 of 1os. +of 5s. 3d. + 1 of half-a-crown to the decimal of £1, 5s. 9d.
7. What decimal of a £5 note is į of 7s. 6d. + 625 of 1os. -.545 of gs. 2d. ? 8. Reduce £f to the decimal of a guinea.
, 1 of £1, 125., and of 3d., as the decimal of £10.